It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan scraps unification council

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
BBC NEWS

China earlier warned Mr Chen that shutting the council would "trigger a serious crisis".

The world looks prime for WWIII

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Not really, its the same old rhetoric from China, they wont take action against Taiwan unless they are sure they can delay the US from intervening thus presenting the US a fait accompli, currently they are not capable of doing this.

What impressed me the most was the brass of President Chan to tell the US and China to both go... themselves because both sided were pressuring him to keep the council open. I might not agree with your actions but you have to in a way respect a man who has brass!

Related Links
Link 1
Link 2

[edit on 27-2-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Well China may have that option if they present it to the US as you stay out of Taiwan, We dont veto actions against Iran, Not likely to happen but you never know, they did that against NK and Iraq

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
President Chen's popularity rating is at a low 20% (I believe). It has just been announced that Mayor Ma of Taipei has issued a RECALL against President Chen because of his stupid decision to scrap the NUC. President Chen's decision to do this is GREATLY AGAINST public opinion. I can put money that the recall will be successful.

Mayor Ma has strong support in the public view. Because of President Chen's previously stupid actions, the people of Taiwan has been extremely frustrated and has sided with Chen's opposing party. The KMT [Mayor Ma's party] recently won and currently holds majority power in Parliament because of the anger and frustration against the current administration. President Chen is an extremist, no one will deny that. At one point of his administration, his approval ratings were at around 10%.

The U.S. has issued a warning to President Chen and his party stating that if they try and alter the status quo (as they are doing now) , the U.S. will not back Taiwan. I guess the lame-duck president has chose to ignore this.

There are as many people who favor independence as those who favor reunification. Most Taiwanese favor the status quo, which is a state of the Republic of China beyond Beijing's control and will eventually reunify with the mainland when the guidelines of the NUC has been met.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by k4rupt]

new topics

top topics

join