It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smaller, safer metals.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   

MIT researchers have devised a new method for shrinking the size of crystals to make safer metal alloys. The new materials could replace metal coatings such as chromium, which is dangerous for factory workers to produce.

For the chromium replacement, the two made crystals of nickel and tungsten small enough that the resulting alloy is as hard as chromium. The trick is a new twist on electroplating that involves manipulating -- on the nanoscale, or billionths of a meter -- how the nickel and tungsten atoms are laid down as they are plated onto another metal.

SOURCE: ScienceDaily

Don't know really what to say, sorta just an interesting article I came across while surfing the different science NEWS sites.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Wow, this is quite facinating. With this method being safer than the traditional method of making chromium, i wonder if we'll see a resurgence of flashy chrome-plated bumpers and other automobile trim.

I gotta say, i'm constantly amazed at some of the research being done at MIT.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
thats is awsome but the true thing that amazes me is the self reparing metal thats just comeing out. it actulay regrows its worn cristals far out ant it

join