It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did russians go to mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
in threads ive been reading before i heard talk about how russia secretly made it to mars before the usa. is this true? does anyone have any links to share? thanks!

apc

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Russia barely has enough money to justify their current optimistic plans for a mission to Mars.

They were pumping too much money into weapons buildup prior to the Soviet implosion to afford it. MIR was the best they could do.

And the notion that Russia could afford the trip since then is basically laughable. They would have to put a thousand mile wide PepsiCo logo in orbit to even think about the funding. Even if some way some how they were to come up with the money, on their own or through a secret joint venture, it would be rather difficult to hide the radio communications between the crew and Earth. Unless they were to observe radio silence the entire way there and back... But then, how do you sneak an interplanetary vehicle into a gravity assist orbit (slingshot)?

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Yes.....But that is exactly what they would want us to think, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Russia has the worst track record for their Mars probes. The vast majority of them failed. 14 of its 19 missions failed, and only one—Zond 3—can be considered a complete success; the remaining four are, at best, partial successes.

If they could get a man to Mars you would think they would be able to atleast get half their probes their intact.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
wow looks like russia has bad luck with space travel. thats good for the us cause whenever they get to mars they can plant the flag down and claim it as us property and russia would be too late! does anyone think canada ever has a chance of sending a man to mars? if we put more money into it maybe?

jra

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuffofnightmares
does anyone think canada ever has a chance of sending a man to mars? if we put more money into it maybe?

With the help of others, sure. Like a Canadian astronaut hitching a ride with NASA or the ESA or who ever, but a 100% built Canadian space ship with a 100% Canadian crew would be highly unlikely unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   

does anyone think canada ever has a chance of sending a man to mars? if we put more money into it maybe?

I would say alot of the technologically advanced countries like Canada, Japan for example could have a chance at sending a man to mars if they were willing to spend the many billions it would cost. I dont know how spending a few hundred billion would fly with the Canadian taxer payers. If they were behind that then sure why wouldnt it be possible.

I personally think a manned mission to Mars should be a International endeavor so as to spread the cost around. It would be a huge investment for even the richest countries.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   

in threads ive been reading before i heard talk about how russia secretly made it to mars before the usa. is this true? does anyone have any links to share? thanks!

Are you talking about a manned mission?

Because one has never taken place yet, and is argueable impossible with the current technology.

Not for any reason other than, by the time you'd get there, you'd no 1% muscle left.

Although the Russians have set the world records for the longest amount of time spent in space...by far.

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Russia has the worst track record for their Mars probes. The vast majority of them failed.

That's actually true for every single probe sent to mars - the majority failed, it has nothing to do with Russia.

Anyway, a manned mission to mars would cost more than all the countries combined could afford, without going bankrupt....several times over.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
ya a manned mission... i have this feeling they have secret funding going into more advanced space technology, maybe stolen years back or bought from the us or their own, and built the craft and launched it in the far corners of russia... where no one would dare go or spy on. maybe they used backward engineering on a downed ufo. everybody knows russias history was re-written when stalin was around because stalin didnt like his appearence and what history said about him... maybe they took out the space advancements too... any thoughts on this?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have read stories of a russian and a both russian/american manned team-depending on which story u read- landing on mars.

Further, they supposedly found plant and animal life, water and signs of a long dead civilization.

There was a short video of this, but i forget the name. I saw it here at ats.

jra

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
I have read stories of a russian and a both russian/american manned team-depending on which story u read- landing on mars.

Further, they supposedly found plant and animal life, water and signs of a long dead civilization.

There was a short video of this, but i forget the name. I saw it here at ats.

I believe you are thinking of the "alternative 3" video. Which was an old april fools joke from when ever it was made (the 70's?).

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I believe you are thinking of the "alternative 3" video. Which was an old april fools joke from when ever it was made (the 70's?).

Yeah I saw that video also looked really fake But does anyone have any other links or something about russians in space or some other crazy other russian conspiracy??

Edit:Here is the wikipedia on alternative 3 bunch of information on it And This is the link to the whole alternative videos in parts among other videos The video mrmonsoon is talking about it the last one under Alternative Three Just pick the last one and skip to about 12 to 16 minutes it is around there enjoy

[edit on 27-2-2006 by Thug69]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
well the russians has the most extesive lab time in space. Way more then the U.S. Why do you think the U.S. teamed up with them at the space station. They were way ahead of there time when it comes to space. Yeah it got expensive and they had to abandon many projects but i'm sure the research they have and info would be critical to use on any mission to mars. If i remember correctly they are the nation that has had the longest stay in space. I think the Chinese should send some of there people on missions like that. They are smart and there are billions of them. But they are seeking earthly possesions, but that's another story...

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
That's actually true for every single probe sent to mars - the majority failed, it has nothing to do with Russia.

Not true Russia has the single worst record when it comes to Mars. The NASA mars mission have a far better success rate heck the recent spirit and opportunity probes blow the whole Russian mars program out of the water. Both missions were a complete success.

NASA has a 65-percent success rate of getting orbiters into orbit and 80-percent success rate of getting probes on the surface"

link

The overall odds of Mars missions is so low because Russian failures bring the stats down so much.

Anyway, a manned mission to mars would cost more than all the countries combined could afford, without going bankrupt....several times over.

This is also not true most modest missions to Mars Im not talking about Mars Bases and stuff have a estimated cost in the hundreds of billions range most about 100-200 billion. The US is spending more then that on Iraq.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   

ya a manned mission... i have this feeling they have secret funding going into more advanced space technology, maybe stolen years back or bought from the us or their own, and built the craft and launched it in the far corners of russia... where no one would dare go or spy on. maybe they used backward engineering on a downed ufo. everybody knows russias history was re-written when stalin was around because stalin didnt like his appearence and what history said about him... maybe they took out the space advancements too... any thoughts on this?

While this is all possible, I must ask the question.

What possible use does Russia have for all this?

And if this was ever done, the first thing they'd do is brag about it to the world media, not cover it up.

ShadowXIX

NASA has a 65-percent success rate of getting orbiters into orbit and 80-percent success rate of getting probes on the surface"

I'm not talking of direct Russia vs USA comparison, but the world comparison - the whole of europe has had bad success.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Russia has the worst track record for their Mars probes. The vast majority of them failed. 14 of its 19 missions failed, and only one—Zond 3—can be considered a complete success; the remaining four are, at best, partial successes.

The reason why everyone has such a crappy time with their probes is because the electrical conditions around Mars tend to short them out. Zap Zap! To keep us ignorant of how tornadoes and lightning and all these other electrical exchanges occur, they blame it on some dumb # like a scientist using pounds instead of Newtons.

How do they explain the huge dust devils on the Mars, even though it's atmosphere is way thinner than ours? Where does the energy come from to lift these dust particles way up? "ERRR, CO2 sublimating during the summer time creates fast winds!" It's so stupid it makes my head hurt.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
i think russia might have different space agencies and only lets the media have coverage of some of them... russia never was completely honest with the us or the west. i bet those russians are hiding some kinda secret technology that makes their space shuttles travel faster than others. its like cold war 2 - the race to mars.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Russia barely has enough money to justify their current optimistic plans for a mission to Mars.

The Russians are spending money on far less crucial things ( unless underground cities are crucial for some reason) than missions to Mars imo.

They were pumping too much money into weapons buildup prior to the Soviet implosion to afford it. MIR was the best they could do.

Russia thriving again on the final frontier

What do you mean by "spending too much money"? How can you even think in terms of 'money' when it comes to how the USSR functioned? MIR ( and the other seven or more space stations) certainly proved the Russians were far more interested in space than was the USA. If anyone could have afforded to go to Mars it was in fact the Russians.

And the notion that Russia could afford the trip since then is basically laughable.

Why is it exactly beside the fact that you have been led to believe their military economy has much anything to do with their civil one?

They would have to put a thousand mile wide PepsiCo logo in orbit to even think about the funding. Even if some way some how they were to come up with the money, on their own or through a secret joint venture, it would be rather difficult to hide the radio communications between the crew and Earth.

Why would they try to hide it? Would the west admit it if the Russians were going to Mars if they chose to keep it a secret? Arguing in circles due to a very bad set of assumptions imo.

Unless they were to observe radio silence the entire way there and back... But then, how do you sneak an interplanetary vehicle into a gravity assist orbit (slingshot)?

Stellar

[edit on 1-3-2006 by StellarX]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Because one has never taken place yet, and is argueable impossible with the current technology.

It's been possible since the late 50's or early 60's to send a man to Mars or the Moon given the funding last i checked.

Not for any reason other than, by the time you'd get there, you'd no 1% muscle left.

Talk to the Russians about that....

Although the Russians have set the world records for the longest amount of time spent in space...by far.

What sort of journey time are you basing the muscle claim on then?

If your assuming that US 'contracting' would be employed i guess that is a fair claim. I promise we let the Russians ( who dont waste money&resources the same way) build it.

Stellar

apc

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
Why would they try to hide it? Would the west admit it if the Russians were going to Mars if they chose to keep it a secret? Arguing in circles due to a very bad set of assumptions imo.

... Read the opening question. I'll sum it up for you: Did the Russians secretly go to Mars? Answer: They Couldn't Afford To.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join