It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darren McGavin, 'A Christmas Story' father, dies at 83

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Darren McGavin is one of my favorite actors of all time. I guess he was most famous for his role in "A Christmas Story," a movie I didn't see until many years after it was released, even though I have been a fan of Jean Shepherd for forty years.

Darren McGavin was painting a movie set in 1945 when he learned of an opening for a small role in the show, climbed off his ladder, and returned through Columbia's front gates to land the part.

The husky, tough-talking performer went on to become one of the busiest actors in television and film, starring in five TV series, including "Mike Hammer," and endearing holiday audiences with his role as the grouchy dad in the 1983 comedy classic "A Christmas Story."

McGavin, 83, died Saturday of natural causes at a Los Angeles-area hospital with his family at his side, said his son Bogart McGavin.

www.cnn.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

imdb

[edit on 2006/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Everybody knows him from "A Christmas Story", but I liked his work from "Kolchak: The Night Stalker."

Only made 20 episodes, but they sure did leave an impression on me as a child.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I saw the made for TV movie "Tribes" when I was still in the Marine Corps and liked it. McGavin's performance brought him to my attention and I followed him thereafter.

www.imdb.com...

[edit on 2006/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Carseller4 said it all for me.
The worsr ones were the couple that were continued to the next week. That meant a whole week with some monster roaming around before it was killed!

top topics

join