It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Australian Western

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Saw 'The Proposition' last night. Finally, a film about Australia's colonial past that shows it as it really was. Director John Hillcoat and Screenwriter/Musician Nick Cave have done a truly masterful job with this film. At last a 'Western' that we Aussies can embrace.

The cinematography is outstanding. Portraying the harsh, unforgiving landscape as something white men must have feared intensely when they first arrived here.

Great to see David Gulpilil in another film. This man is hugely underrated in this country and deserves more kudos.

John Hurt steals the film in his minor role as bounty hunter Jellon Lamb ("Oh Danny Boy, The flies, the flies are crawling").

The Proposition

[edit on 26-2-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Has this film been released in the U.S. and other countries? I would like to hear some feedback from some fans of Westerns to get their take on it. Or for that matter what my fellow Aussies thought of it... or, or, anyone?

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I see that the film has debuted at 11 in the British Box-Office. Good to see.

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
seen shorts for it on the movie show on sbs.does look good but will wait for it to come out on dvd as i do with most.From the snippets that i saw the cinematography looked awesome, i grew up in the outback so i can relate to the flies.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Hey thanks for the reply mojo4sale, thought I was gonna be the only one on this thread. The film is already out on dvd. I too usually wait for dvd release. From the bush too huh? I think it's a film that all country people can relate to. The brutality depicted in the film is still alive and well in this country. Characters like those in the film ride Harley's now.

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Its out now,cool youve peaked my interest and im gonna go and get it out this weekend.keep an eye on this thread and ill let you know what i thought of it next week. Yeh heaps goin on with the bikers where im at as well. As long as they keep on smashin each other i suppose. I was born in Katherine in the N.T in the 60's, then lived in darwin tennant creek and with my grand parents nth west of alice springs.Now in Adelaide.Ho hum!!

top topics

join