It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. Plant to Make Energy, Bomb Material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Story Here

The single-reactor station, owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority, will become the government's new source of tritium, a hydrogen isotope that enhances the explosive force of thermonuclear weapons.

This is disturbing. Here we are, currently at war with a county for having WMDs. On the verge of a scirmish with NK for developing nukes, and the govt gets a contract with a facility here in the US to do what????? DEVELOP THERMONUCLEAR WEAPONS hydrogen isotopes.

This is stupid. It goes to show how much of a double standard our own damn govt lives by. It's ok for us to do it, but if they try we will bomb them.

*********Note to mods, this is the best place I could find to post this, feel free to move it**********

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Just remember one thing...

In the event that another country has already made nuclear weapons and is ready to use them, we MUST as a nation, be capable of retaliating with equal or greater force...it is the basics of human survival...I don't know about you, but as long as we are fighting other countries with nuclear weapons capabilities, I feel a lot more comfortable knowing we can hold our own if it comes down to it....

That's just the way I feel about it... no dis-credit to you or any others with similar feelings....

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
IAP,

This is concerning news and a most notable double standard. First they revive the idea of the mini-nuke, pre-emption and now were moving towards full-scale production? I've to admit that I'm a little relieved that INEEL is not involved.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am not familiar with nuclear reactions and such. What is the difference between plutonium created as waste and weapons grade plutonium? Could waste plutonium be used to create a standard device (not a dirty bomb)?

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
I've to admit that I'm a little relieved that INEEL is not involved.

You and me both. With my folks being only about 2.5 hours away from there. The thing is, if they are starting it up in one place, you can damn well bet they will bring others on board. My guess is within the next year we will see at least 10 of these facilities, and I would bet the INEEL will be near the top of the list for recruits.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon
What is the difference between plutonium created as waste and weapons grade plutonium?

Check this site out for research/fact sheets on plutonium... I am no expert, but I think I remember hearing that waste plutonium is far too unstable to use in a bomb-type senario....hope the site helps...

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Duh!

I suppose it would have helped if I would have posted the site huh?

Don't mind me...it's
Monday...

Here it is:

www.pu.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Did some researching about TVA and Nuclear Plants and found a couple things...

First, IAP, could you please post, or send me the link for your information? I don't think this is what you are referring to, but this is all I could find about the TVA and Nuclear Power Plants...

www.nuclearpolicy.org...

Second, I found this about Tritium...
"Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen which has one proton and two neutrons . It emits beta particles only and has a half-life of 12.3 years. The maximum beta energy is 18 keV, and the mean beta energy is 6 keV. A beta particle with energy of less than 70 keV will not penetrate the dead outer layer of the skin."

Found here:
www.triumf.ca...

If you could give a little more information, I would appreciate it...

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 10:22 PM
link   
just as the drinking water was losing that fish taste.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ViperFreak
First, IAP, could you please post, or send me the link for your information? I don't think this is what you are referring to, but this is all I could find about the TVA and Nuclear Power Plants...

www.nuclearpolicy.org...

What are you looking for exactly??? Info on the Tenn Plant????? (there is a link in the original post at top) Or was there something else you were after? Let me know I will look for more.

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 08:50 AM
link   
My mistake IAP!! I don't know how I missed that link! I must've thought it was in bold or something...
Sorry about that. I'll take a look at the story now...

Thanks for offering further assistance!

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Anytime VF.

These thing are important to anyone in an area near these plants. They need to be aware what is going on near there home.

At the same time, I think it is also important that people see what the US is doing. We are creating a double standard for us vs other countries by saying they can't do it, but then we do it anyways.

For info on a plant in the northwest, check here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join