It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet's population hits 6.5 billion citizens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
That's right folks, there are now roughly 6.5 billion people on this planet we call home. Just 10 years ago it was one billion people less.

If trends continue, it is estimated that by 2012 there will be 7 billion humans living on Planet Earth. My, what a crowd.

Planet's Population to Hit 6.5 Billion Saturday

A population milestone is about to be set on this jam-packed planet.

On Saturday, Feb. 25, at 7:16 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, the population here on this good Earth is projected to hit 6.5 billion people.

Along with this forecast, an analysis by the International Programs Center at the U.S. Census Bureau points to another factoid, Robert Bernstein of the Bureau's Public Information Center advised LiveScience. Mark this on your calendar: Some six years from now, on Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:36 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, the Earth will be home to 7 billion folks.

These are estimates, of course, but clear trends emerge from the data behind them.

There's that date again, 2012. It's so special, 2012.

2012! 2012!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
All those people have to eat. They have to live somewhere, and they will need medical care.

So invest in food, construction, and medical supply companies! There's money to be made from this.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
True, but doesn't that like mean the world is going to end?

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by carporalpowers

You're right, but nobody has said anything about that yet. Maybe the major change in 2012 is going to be that we take a few billion extra people and send them to Mars, where we have just met our subteranian, cave dwelling Martian brethren.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by carporalpowers

hope it does, give some new creatures the chance to evolve and rule the earth!!

dinosaurs and humans have failed misserably, look all the way through mankinds history all its ever been is WAR.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
st3ve_o, you've got my Way Above vote

If 2012 won't end the world, 7 BILLION people will. Ther are just too many people on the planet, Earth's carrying capacity is not unlimited.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
st3ve_o, you've got my Way Above vote

If 2012 won't end the world, 7 BILLION people will. Ther are just too many people on the planet, Earth's carrying capacity is not unlimited.

7 billion is not enough. The earth can easily handle that number. The most likely upper limit I have seen is around 30 billion. There are higher numbers assuming substantial improvements in agriculture yields and manufacturing efficiencies.

It wouldn't be pretty, and you wouldn't like the standard of living and draconian laws imposed on everyone by necessity, but the earth could support 30 billion people.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i dont know the exact stats, but i heard you could fit everyoen in the world on one of the smaller states in the usa...so i think we have alot of room left.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
All those people have to eat. They have to live somewhere, and they will need medical care.

So invest in food, construction, and medical supply companies! There's money to be made from this.

True, true! To that end my family is investing in a factory that's gonna produce food products. You can't go wrong with food, unless you seriously mismanaged the business.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by beerbaron105
i dont know the exact stats, but i heard you could fit everyoen in the world on one of the smaller states in the usa...so i think we have alot of room left.

To a point ... but a very large portion of the world is uninhabitable. Imagine trying to place all those people in a state like Arizona or New Mexico with its deserts. And there are much worse places.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
dinosaurs and humans have failed misserably, look all the way through mankinds history all its ever been is WAR.

Dinosaurs failed miserably???

Dinosaurs flourished for 140 million years and were the most successful land creatures ever to have lived. If the history of the Earth were compressed into a single year, dinosaurs appeared in early August and disappeared in late November

www.dinosaurvalley.com...

Dinosaurs had a great run, Dinosaurs are one of the most successful groups of animals (in terms of longevity) that have ever lived They are still with us even to this day we just call them birds now.

top topics

join