It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium Fallout - Europe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund

You seem to be forgetting that the DU rounds VAPOURIZE when they hit their target. Vapourized particles can travel very far, even piggyback on a larger and lighter by volume dust particles.
Your assuming because it's heavy it will immediatly fall to the ground, but vapour particles are vapour particles and can cling to anything in the breeze.
Do they still sound like morons?

Yes they do

Look how DU rounds are used in things like M1A2 kinetic energy penetrator or on planes like the A-10 the one thing they all share is they are used on ground targets. Perhaps if they were blowing up DU rounds in the upper Atmosphere it would travel a decent distance. There is no way such a heavy particle would travel thousands of miles when exploding on the ground.

Any solid metal that Vapourized like that of a DU round doesn't stay a vapour very long because it does not retain the energy that made it a vapour in the first place and turns back to a solid particle. In the case of DU a very heavy solid particle which is not carried thousands of miles. This the same for lead and certainly true of the much heavier uranium.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Vapourized is the wrong term and makes you look like fools. Solid particles in the atmosphere are "aerosolized".

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus
Vapourized is the wrong term and makes you look like fools. Solid particles in the atmosphere are "aerosolized".

Regardless.. It wasn't DU from the Middle East that caused this.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

Um.. I was talking about the impact of DU rounds . Uranium is pyrophoric, meaning it burns on friction and impact. DU rounds do partially vaporize on impact . DU round impacts can reach 10,000 degrees Centigrade Uranium boils at about 3818º C

The later solid Microparticles stage of this vapour would indeed be aerosolized.

That was my point any part of the round that vapourized on impact would quickly return to a solid particle.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Great find souljah.

I just revived my old DU thread - and brought up the possibility that DU could spread around the world. Is entirely predictable, given the planet's interrconnectedness.

Check out the links, Poison DUst: Depleted Uranium Kills

ed to add - Oh yeah, then I found this thread.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
OK, perhaps some of you may be right, it could be from the nuke facilities in Europe.
ShadowXIX said:

That was my point any part of the round that vapourized on impact would quickly return to a solid particle.

Are you saying they gravitationally reconfigure themselves?

A vapourized or aerosolised particle are already solid particles, OK, I see what you mean, they were molten, then re-solidified, but that does not mean a particle can't travel in the wind, or attach itself to a regular dirt particle.
How do you know it wouldn't, that's just speculation on your part IMO.

from www.wise-uranium.org...
In 1979 the author worked at the Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory (KAPL) in Schenectady, New York. While trouble shooting a radiological problem, he and his colleagues in the mass spectrometer component accidentally discovered DU aerosols collected in environmental air filters exposed at the Knolls site (Ref. 21). The origin of the DU contamination proved to be the National Lead Industries plant in Colonie, 10 miles (16 km) east of the Knolls site, on the western boundary of the city of Albany, NY. A local newspaper reported that NL was fabricating DU penetrators for 30-mm cannon rounds and airplane counterweights made of DU metal (Ref. 22). A total of 16 air filters at three different locations covering 25 weeks of exposure from May through October of 1979 were analyzed; all contained trace amounts of DU. Three of these air filters were exposed for four weeks each at a site 26 miles (42 km) northwest of the NL plant. This is by no means the maximum fallout distance for DU aerosol particles.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Im not saying that they couldnt travel in the wind they could but not to the extent of the UK from the ME. NASA has already done this with small amounts of plutonium in the upper atmosphere and it traveled a great distance. But theres a big difference between something like this that occurs in the upper atmosphere and on tank armour on the ground

stumason has already shown this was not the case in the UK

top topics

<< 1   >>

join