It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted Uranium Fallout - Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

TimesOnline - UK radiation jump blamed on Iraq shells

RADIATION detectors in Britain recorded a fourfold increase in uranium levels in the atmosphere after the “shock and awe” bombing campaign against Iraq, according to a report.

Environmental scientists who uncovered the figures through freedom of information laws say it is evidence that depleted uranium from the shells was carried by wind currents to Britain.

he results from testing stations at the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) in Aldermaston and four other stations within a 10-mile radius were obtained by Chris Busby, of Liverpool University’s department of human anatomy and cell biology.

Each detector recorded a significant rise in uranium levels during the Gulf war bombing campaign in March 2003. The reading from a park in Reading was high enough for the Environment Agency to be alerted.

Busby, who has advised the government on radiation and is a founder of Green Audit, the environmental consultancy, believes “uranium aerosols” from Iraq were widely dispersed in the atmosphere and blown across Europe.

“This research shows that rather than remaining near the target as claimed by the military, depleted uranium weapons contaminate both locals and whole populations hundreds to thousands of miles away,”

Geee - Thanks Uncle Sam!

Thanks for Spreading the DU-dust all over Europe!

I know - I know, for all you people sitting at home, across the Atlantic, that probably represents no problem, and no danger.

But, here in EUROPE - things get a little more complicated, if the radioactive DU-dust travelled all the way to Britain. That means, that it travelled all across Europe.

Now, I know that certain particles - such as dust, can travel very, VERY far, when picked up by a passing weather front, and I remember that we had rain mixed with desert sand from Sahara in Slovenia.

Makes you think.

HOWEVER, ofcourse the MoD and the DoD say that DU is completly HARMLESS.

And we all belive them...

[edit on 26/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It blows me away that the world turns a blind eye to this poison. It's the modern way to dispose of nuclear waste, give it to the enemy!

www.wise-uranium.org...
An astonishingly high rate of birth defects in the families of Gulf War veterans is especially troubling. For example, Laura Flanders reports that the Veterans Administration conducted a state-wide survey of 251 Gulf War veterans families in Mississippi (Ref. 46). Of their children conceived and born since the war, 67% have illnesses rated severe or have missing eyes, missing ears, blood infections, respiratory problems and fused fingers. Flanders goes on to say that the birth defects are consistent with the effects of radiation from DU and infection from sand fly bites. Others blame experimental vaccines, chemical warfare pills, the insect repellent DEET and smoke from oil well fires for causing birth defects.

Seems like some want to blame everything but DU, unless the other things are aggravating factors.
If this stuff is radiactive, why does the world tolerate this spreading of nuclear waste

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Hmmmm...

I live in Reading and I do remember seeing in the local paper something about this the other day..

Bear with me.....

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
It blows me away that the world turns a blind eye to this poison. It's the modern way to dispose of nuclear waste, give it to the enemy!

Give it to the enemy,lol.
Lets just give it to everyone, friends and allies included.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here we go:

Radiation surge 'from building'
A four-fold increase in radiation levels in the Reading atmosphere could have been down to “local building work”.

Investigators from the Environment Agency were scrambled after tests in Prospect Park revealed rising levels of uranium.

Scientist Dr Chris Busby used the Freedom of Information Act to prise the test figures from the Government – and was shocked by what he discovered.

He believes everyone in Reading inhaled more than 23 million radioactive particles during the six-week high in March and April 2003. Dr Busby told the Evening Post: “It’s four times higher than the normal levels. I was surprised, to be honest, that there was such an increase. It’s a very serious matter.”

Dr Busby said the surge in radiation levels could have been down to the ‘Shock and Awe’ attacks launched by United States forces in Iraq beginning on March 20, 2003 – and that the uranium may have been carried across Europe in the atmosphere.

But top environment chiefs believe the sudden surge in uranium could have been down to building work in the area – although they won’t say where.

Source

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
First-off, if DU is so dangerous then why is the soldiers who have "Gulf War Syndrom" so few (oh maybe it's because the soldiers were the ones who were exposed to Saddam's WMDs back in 1990...OH MY GOSH!)

And wow...212 soldiers from Mississippi were tested? I think it's more probable that the fact they live in Mississippi is the reason for the birth defects.

After all, that whole area (I don't have a specific Mississippi example) wasn't known for its cleanliness, an entire city on the eastern border of Missouri was abandoned because they decided to use used motor oil as a dust-suppressant.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I doubt personally it's from the war in Iraq. Personally, I think it was something going on at AWE. The whole place is so secret, that even when some Government types went to the site a few years ago, they were only allowed in one building with the windows covered, so they couldn't see the rest of the site.

This unexplained "building work" that is cited was probably them doing something at site and it being Tope Secret, they won't say what.

I will see what I can find out.

I am kind of worried though, I live only a mile from Prospect Park and only a few miles from AWE.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What I'm curious about is how does dust that is about 20 times heavier than Silicon-based dust (the natural dust of our world) travel farther?

By simply the weight the dust should travel only a maximum distance 20 times that of the Si-dust.

That is; DU should barely make it 100 miles, let alone 5,000.

This "scientist" seems to be a political demagogue...he should shut-up.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm on a roll today.

It would appear that AWE has been in a state of expansion and development since the beggining of 2003. This article seems somewhat anti-bomb, but it appears to be accurate and is dated April 2004:

AWE Aldermaston and Burghfield are owned by the MoD, but since April 1, 2000 they have been privately managed by AWE-ML (Management Ltd), a consortium of three companies: BNFL, Lockheed Martin, and the facilities management company Serco. The overall objective of this consortium is to make a profit for its shareholders out of the business of building and maintaining Britain's bomb.

The first indications that new "special facilities" were to be built came in June 2002, when articles in the Observer and Guardian newspapers revealed that a Site Development Strategy Plan outlining new developments would be published in the next few weeks. The articles, which cited statements by AWE spokespeople, suggested that the plans involved not merely readiness to replace the Trident nuclear system, but also the possible development of new types of nuclear weapons. Not only would any replacement for Trident (as opposed to its withdrawal and dismantlement) be inconsistent with UK obligations under the NPT; concerns are also growing that Britain might seek to replace Trident with the kind of more 'usable' (some might say 'tactical') low yield or bunker-buster weapons that the Bush administration and US nuclear laboratories have shown such interest in.

The Site Development Strategy Plan was finally made public in August 2002. It emphasised a new image for AWE - turning it from an "industrial factory" into a "science and technology centre" - and included the development of a new science centre, which AWE would share with the academic community, environmental viewing platforms, landscaping schemes, new entrances and visitor centres.

But underneath the green-wash, there were four elements at the heart of the plan, which, taken together, would enable AWE to build new weapons.

i) The new laser facility, for which outline planning permission was granted in December 2003, will replace the existing HELEN laser, with "the UK's own national laser facility". A Notice of Proposed Development (NOPD) for this new laser, named 'Orion', was submitted to West Berkshire Council in October 2003.

The proposal, in outline form, was for a building 26m high; 110m long and 60m wide, for use as a laser generation plant, a target hall for the laser experiments, preparation rooms, laser diagnostics, laser development, optical coating and photometry.

According to the AWE Annual Report for 2002, Orion will be "1000 times more powerful and twice the physical size of the existing HELEN laser at AWE... [and] will enable conditions to be generated that will more closely simulate those found at the centre of a star or within a nuclear detonation - albeit on a minute scale. Laser light will be split into both 'long' and 'short' pulses of power. Ten long pulse beams will create enormous pressure. During this 'long' period, of one thousandth of a millionth of a second, two 'short' pulse beams, delivered in just one millionth of a millionth of a second, will create high temperatures."4 Supporting information to the West Berkshire Council stated that the laser facility is to be used to conduct experiments on minute particles of matter for the study of plasma physics. It is also intended for inertial confinement fusion (ICF) experiments, long associated with research, development and testing of nuclear weapons. Orion is due for completion at the end of 2007.

ii) A new hydrodynamics facility is also in the pipeline, to enable test data to equal that previously only available from underground nuclear tests.

iii) New laboratories are planned for materials testing. These new material science laboratories will also, according to AWE publications, provide underground-test-quality diagnosis of weapons' materials.

iv) Finally, AWE now has in place its much vaunted supercomputer to transpose test data into mathematical models of warhead performance.

Source

So, in conclusion, it does not appear to be DU in the atmosphere, but actually construction and expansion activity at the 2 nuclear sites around my home town, Reading. That would explain why the 4 fold increase was only seen in a ten mile radius from AWE Aldermaston and AWE Burghfield.

Souljah, son't mean to ruin your latest thread against the West, but it's not DU that caused this, rather activity at our Nuclear Weapons establishments.

[edit on 26/2/06 by stumason]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I am somehow doubtful DU blew across the mid-east to europe....

ok, lets compare the explosion at chenobyl to these DU traces.....I got a feeling chernobyl would of blown more radiactive material into the atmosphere than DU from Iraq did.

On a side note, it is said everyone in the US has minute quantities of plutonium in their system...I dont really see a devastating jump in birth defects and this happened in 70' or 80's I think...it had to do with NASA.

anyway dont panic! I dont think we have all been poisoned.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
I am somehow doubtful DU blew across the mid-east to europe....

ok, lets compare the explosion at chenobyl to these DU traces.....I got a feeling chernobyl would of blown more radiactive material into the atmosphere than DU from Iraq did.

On a side note, it is said everyone in the US has minute quantities of plutonium in their system...I dont really see a devastating jump in birth defects and this happened in 70' or 80's I think...it had to do with NASA.

anyway dont panic! I dont think we have all been poisoned.

Nah, it's just another Souljah anti-west post. This has nothing to do with DU, rather the two Nuclear Weapons establishments that we have in Reading undergoing expansion.

This fits in with the official line of "building work" which they wouldn't elaborate on. Because they couldnt say what it was, it must be AWE as that place is Top Secret.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ahhhh Im not familiar with those facilities but if they are involved in nuclear weapons research/development, im sure this is somehow contributing to this.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
There are so many out right lies and myths about DU on the internet its not even funny.

Uranium is one of the heaviest elements on the planet it has a specific gravity of 18.7 it would not spread thousands of miles. It would be like saying gold dust which has a specific gravity of 19 is going to travel thousands of miles
These "Environmental scientists" should brush up on their physics because they sound like morons.

The fact is DU is only slightly more radioactive then Natural Uranium which is located all over earth. Its about as dangerous as lead which aint great for the enviroment either and can be poisonous if you eat it. But guess what people are going to keep using lead in bullets.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Its the new age psuedoscientific fears....the 'eviromentalist' dont understand it, so they make up their own science and it often involves a catastrophe of some sort.

Global Warming (theory)- this is speculation and theory, but I hear it treated as fact.

Nuclear winter (theory)- once again this is a theory that is treated as fact. No one truly knows the effect of many nuclear devices being detonated. This is a good 'theory' but this almost makes more since with meteor impacts IMO.

there is alot od pseudoscientific things out there and this is just more spread by ignorance to fuel more ignorance.

Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Wake up call...
Here is what the Army itself has to say about DU:

"Personnel inside or near vehicles struck by DU penetrators could receive significant internal exposures."

From the Army Environmental Policy Institute (AEPI), Health and Environmental Consequences of Depleted Uranium Use in the U.S. Army, June 1995

"Short-term effects of high doses can result in death, while long-term effects of low doses have been implicated in cancer."

"Aerosol DU exposures to soldiers on the battlefield could be significant with potential radiological and toxicological effects."

www.iacenter.org...
also a list of good resources to read -
www.iacenter.org...

and read this, written by Michio Kaku, professor of Theoretical Physics, CUNY

As the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics notes, "New uses are being found for ‘depleted’ uranium, i.e. uranium with the percentage of U-235 lowered to about 0.2%. Uranium and its compounds are highly toxic, both from a chemical and radiological standpoint."

Of course the military wants us to believe that DU is harmless, but science and history tell us otherwise. Most of the sites that say it is harmless are from the government, what does this tell you? And, it is against Geneva Convention to use DU, hmmm, now why would that be? Ya think they just pulled it out of their butt?? There are entire areas of Iraq that are completely barren in Iraq, that the govt is tellilng us about. And it has a half-life of 4.5 billion years which means that nothing, no kind of life form can live in those barren areas FOREVER. (The earth only has another 4.5 billion years before the sun can't sustain us any more.)
Wake up people, deny ignorance. The entire world should be very, very concerned and afraid of this horrible susbstance. It's nuclear waste for crying out loud, the radiation from Chernobyl spread halfway across the world, at least.

-Forestlady

:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
shadowXIX said:

Uranium is one of the heaviest elements on the planet it has a specific gravity of 18.7 it would not spread thousands of miles. It would be like saying gold dust which has a specific gravity of 19 is going to travel thousands of miles These "Environmental scientists" should brush up on their physics because they sound like morons.

You seem to be forgetting that the DU rounds VAPOURIZE when they hit their target. Vapourized particles can travel very far, even piggyback on a larger and lighter by volume dust particles.
Your assuming because it's heavy it will immediatly fall to the ground, but vapour particles are vapour particles and can cling to anything in the breeze.
Do they still sound like morons?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I came across the following story this morning.
I knew Halliburton was involved in some way with Aldermaston but didn't know to what extent. Quite deeply by the sound of things

www.rense.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Over all numbers for casualties of troops with DU added in, shows clearly that the American forces took the brunt of the casualties. Overwhelming numbers of US troops were slaughtered by DU.

Advantage: DU

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

www.antiwar.com...
I don't use the word massive lightly. The official Veterans Administration GWVIS report of September 2002 states that 159,238 soldiers who were in the Gulf in 1990-91 are disabled. Of that number over 111,000 are 10% or more disabled. 8,000 Gulf War vets have died.

Seems nobody ever hears about the soldiers who die slowly.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Do they still sound like morons?

Yes.

When I have clearly demonstrated above where the contamination came from, people still seem to want to ignore it.

Notice the conspicuos abscence of Souljah from his own thread when he is usually very vocal.

For those that still want to blame the war for this, answer me one question.

How come radiation was only detected in increased amounts in a 10 mile radius of Reading and not anywhere else? Seems a bit specific for a big cloud of DU to come and just fall on my town, doesn't it?

My town being the one with two nuclear weapons facilities undergoing refurbishment and expansion at the time of the increase.......

Hmmm, doesn't take a Vulcan to see the logic there does it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join