It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TR Traps Last Tomcat from Combat Mission

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
No Browno.
The B was an engine upgrade and the D had a full cockpit overhaul.

Neither made it last.

-DT

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's such a shame to see one of the world's best interceptors ever made have to retire. I really wish that it could've seen a few upgrades to keep it in the air until we could get a real fleet defense replacement.

I just hope that we get something better than the F-18 soon. I think a navalized F-22 would be the only real option that could possibly fullfil the role of the F-14 properly.

Farewell and R.I.P. F-14.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The Tomcat was a better bomber than the F18. At least according to a magazine i have read.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The bombcat was a pretty cool modification.
Once again, vf-41 black aces were the first to actually bomb anything in combat, which interestingly enough was when I was on the roosevelt on the cruise of 1995 off the coast of serbia! A part of history indeed...! lol

The big advantage over the hornet was and always will be range.
The silly F-18 has such a small range that it gets ruled out for any type of bombing missions because the airforce has a greater range and the 18 can't get in close enough to where it needs to bomb.

The tomcat had a real nice range which is why it's called the fleet defender. They would always launch the tomcats first and then the 18's "Just in case" anything got through.
yeah right...heh.

Another interesting note from that cruise is that we lost aircraft 101 due to a combined hydrolic failure. (Both pilots punched out and were fine) but 101 went to the bottom of the ocean.
Guess who was up on ravens walk and got the LAST PICTURE ever of that aircraft?

That's right! ME! Dizzy!!!!
Mwahahaha!

-DT

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Really sucks i hate the F-18 ,Nothing like the sound of a tomcat ripping and roaring through the sky

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mob574j
Really sucks i hate the F-18 ,Nothing like the sound of a tomcat ripping and roaring through the sky

I totally AGREE with you, The F/A-18 is just an overrated piece of crap.

Ok it was better than the previous A-6 Intruders and A-7 Corsairs but i wouldnt go too far with it by building a 'super' hornet and replacing the
F-14 Tomcat.

I wouldnt mind so much if the Super Tomcat 21, Proposed F-15N, Naval ATF took over its role but not an F/A-18 EF Stupid hornet.

I dont think the F-35 JSF would fulfill the Tomcats role too, The Proposed
F-15N would be the closest to the Tomcat.

If i had a choice to have an F-4 Phantom or an F/A-18 in the USN, I would go for the F-4 Phantom although they are older and its also more of an Interceptor/Fighter and faster too.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Browno]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join