It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Defence Radar meets NATO standards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I'll give you the source but It's written in farsi, you can also check it out on WAFF. (Back on the topic) It's important for us to have air defence with radar installations all around Iran. With the capability of us making our own SAMS and modern radars we are definatley a force to be reckoned with and would be no pushover what so ever, what are your thoughts on this?.

www.farsnews.com...

[edit on 26-2-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   

what are your thoughts on this?

Good for them!

I would imagine that Iraq was up to or at least close to "NATO standards" (whatever those may be) at one time (at least during the first Gulf war), I don't recall it making much of a difference.

As soon as a radar site paints a U.S. plane you can basically start the countdown to that sites destruction.

If there is a U.S. / Iran war I give three days tops before at least 90 percent of Irans radar sites are gone with minimal U.S. airplane losses.

[edit on 26/2/06 by Skibum]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

what are your thoughts on this?

Good for them!

I would imagine that Iraq was up to or at least close to "NATO standards" (whatever those may be) at one time (at least during the first Gulf war), I don't recall it making much of a difference.

As soon as a radar site paints a U.S. plane you can basically start the countdown to that sites destruction.

If there is a U.S. / Iran war I give three days tops before at least 90 percent of Irans radar sites are gone with minimal U.S. airplane losses.

[edit on 26/2/06 by Skibum]

iranian SAM systems are not just limited to radar they also have alternative ways to track & shoot targets such as Electro-optic and infra-red and in some cases even manual joystick control on some systems.

for example the Tor-M1 that iran is getting can use I.R,eltro-optic and radar to guide its missiles obviously each has there advantages and disadvanatges and hopefully iran uses them effectivly for there defence.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
I'll give you the source but It's written in farsi, you can also check it out on WAFF. (Back on the topic) It's important for us to have air defence with radar installations all around Iran. With the capability of us making our own SAMS and modern radars we are definatley a force to be reckoned with and would be no pushover what so ever, what are your thoughts on this?.

www.farsnews.com...

[edit on 26-2-2006 by Mehran]

if you have some time could you do a basic translation(not the whole thing but just key points such as range, maximum targets/aircraft it can track etc.. just a few sentences.

by the way this is great news, do you know what SAM system these are going to be matched with.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Though an improvement over other systems no doubt, does it have the volume and air cover required to simply not be destroyed by standoff guided weapons and then exploited, much like the Iraqi air defense in 91.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
Though an improvement over other systems no doubt, does it have the volume and air cover required to simply not be destroyed by standoff guided weapons and then exploited, much like the Iraqi air defense in 91.

that basically depends on

1. if the decide to keep it on for long peroids of time without turning it off when not needed.

2. if its stationary and not mobile(vehicle mounted or trailer mounted).

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
...and hopefully iran uses them effectivly for there defence.

Better yet, let's hope they're never needed.

As for the build-up of the indigionous defence capabilities in Iran, I personally veiw it as a good thing. While Iran is no freind to my own country, taking away reliance on other global powers for neccesities such as defence means Iran is increasingly in control of thier own destiny, and not a puppet to be used for someone else's political gain.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
While its good that Iran has thier weapon industry and radar tech I hope it will never be used in anger, the radar I am sure is "up to standards" but I am sure the US already knows about the standards and how to defeat them. Which makes me wonder if the US is going to attack do SF teams already know where and how to take them out?

R21

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Iran has all the tools of a "Super Power". So by default it is a super power and should be treated as such. The US may try to curb Iranian development by hostile means, but what will the cost be?

Our weaponary has out evolved us and if we don't become more responsible, we will fall victim to it.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Iran has all the tools of a "Super Power". So by default it is a super power and should be treated as such.

Don't kid yourself, Iran is at best a “regional force“, its doesn't meet the criteria required to be a superpower. Their SAM systems might be formidable to regional nations but its not anything that will challenge the USAF.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran

Looks just like a Launderette in Bethnall Green on a Friday night

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
i think iran will certainly not be no push overs!! - you've got to look in iraq they never really had any a FULLY TRAINED MILITARY except saddams 'Republican Guards'.

iran has a stable military (professionaly trained), some good aircraft/some good equipment.

i really hope it doesn't come to war because EVERYONE knows its just for political gain
- and to be honest i don't think it will come to war, especially now iran and russia seem to have this peaceful agreement.

mehran is just a regular member (like us) - this proves iran is a stable country and not apart of the ^axis of evil^ as bush&blair wants us to believe - he seems cool and has made some good threads

anyway i hope nothing happens in iran mehran, and hope to see you around here more!!
- afterall thats what the internets about (learning from each others cultures)

take care.

[edit on 1-3-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Optical and infrared are much hard to use to hit a target.

For example, the f-117 and B-2 buth use special methods to cool their exhaust.

As for radar, a couple of squads of "wild weasles"(usmilitary.about.com... )should take care of most of them.

Here it is down to brass tacks:

Iran cannot stop US/allies/Nato from distroying whatever it wants with planes/missles and bombs...period.

It does have ok defences so yes, there may be some loss's on our side, but nowhere near enough to stop or slow us down.

Can Iran shoot missles at Israel, yes.
Can Iran shoot missles at our boys in Iraq and Afganistan, yes.

Would they pay a very, very heavy tool for doing so, YES!

I think Iran is hoping/counting on Russia and or China and or Pakistan and or Syria to aid it if it needs/wants.

new topics

top topics

join