It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 minute 45 seconds of non - stop machine gun fire...and no barrel heating...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This video just shows how far barrel tech has come since the m-60 support rifle was made! This video is awesome for the fact that the barrel isnt even hot!

heres the link to the video.

www.strategypage.com...

If its been seen before i apologise, but I just thought all gun freaks should see this!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Wow that is awesome. I wish barrels like that were available when in was in the service.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo
This video just shows how far barrel tech has come since the m-60 support rifle was made! This video is awesome for the fact that the barrel isnt even hot!

Negative. You can clearly see the heat wavering above the barrel. You could actually do this with several heavy-barelled MGs, but after the session you can pretty much throw away the barrels because the intense heat distorts them.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thats pretty impressive.

Its scary how you can literally start to melt the barrel of a M-4. I saw a guy at the range trash his older M-4 barrel going crazy full auto with a 100rd beta magazine. But then I saw a video of a guy doing the same with a XM-8 and it took the abuse.

Guns are getting alot better

Even semi auto AKs and AR-15 can get so hot
ouch

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Lone star, as some one who did infantry training in 1994, I would of loved to see this in service here in the UK. I've shot loads of service rifles and support weapons, but this just blew me away!

The GPMG (Gimpy) Do this? no way, not 850 rounds non stop - It would be glowing white by then. Minimi support weapon ? No bloody way - 250 rounds max before barrel overheat to danger levels. LSW ? you got to be kidding.... my drift is that this is awesome, and theres no infantry heavy support barrel around till this that could cope with such an awesome amount of abuse - Unless you yanks have been hiding kit in the woods again

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Damn It! the site is offline...

I would have loved to see that...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
WHAAAA ??????

do you REALLY believe that the barrel " did not get hot " - your claim not mine

i dont want to sound sarcastic - wut where the heck do you think the " waste heat " went ???????

sheesh - i guess the fairies sucked the excess energy away throuhj a straw

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
Damn It! the site is offline...

I would have loved to see that...

Video is now up and working.

Its pretty impressive it was able to function through that abuse. Nice little pile of brass he had to the side of him
. Run of the mill M60E3s are not capable of sustaining a rapid continuous fire of much more then 200 rounds without catastrophic failure of the barrel.

They said this barrel was designed to withstand 15,000 rounds of non-continuous use before needing to be changed.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Chuffin 'eck! That is one useful looking bit of kit. I've fired the GPMG on bursts rapid many times, but the most i've ever gotten out of a barrel is 400rds before I had to change it. Bear in mind that this was not in one continuous burst, but a series of bursts in rapid succession, and included a reload. The bugger was glowing at the end.

I won't go into the "was it hot or not" debate about this barrel, the fact remains that it did more than most barrels could handle. The only down side for this barrel would be that the Number 2 would have to carry one hell of a lot of ammo to keep up with the rate of fire available!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ok it may have been hot to touch - but there was no visible heat exchange going on in the barrel. No glowing barrel, no red or white colour change due to the temp raising significantly at all. My choice of words may have been wrong, but the fact stands that in the video the shooter can raise the breech cover - If, like any other belt fed support weapon the barrel had of been in catastrophic failure temps the breech block would of been in the hundreds of degrees, and the firer would of had to stop or risk burns or explosions in his ammo due to the temp. I put 300 rounds through a gimpy once - and I had to physically stop due to the breech block temp - It nearly roasted off one side of my face and detonated the ammo. Thats why i said the barrel wasn't hot ( Wrong wording maybe I admit).

So ignorant ape you want to flame me, do it from an experience stand point not from some silly little 'Oh the fairys took it' angle. Pr##ks like you really lower the tone of ATS - Your an inexperienced waster who instead of starting a good thread just sits and flames.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
How did they do that? BBL technology with specialized ammo? What. Did anybody find out. I got no sound so I didn't hear what the technition said.
skep

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
No special ammo, just 8 links of 7.62 ammo.... What the tech said was that they hardened the barrel to take 15 thousand rounds before barrel change... Yes thats 15 thousand rounds!!

They dont say how they harden it, it just has been. Will dig to see if i can find any more info for you all

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   
here you go read all about it!

read till you get to the ' makes over heating a non- issue' now thats a dream support weapon.

www.military.com...

A very durable and well liked weapon for the socom lads out there...very nice indeed.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calamus77
Wow that is awesome. I wish barrels like that were available when in was in the service.

Man, you must be old...

The British army did this nearly 100 years ago...7 days straight.

Okay, okay, it was with a Vickers, which is water-cooled and only fires 550rpm, and it completely stripped the rifling of the barrel, turning it into the world's worst scatter-gun, but it proved the manufacturer's quality...and as far as I know that's where the record lies...

All I need is a link...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Except.......
Those guns were water cooled and were not light by any means. Neither the Vickers or the Brownings used by us Yanks.
THe quest has always been for a light weight dependable machine gun. Preferably one man portable. Ammo distributed among the rest of the men in the squads or teams. Barrel life and heat transfer seems to have been the missing ingredient. Many of the posters on this thread seem to be more acutely aware of this limitation than you or myself.
I like the Chrome lining in the barrel chamber. Wonder what took them so long. Dont the Russians use this in their AK Variants.?? Standard??
One thing missing from this article..is cost though I am aware that a good machine gun is not inexpensive. But then again ..what is the cost of your hind parts in a despirate situation..or the others in your team??

By the way ..this reminds me of a brain storm I had at the range one day when shooting my Mini 14. I put about 80 rounds through it quickly in 30 rnd mags. Then in one of my smarter moves..for some reason I put it across my arm Davy Crocket/Mountain man style. Wow!!! Brain Fart!!! Even in .223 they get hot quick. Obviously I havent needed to repeat that lesson since. I had a nice burn mark across my right bicep. Amazing what a little impromptu motivation seminar can teach you that you dont soon forget.

Great article guys,
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The video of the M60E4 is from a collection of videos from the blackwater shootout in 2004 or 2005.

armedforcesjournal.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
WOW

if thats the cyclic rate of an M60 then its been slowed down ALOT

850 rounds in 1min45

thats 105 seconds

850/105 = 8.095 rounds per second

8.095 X 60 = 485 rounds per minutre at full auto or cyclic rate

the published cyclic rate for this gun is 650 rounds per minute , so therefore 485 rpm is 1/3 LESS performance

thus that vickers which fires *only* at 550 rpm is actually a faster firing gun!

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It may fire slower than the old m-60 but i doubt an m-60 could last long enough to do a full minute on auto let alone 20 seconds so the argument you use is null and void. As for the vickers it was water cooled and heavy. It also had a nasty habit of springing leaks when least expected.

This new barrel rocks and will save lives when it enters regular service.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   

so the argument you use is null and void

how can math be `null and void`

my arguement is based on facts , yours is based on an emotive response and opinion.

The fact is that teh gun under testing fails to meet its specification - as that was fired under ideal conditions.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Barrel life and heat transfer seems to have been the missing ingredient. Many of the posters on this thread seem to be more acutely aware of this limitation than you or myself.

After I learned about things like heat transfer, I kinda wondered why machine guns don't have heat sinks attached to the barrel. I know some guns are "sleeved" to enhance cool air travelling across the barrel and the Lewis Gun had a full-length sleeve, which it turned out was unnecessary, but is there something about a heat sink which would warp a barrel?

I like the Chrome lining in the barrel chamber.

Didn't the original M 60 come with stellite lining the barrel, to allow it to continue firing while EXTREMELY hot? Then again, this was the design without a barrel handle, but a barbecue glove instead for barrel changing. What's the first thing you lose dragging your arse through the jungles of Vietnam?

new topics

top topics

join