It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meaning of Personal Perspective in Dreams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
What do you think the differences are in dreams that have different perspectives? Sometimes my dreams are exactly like reality, I'm thinking and interacting from the first person perspective. Other times in my dreams I can see myself doing everything, as if I'm just observing from a few feet away, but I'm still thinking in the first person. It's as if I don't make any distinction that I'm slightly away from my body watching.

The third perspective I encounter, which happened to me last night, is a mix of third and first person. I was watching or observing someone else but I was thinking as if I was that person. In the dream I was a young black man in a room filled with many other young men. There were plywood boxes all around, probably the size of coffins with open ends. Some were stacked on each other, each of the compartments acting like a bed of some sort. We were all in loin cloths, it sort of reminded me of the slaves in the movie Gladiator. There were a few dirty blankets lying around and many were sleeping. Some played games or rested in makeshift hammocks. Then someone came to pick me up and take me somewhere. I know they paid money for my release but I remember thinking it was only temporary. As I had left and come back to the place many times. But I felt somewhat comfortable with whoever was taking me. As I said, my thoughts were very first person but all of my visual images are of being a few feet away from 'me', just sort of watching. I don't know, it's very odd. But I was wondering if others dreamt like this too or what possible indications the perspective may have. Thanks for the help.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The majority of my dreams are like the last kind u described actually. It's more like im watching a movie...I'll dream about people and places i dont know and im not actually in the dream im just observing. Others are similar to what you described I'll dream that im a different person in an unfamilar environment. I very very rarely have dreams where i am 'me' or dreams about my life and places and people i know. Strangely enough though the dreams i have had about being myself are the one's ive become lucid in..or at least temporarily lucid. I used to dream in the 1st person but it seems to have decreased with age.

join