It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skunk Works goes Supersonic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
QSST is the plane from the future, or at least it name referes to it, Quiet Small Supersonic Transport. The plane is the next generation small transport plane designed and created by Lockheed Martins best design crew"Skunk Works". The same design "branch" has also became famous for creating planes such as the Sr-71, F-117 and the newest attackplane the JSF F-35.

The QSST is the transport plane from the 21 century, able to carry 12 persons with fully luxuries. The plane itself has a range of 4000 nautical miles, with supercruise abilitiy. Apparently more silenter than the B-2 the QSST can go supersonic over ordinary cities, someting that the Conocorde couldn't

The biggest change from ordinary planes to the QSST is the tail and the engines. The V-shaped tail is Lockeheeds patented way of making the plane more silent. Also the canards on the top of the front create more lift and help the plane move more silent.

As founder and former CEO of Gulfstream, Allen E. Paulson understood his customers and their need to minimize travel time and maximize comfort and operating flexibility. J. Michael Paulson founded Supersonic Aerospace International LLC (SAI) to fulfill his father’s vision: to make quiet supersonic flight a reality. The Quiet Supersonic Transport (QSST) is the embodiment of Allen E. Paulson’s lifelong dream.

QSST’s design is the culmination of 3 ½ years of work performed at a cost of nearly $25 million. Under contract to SAI, Lockheed Martin’s famed ‘Skunk Works’ designed an aircraft that can be built, can be certified and can satisfy all established (and proposed) sound and environmental regulations. QSST will be capable of supersonic flight without an objectionable sonic sound level, virtually eliminating takeoff sound objections that limited the now-retired Concorde. In addition, QSST will operate from 8,000 foot runways, allowing it to utilize nearly all of the world’s business airports.

-Be the first to market a truly supersonic aircraft
-Exploit and create global markets
-Uniquely be capable of quiet supersonic flight over land
-Revolutionize air travel by cutting travel time in half
-Produce range and performance statistics compatible with market demands
-Meet all current and forecast regulatory requirements
-Operate safely and reliably

The plane should be ale to go 1.8 mach and its unit cost would be around 80 million $

www.saiqsst.com...

www.ainonline.com...

www.nysscpa.org...

[edit on 25-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So its just basically a supersonic buisness jet then, Beast innit!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Well its pretty important that this plane is quiet enough to fly supersonic over ordinary cities. The Concord could never do that and was useless for trips form the East to West coast of the US.

I could see alot of really rich buisness men wanting to buy this. Time is money and supersonic saves time.

Plus the plane looks pretty cool
You might be shocked how much aesthetics can effect sales. I smart car salesman once said we dont sell cars we sell rims and a paint job.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
That's a pretty cool plane, and the development of it initself is cool as well.

So, they have any plans to make Passenger liners/JumboJet type planes that can do the things that one can, cause that would be even better.

Oh, and nice find FIN.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
F3,

>>
QSST is the plane from the future, or at least it name referes to it, Quiet Small Supersonic Transport. The plane is the next generation small transport plane designed and created by Lockheed Martins best design crew"Skunk Works". The same design "branch" has also became famous for creating planes such as the Sr-71, F-117 and the newest attackplane the JSF F-35.
>>

Interesting that it's ground noise is compared to the inside of a car at 70mph or a 'constant conversation'. I wonder what the area footprint and persistence is? If the buzz is good and wide or enduring, it could still be a strong irritation to have several such jets flying over a single state at once.

Even more, I wonder what the relative SFCs are like in an age where even Av-Ker is spiraling out of sight.

Lastly, does it _have to_ do an optimized profile or can it achieve similar range efficiencies in puddle jumper mode as when collecting several people from disparate cities on the way to a conference overseas?

And yes, it is one /heck/ of a looker. I don't usually like midwing monoplanes but this one strangely reminds me of the old Hustler...

Nice Find.

KPl.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Hate to break the news, but this was covered last year.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   
If Planeman saw this post he would very happy as he's always been studying this compounding wing

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This is an important breakthrough! Think about it, if there is a way to achieve supersonic flight without creating a sonic boom, you can combine this with stealth technology. I see this new technology playing an important role in future tactical aircraft. Has anyone though that this may already be flying on some military aircraft?

Tim

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Actually yes... The B-2 is apparently a very silent plane... Zaphod once told me that he didn't even notice one even though it was flying just a couple of 100 feet from him... Of course it didn't fly supersonic, but still... It would be great for the manufacturers if they could make a stealthy plane silent, it would be impossible to catch...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Actually yes... The B-2 is apparently a very silent plane...

I know about the B-2, I saw one do a fly-by at Andrews AFB.

My question was in reference to the Supersonic flight without a sonic boom! To the best of my knowledge, the B-2 can Not go supersonic. Does anyone know of a plane that can reach Mach 1 without a sonic boom?

Tim

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I believe that a B-2 goes supersonic in this picture, however...

I did a small search over this matter, and as my quotes explain, the B-2 cannot go supersonic... But what about the picture...??

Greater efficiency helps the B-2 travel long distances in a short period of time. It's not the fastest craft around -- the military says it's high subsonic, meaning its top speed is just under the speed of sound (around 1,000 ft/sec or 305 m/s) -- but it can go 6,900 miles (11,000 km) without refueling and 11,500 miles (18,500 km) with one in-flight refueling. It can get anywhere on Earth on short notice.

Maximum speed: Mach 0.85 (560 knots, 1000 km/h)

And to your question about the sonic boom, I'am not totally sure, but I believe that a plane cannot reach mach 1 without creating a sonic boom. The sonic boom is created when the humidity and the dirt int the air make contact with the fast plane. But a plane can go mach 1 without making any noise, that is what the QSST concept is all about. The noise of a sonic boom (correct me if I'am wrong) is created when the atoms in front of the plane are pushed forward with a high speed. The atoms in front of the plane get scueezed together (high pressure). Because of the speed, the atoms can't fill the "empty room" behind the plane, so low-pressure is created. Those things combined create a boom that (when hits the ground) makes a noise. The QSST concept is using the V-shaped tail so that low/high pressure can't be created, and therefore no sound... (not much at least...)

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The picture of the B2 just shows localised condensation in low pressure areas, nothing to do with the sound barrier.
The QSST lengths the time of the over pressure associated with a shock wave. Longer time and same energy = lower intentainouse noise ie you get a rumble insead of a bang.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
AAAH... And this only happend at low ground close to water where the humidity is very high...

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost
Has anyone though that this may already be flying on some military aircraft?

Tim

I would have to say its almost a given that if this is being presented as a civilian technology the military has had this option presented to them long before.

There might be some downsides to this design that while dont really matter to a civilian market could make the military decide not to use it.

top topics

join