It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earthquake That Wasn't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ran across this article regarding citizens of Maine reporting that they felt an earthquake that seismographs didn't record.

Was it an earthquake?

SKOWHEGAN -- Reports continued to pour in Friday from residents who said they experienced what appeared to be earthquake tremors at about 10 a.m. Thursday morning.

Although state officials said no seismic experience was recorded on any of the instruments in Maine or New England, Somerset County's Emergency Management Director Robert Higgins Sr. said he still aims to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Higgins said the number and validity of reports received Thursday and Friday -- in addition to similar reports last Friday in Solon -- indicate Thursday's event was significant and not just a sonic boom.

"Something was wrong," Higgins said. "What bothers me is that it didn't show up on any of the seismic equipment. Those overseas (jet) flights are up 24,000 to 30,000 feet. That wasn't it. The incidents covered such a large area of such significance, if it didn't show, why didn't it?"

other related links to this story
Strong Tremors Shake Residents In Somerset County

Possible causes: a Sonic boom? underground explosion as in quarry work? or a real earthquake? Now wouldn't the seismographs still record the movement even if it was underground explosion? Could there be something more sinister behind this, like the seismographs purposedly turned off or something or fed incorrect data to hide a secret govt project like an underground base or something? Kennebunker is in Maine, not sure how close to the area where the tremor is being reported from, but perhaps something is bieng expanded that we are not supposed to know about?

a bit more:

Residents baffled by mystery tremors

Marvinney said he contacted the New England Seismic Network in Massachusetts, which hadn’t picked up on any seismic activity in the area.

"I’m surprised we didn’t pick up anything. There are other kinds of explanations like quarry work and roadwork," he said.

Higgins said he checked with Guilford Industries to see if the company had been doing any quarry work, but was told there hadn’t been any blasting since last fall.

"It’s just unexplainable, I guess," he said

[edit on 2-25-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Given the description, the size of the affected area, and the denial of other causes, I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and suggest something truly wild.

Could it have been a gravity wave?

There seems to have been some unusual astronomical phenomena ocurring recently; I've kinda expected Something weird to be the result.

Perhaps this is/was it?

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That's definately strange.
I wonder what it could have been.

As for it being a gravity wave, well that's as good a theory as any, though I'd expect reports of things being broken or crushed if it was adding gravity.

Maybe it was something Seismographs don't pick up, like at a frequency they dont pick up or something, don't know alot about seismographs, so I don't know how likely that is.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is a different prespective, but here goes...

How about tunnels being built underground from Canada for who knows what purpose???

Nothing surprises me any more.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Well, I don't know if it was related, but there was an earthquake in SE Ontario today:
www.iris.edu...

I can't imagine an earthquake missed the seismic sensors, btw.

Info from wiki on gravity waves:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hi,

Just a thought , but Thursday was the 23rd, right? Now I now that Maine is a long way away, but could this have anything to do with it? Would also explain why the seismic sensors "missed it"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here's an idea...people in Maine don't know what an earthquake really is cause it never happens there...or very rarely and rather small earth quakes.

new topics

top topics

join