It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officers injured in Dublin riot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Several police officers have been injured in a worsening riot situation in the centre of Dublin.

Disturbances broke out ahead of a unionist rally in the city.

Stones and other missiles have been thrown after republican demonstrators mounted a counter-march. The rally was cancelled after marchers left the area.

Gardai and republicans have been involved in skirmishes in O'Connell Street and unionists are penned in at Parnell Square

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Republicans are trying to prevent a Unionist march in Dublin. The riot is getting worse by the hour. Not good.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Just seen the pictures on BBC..

Very worring...people are leaving, but skirmish and problems are still occuring

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The Republic is becoming even more like their pals up North, its unusual for trouble breaking out like this in Dublin, its usually Belfast that gets the trouble.
The Unionists were just asking for trouble, having a "love ulster" rally in Dublin. According to my knowledge the last time that there was sectarian trouble in Dublin was in the Michael Colins times, the early 1900's

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
The Republic is becoming even more like their pals up North, its unusual for trouble breaking out like this in Dublin, its usually Belfast that gets the trouble.
The Unionists were just asking for trouble, having a "love ulster" rally in Dublin. According to my knowledge the last time that there was sectarian trouble in Dublin was in the Michael Colins times, the early 1900's

Well,
they marched last year with no problems. But the march is being moved to next month, expect more and more trouble.

this is weird for the Republic, 100 years since this has happened.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Why would they want to have a love ulster rally in dublin, its in a completely different provence? Lets hope they trouble does not spread to Belfast, but I think that it might.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Why would they want to have a love ulster rally in dublin, its in a completely different provence? Lets hope they trouble does not spread to Belfast, but I think that it might.

it was about keeping Ulster in the United Kingdom, they have done marches before and no trouble has happened. This is so strange for it just to happen now. I am from the loyalist side of Ulster, but i do not agree with them planning to "try again" next month, its going to effect things up North and down South until the next march.

I think you are right speight89, i can see this spreading to Belfast, maybe not straight away, but it will.

[edit on 25-2-2006 by infinite]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
But why not have that march up North? Your from the loyalist side so you'd probably know more than me why they have decided to march in Dublin.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

But why not have that march up North? Your from the loyalist side so you'd probably know more than me why they have decided to march in Dublin.

Marching down south is new thing, they never use to do.
Their reasons (according to them) are that the Irish Government have said they dont want Sinn Fienn in a coalition or government in Ireland but feel they should be included up the Northern Ireland Assembly. Remember, Republic Of Ireland left the Union so that is another reason why. But its mainly about IRA victims.

Of course, they do it just to make republican supports bitter.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I see it as pure provocation, nothing less.

I can see no rationale for holding a march in Dublin having anything to do with people in the north expressing their desire to remain in the UK.
The GFA already establishes the principle of consent and one can hardly say the unionist position is not widely known in the Republic of Ireland.

The whole point of this march was to rub the people of the Irish republic's noses into the 'fact' (as people like organiser Willie Frazer and his DUP mates saw it) that they were, in part, responsible for the IRA's campaign in the north during the 'troubles'.
Obviously if there was trouble (thereby 'proving' what an intolerant, anti-free speech and sectarian bunch 'they' are down south) so much the better.

Of course the crassly idiotic lumpen element that is RSF (Republican Sinn Fein......the part that broke away from the rest of SF in the 1980's due to a split on 'ideological purity' - what else?
) couldn't help but rise to the bait and give rise to all sorts of idiotic sectarian statements and comments on each side following the disturbances (Willie Frazer couldn't wait to start on about how 'they' showed themselves for what they are etc etc).

But I can see no reason for this to spread anywhere, least of all in the north.
Why would it?

We have troubles enough already up here with people unable to compromise when rights conflict.
(The usual fight between those who demand the 'right' to march - even wherever and wheneven they are decidedly unwelcome and the 'right' of others to enjoy their neighbourhoods in peace and quiet.)

Frankly I think they should just clear off to a big field, have a big weekend rally if they want, go nuts, knock themselves out and just leave everyone in peace.

This little (and whilst relatively new and big for Dublin it isn't that big a riot......300 RSF rioters are being reported) outburst says nothing new to anyone.

It's just the usual that we have to suffer.
Empty and sterile attempts at political points scoring, dreary sad and impotent posturing in place of people actually doing the business of politics here - leavened as per with some violence and brutality.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The reason there hasnt been any trouble in dublin before this is because there isnt any protestants in dublin to to riot with. But as soon as they got an opportunity... As for the reasoning behind the march, it was for the right to justice for the families of victims of the troubles. I don't know how many of you know what is goin gon in Northern Ireland, but how would you like terrorists who have killed memebers of your family/friends to be let out of jail and put into parliament? ths is what they are marching against.
At the minute there seems little we can do about the situation. Republicans won't accept British rule and Unionists won't accept republican rule. everyone accpepts that some discrimination did occur in the post war period, but Republicans cannot just tell Unionists to get out of ireland because of something that happened 300-400 years ago. Why should unionists today pay with their lives for what people did back then?

A united ireland won't happen for the next 50years at least because of democracy. No-one could justify fighting wars and political campaigns for democracy in asia and middle east if it was denied to the unionist majority in Ulster which has been part of a democratic Europe for the past 50years.

new topics

top topics

join