It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police probe links between £50m heist and Belfast raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Detectives in Britain are investigating possible links between a record £50m cash heist in Kent and the Northern Bank raid in Belfast.

Both raids bore remarkable similarities.

They were carried out with military precision; both involved the kidnapping of family members of high-level staff with access to keys; and police believe both took place with "inside" help.

A record £2m reward was offered yesterday for the recovery of the banknotes and capture of the raiders who carried out the heist at the Securitas cash warehouse in Tonbridge, Kent on Wednesday.

The gang were described as a team of "top-level" criminals and Kent Police said yesterday they feared some of them may have already fled to Europe via the Channel Tunnel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

This is an interesting developement. I live in Kent and the place is "buzzing" at the moment and the van with "supposed money" was only found an hour from where i live. But back to the subject, i did connect two and two together when i first head of the heist, but i dont think the provisional IRA would risk effecting its "we have given up" pact by stealing £50 million....

we will have to wait and see

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
As with all jobs as big as ones like there, there's usually a whiff of "inside job" floating around.

The Northern Bank Belfast raid was an inside job. The same tactic of kidnapping families of bank employees to force those employees to participate in the robbery, otherwise known as "tiger kidnapping", was used.

Wikipedia - Kidnapping

Tiger kidnapping is taking an innocent hostage to make a beloved do something, e.g. a child is taken hostage to force the shopkeeper to open the safe; the term originates from the usually long preceding observation, like a tiger does on the prowl.

Tiger kidnapping tactics have been used successfully by paramilitary groups such as the IRA since as far back as 1972.

Along with two more recent arrests it looks like we'll finally see who was behind the heist.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
things are developing very,very quickly...

expect another update within afew hours.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Turns out the total amount stolen is £53 Million.

It was broadcast today on Sky news that Police were interested in a martial arts group whom they believed had an involvement in the heist.

[edit on 27/2/2006 by FactoryLad]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I know there was a whiff of speculation about this possible connection straight after the robbery happened but I suspect that was probably based on no more than the previous one in Belfast was the biggest robbery of cash until this one.

In each case I think it's pretty certain that the enormous amounts of dosh were both a surprise to those stealing it and, ultimately, a major problem for them.......but in their stupid greed I suppose they couldn't help themselves but lift the lot when it came to it.

(For those unfamiliar with the Belfast robbery the raid netted so much cash that the bank issuing the notes - here in NI local banks can issue their own £ Sterling notes instead of everyone just using Bank of England ones - that the bank very quickly phased out and replaced the type(s) stolen with new designs thereby rendering much of what was stolen useless and simply so much waste paper.)

I stand to be corrected but is it not fair to say that all talk of any such link Between this robbery and the Belfast one has now disappeared?

[edit on 2-3-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join