It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do things happen "for a reason"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I am certain that we have all heard someone say "things happen for a reason". You might have echoed these sentiments yourself. But have you ever stopped to consider this simple phrase?

Do things, indeed, happen for a reason? The answer is, obviously, critical. For it can only lead to one question; "what is the reason"?

Because, in my experience, the statement "things happen for a reason" is almost always associated with some unfortunate occurence or event, one could say that the phrase is simply a fateful or even philosophical one. A proverbial utterence that is customary in "difficult times" in an effort to make sense out of the senseless or the unanswerable (death, for example). Or "is there a reason"?
Is there some grand plan or scheme to the Universe or our existence?

What is the reason?

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The reason? So that the world does not get overloaded with a population that it cannot handle? So that we can continue journeying once we're done here?

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think so. It just isn't always that clear what the reason is when taken from a given perspective at the time of it's determination.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yes things do happen for a reason, there is a reason for everything. Its just that god(s) have no part in the reason. People die unexpectedly every day just as they have for thousands of years, accident have and will always happen as will natural disasters. We live in a dangerous universe where whole worlds can be obliterated in the blink of an eye, we just dont like to think this way until the question of our mortality knocks on the door. And as we invariably panic at the prospect of death or are in grief etc our reasoning falters and therefore cannot see the reasons behind the event.
There is no 'great plan of god', things are the way they are.
We just dont see it sometimes!

G

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is the age old "freewill and chaos vs. Predestination" argument.
Personally I would favor the freewill side; but some coincidences are so bizarre I think it points to "things happen for a reason"

I had a friend that had a horrible accident that almost killed him.
On the way to Mexico to lay on the beach and heal up, he was killed in a train wreck. Something, was out to get him IMO. He was the only fatality on the train.

To me predestination sucks, but I feel that it's a reality.

[edit on 27-2-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I guess deep down I believe that "everything happens for a reason" I have seen quite a few examples of this to back up my own personal claim. Though it may be my minds subconscious desire to hope everything will work out for the better in the end

I agree that it is usually said right after something bad happens (for a good example watch 'End of Days'). Which is where one problem comes up, how can everything work out or happen for a reason? It seems, unless each person is the only true living being in their own existence, that there is a lot of evil things that happen to a lot of good people where I could not see the reasoning behind it unless it was to teach others in some way shape or form. Perhaps some people never really live or are angels sent from the Almighty to perform a single simple mission to help others. I will never know though and can only think on it

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I do believe that there is reason behind even the most random and cruel events in our lives--as well as behind the all-too-rare moments of bliss scattered in among the routines of our average days.

I'm not saying 'there are reasons' in every case, but rather that 'there is reason.' The reason is just one, although the events are countless and varied.

We are here to grow and learn. We are here to experience all these things--both that which we call tragedy and that which we count as blessings.

This is the tree, folks. And the experiences gain the knowledge.

And that's the reason.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This is the age old "freewill and chaos vs. Predestination" argument.
Personally I would favor the freewill side; but some coincidences are so bizarre I think it points to "things happen for a reason"
[edit on 27-2-2006 by whaaa]

IMO, just because something happens for a reason doesn't mean it was predestined. The reason the event needed to happen could be created by cause and effect out of our own actions, which would be out of free will.

Anyways, I don't believe in coincidences, so I do believe that everything happens for a reason. That reason would differ depending on the situation and the person/people that the event is affecting.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
every act had a reason, every effect has a cause, no questioning about that.

The view on something defines if something was predestined.

When one looks at something at hand, depending on going forward or back on the line of cause effect, one speaks about created or predestined.

No, something that was predestined must mean that this point of happening must have been realized, no matter what roads before were taken. Something that is dreamt of, ah well

every situation is predestined, not?

Everything that needs to come your way will come, no matter what, that which is predestined is in yourself.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Wow.

Beautiful.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienaddicted
every act had a reason, every effect has a cause, no questioning about that.

The view on something defines if something was predestined.

When one looks at something at hand, depending on going forward or back on the line of cause effect, one speaks about created or predestined.

No, something that was predestined must mean that this point of happening must have been realized, no matter what roads before were taken. Something that is dreamt of, ah well

every situation is predestined, not?

Everything that needs to come your way will come, no matter what, that which is predestined is in yourself.

I'd like to correct, that which is predestines is yourself

thank you

top topics

join