It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: South Dakota Set to Challenge Roe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
df1

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I fear that an issue as volatile as abortion just might set off a real cultural war at home...

I pray that this issue sets off a real cultural war in the U.S. The american public has become too tolerant and too complacent of an out of control government. A government that has become increasingly more intrusive in imposing its will on its citizens rather than serving its citizens as intended by our founding fathers.

So while I strongly hold the belief that abortion is a woman's choice, I do hope that the supreme court rules otherwise and wakes up america's "sleeping majority". It will be sweet irony to see the religous zealots sow the seeds which result in the demise of their power.

C'mon baby, rally those anti-abortion forces, apply that political pressure.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

C'mon baby, rally those anti-abortion forces, apply that political pressure.

I thought you'd be wanting the pro-abortion forces to rally...?

df1

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I thought you'd be wanting the pro-abortion forces to rally...?

You thought right and I have no doubt the pro-abortion forces will rally with a vengeance.

I believe that overturning Roe v Wade would be moronic, however I also believe that its overturn would result in a civil disobedience backlash in this country (U.S.) that hasn't been seen since the revolutionary war and that it will not be confined to the abortion issue.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I think you really need a priority check, df1. How would you benefit personally from the kind of social melt-down you wish for?

df1

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think you really need a priority check, df1. How would you benefit personally from the kind of social melt-down you wish for?

I would benefit personally by being able to live in a free society where so long as I do not harm others I would pretty much be able to do as I like without interference from government. In order to reach that end, some dramatic changes will need to occur. And I hope that the abortion issue will be a catalyst for those needed changes.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
One thing this social debate will certainly bring to the forefront is the issue of States Rights. Will the feds let states pass laws (and enforce them) that go against prevailing federal law? If the various states pass laws outlawing abortion to one extent or another will the feds find some way to negate those laws? Each law would have to be challenged individually (on a constitutional basis) unless the feds find some new way to negate them. We could end up with a hodgepodge of different laws on this issue that vary state by state, leaving families with no options but to either move or go out of state to get abortions done. That may not be all bad either since it would uphold States Rights which I personally believe are important.

However, allowing such a condition to develop would further polarize the country and I believe that would be bad. Glad I'm not a Supreme Court Justice.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by Astronomer68]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The Governor of South Dakota has signed into law a bill that bans abortion with few exceptions in that state. The stage is now fully set for a challenge before the Supreme Court. Planned Parenthood who owns the only abortion clinic in the state opposes the law. Abortion opponents are raising money to defend the law in court. These are indeed interesting times.

Gov. Mike Rounds signed legislation Monday banning nearly all abortions in South Dakota, setting up a court fight aimed at challenging the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

The bill would make it a crime for doctors to perform an abortion unless the procedure was necessary to save the woman’s life. It would make no exception for cases of rape or incest.

Planned Parenthood, which operates the state’s only abortion clinic, in Sioux Falls, has pledged to challenge the measure in court.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 2006/3/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well the moral majority can keep on trying to rule the nation under their moralistic and religious views but its going to take more than that to win the American people and specially women all over to give away their rights to privacy and to chose.

Americans are funny, the beat themselves to religious causes, and tried to imposed their views, but when it comes to privacy that is a no no that no American want anybody to dictate for them.

The problem here is that it will not be only the issue of Wade vs Roe to be look at and challenged other issues are also attach to this ruling.

Wade vs Roe is more complicated that many may think or has been though that is all about abortion and its not.

Decades of case law that established that the government cannot interfere with certain personal decisions about procreation, marriage, and other aspects of family life. In Griswold v. Connecticut (1965)

Its almost the bases for Wade vs Roe to stand where it is now, so how many people will willingly give away their personal decisions of procreation, marriage and family life and let the government and religious institutions decided for us.

Perhaps what many needs to be concentrating is to the hidden agenda that the moral majority in the US wants for women across the nation.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Is this man who so ignorantly thinks he should be dictating what women should do with their lives and bodies trying to bring back the days of the use of coat hangers, "accidents" down the stairs, Inappropriate use of Iodine, Overdose on a non-narcotic etc... or something ? Backyard abortion anyone ?

Sick ? yes, most definitely but where there's a will, there is certainly a way and please believe women who do not wish to be with child will find a way to be rid of it, so why be difficult ? Ahhh yes that's all most government types know how to be

How about all those newborns nobody wants or can raise be left on the gov's doorstep for him to take care of ? See how he like them apples.

Do we really need more unwanted children in the world ?

I for one don't look forward to the headlines in a time where abortion is illegal, the ones we already see on the day to day are sickening enough ... those of abuse and murder and torture of infants and babies.
Making it illegal for a rape victim or a mentally handicapped woman to be rid of such a burden, let alone just having the right to just not be a mother is outrageous IMO. I don't see why anybody needs a reason or excuse in this day and age anydamnway, all one has to do is open their eyes and take a look around.

Will this just encourage even more young women to pop that morning after pill ? Which in itself is disturbing enough, I certainly hope not but don't doubt.

smh this is just wrong on so many levels

[edit on 7-3-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damocles

i realized something about the wording of the law...they arent telling women they cant have abortions...

Yes you are very right back before wade vs roe it was not law telling women they could not have abortions, the ban was on doctors to perform them.

That is why women had to put their lives in the hands of midwifes and back ally abortions.

Causing most women to die from bad abortions.

That was also the time when anti contraceptives were not allowed either.

If you see the trend that is going on right now It kind of brings back all these issues of reproduction and women rights.

It almost looks like many anti abortionist that are also religious pushers want the old times of women dying from coat hanger abortions back.

After all that in their eyes is the punishment from been sinful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join