It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman with 3 heads stalking the night

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I don't buy the "organ harvesting" stories for a number of reasons (well, most of them I don't buy) -- the main one being the difficulty of transplanting organs. You have to have a good tissue match or the transplant will fail... and then those angry families will send hitmen after YOU. Many organs have to also be matched by body weight and height; a heart from a teenaged victim will not work in a 40 year old man who's overweight (I had a boss who had a heart transplant and matching body type was another issue.

You can't take "just any" body -- someone from a poor area is likely to have diseases not common in the rest of the world and may have parisites to boot. If poverty is accompanied by poor quality food, the organs may have other problems.

So I don't really believe in that.

Fact remains - there is a HUGE international black market industry in illegal organ transplant. ...The NYT and few other media bring it up from time to time, ie:

Against the organ trade

The organ of last resort

- and a British film covered one aspect of the industry a few years ago - called "Dirty Pretty Things."

Dirty Pretty Things:

Okwe, a kind-hearted Nigerian doctor, and Senay, a Turkish chambermaid, work at the same West London hotel. The hotel is run by Senor Sneaky and is the sort of place where dirty business like drug dealing and prostitution takes place. However, when Okwe finds a human heart in one of the toilets, he uncovers something far more sinister than just a common crime.

Amazon: Dirty Pretty Things

The film deals with a compelling subject - the hand-to-mouth existence eked out by the huge numbers of illegal immigrants (and illegally-working immigrants) who do all of the bottom-rung work that nobody else wants to do in a teeming western metropolis. Okwe has two jobs that leave him next to no time for any kind of personal life -- a daytime cab driver and graveyard shift hotel night porter. He tries to resist letting anyone know that he's really a doctor, but his cab boss knows, and this forces him to maintain some low-level ties to the medical community. Later, some detective work at the hotel leads to him discovering a black-market operation in human organs being run by his hotel boss.

IMBD: Dirty Pretty Things (2002)

Medical reality aside, this is the black market we're talking about here. These guys just match blood type and push immunosuppressant drugs to block rejection. People don't really know enough to judge the quality of their care - and they're just happy to buy a bit more time.

...I think this is an interesting article WOS posted - and I strongly suspect this and other urban legends have a basis in fact. No harm investigating the possible explanations, IMO - except for potential political ramifications, of course.

add refs, fix format

[edit on 1-3-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
BY Next week it will be a man with a penis growing from his head

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Come on guys. If you have ever had a women you are going out with shouting at you then you know it just seems like she has three heads.......and is breathing fire. Or is that just me?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join