It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Tsunami hitting US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This has been stated in a news page somewhere. I can't find it. But there could possibly be a tsumnami somewhere in the US, if the volcano in Africa on the canary islands explode, then it would effect the Atlantic ocean, which would cause a tsunami to hit us. Anyone hear about this?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
yeah watched a documentry about it once.

a 'MEGA TSUNAMI' - it could be anytime from now upto 200 years, they say its not a case of 'IF' but 'WHEN!!'

apparently it will hit the eastern coast line

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Wait wait wait...one thing at a time.

If a volcano in the Canary Islands explodes? Which one? There are several.

And with a simple Google search, I turned up your story:

A wave higher than Nelson's Column and travelling faster than a jet aircraft will devastate the eastern seaboard of America and inundate much of southern Britain, say scientists who have analysed the effects of a future volcanic eruption in the Canary Islands.

External Source

I don't know for sure, but I think Rense is a website not very well liked here.

But that being said, many different things can happen to the US that have already been "forwarned", such as Yellowstone becoming a huge supervolcano, a tsunami from the Hawaiian Islands from their volcanic euruption, meteors, etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
to be quite honest, don't start a thread with an idea and open with I heard from my sisters boyfriends work related guy that happens to work somewhere I can't talk about, but I can't find it.

there could possibly be a tsumnami somewhere in the US

great. there could possibly be "fill in the blank about anything"

-DT

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This is from an actual news agency, could be what you're looking for:

Is a Tsunami Likely in Wilmington?

FEBRUARY 21, 2006 -- "The likelihood of one happening tomorrow is extremely low. The likelihood of one happening in the next 400 years is extremely high, but we don't know if it'll be tomorrow or in 400 years," says Tom Matheson.

Matheson is the Warning Coordination Meteorologist at the National Weather Service Office in Wilmington. He's warning about the possibility of a tsunami. He says they are a fact of life near the ocean. Ever since the Indian Ocean tsunami in December of 2004, Matheson, along with emergency managers and others involved in disaster preparedness, have been developing plans to protect people in case a tsunami hit the Atlantic.

got some more for you:
Anatomy of a tsunami

However, some scientists have warned the Atlantic Coast might be vulnerable to a tsunami caused by a landslide on a volcanic island in the Canary Islands off north Africa, called La Palma, whose geology is known to be unstable. A tsunami capable of reaching Boston and doing significant damage could only occur if the landslide was massive and if the rocks fell at a tremendous speed. Other scientists are doubtful that both conditions would occur simultaneously.

[edit on 2-24-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.zaradia.com... (good site)

www.google.co.uk...

[edit on 24-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Thankyou very much everyone for the input. I live on the eastern coast...so, I was just wondering. Thanx again for all of the information folks

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
I heard from my sisters boyfriends work related guy

Well I didn't...I was only wondering if people knew about it. Geesh..I find a lot of people on ATS..are not that friendly sometimes. But ohwell...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
i saw a docmentary on the one that just happened and at the end they mentioned about one that could happen in america and that it wasnt prepared

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This has been going round for a few years now, and is thought by several geologists to be untrue. It is correct that , but is it unlikely for the flank to give way all at the same time. It is more likely that it will fall into the sea not as one whole unit, but in smaller increments, which won't cause a tsunami.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
it is very posable though unlikely but anywhere the is a fault line that could slip and displace there is a posabilaty anywhere. also if for some reason a big chunk of land colapses in to water(very rare but can happen). and theres the asteroid if it hits anywhere in the water it will cause one

top topics

join