It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mid-Atlantic Ridge Formation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

Originally posted by atlantian149
Plato also drew america way before it was found.

ANd it shows that altantis is in the atlantic ocean just like the name.

www.atlantia.de...

The more likely theory is that it is there where plato discribed it on the map. It is said to be a land of wealth and beuty.This is th emost likely location of it because it is where he destribed it and it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit.

Ummm.... Plato never mentioned America. And he never drew anything, he only wrote about it. Once. In a book that he never finished properly. Based on something that his grandfather supposedly heard about in Egypt, but which has never been verified. Hell, there are no records of the tale that Solon heard in Egypt, there is no record in the ground in the form of trading wares and other archaeological finds anywhere in the Med...
Haven't we shot this down already?
What about the map.

[edit on 22-8-2006 by atlantian149]

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlantian149This is th emost likely location of it because it is where he destribed it and it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit.

One of the problems with that theory is that "it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit".

It is needed more than a "little bit" to put that region above sea level.

As you can see here most of the area needed to make a continent is pictured in green. Looking at the scale you can see that "green" is around 2,000 metres under the sea level, not just a "little bit".

If the water levels were so low then the Mediterranean sea would have been closed and so the boats from Atlantis could not enter it.

As for the map, if you are referring to this map (I couldn't see anything with the other link) then this map was made in the 17th century and it shows Atlantis "according to the description of Plato", so it has nothing new to add to that description.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlantian149
What about the map.
[edit on 22-8-2006 by atlantian149]

What about the Map? It wasn't drawn by Plato. Plato lived at a time when they had scrolls, long before paper and printing. He wrote, he didn't draw. The map on one of your previous posts looks like one from the past 200-odd years and therefore proves nothing I'm afraid.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There is another theory that the mediterranian was once a dry basin much like the area surrounding the dead sea. There is some geological and archeological evidence of the straits of Gibralter being formed by sudden and massive erosion when the ocean began to spill over a natural damn that once existed there. If atlantis had been on an island in a salt lake in the basin, particulary if it were near Gibralter, It would have been destroyed. The filling of the Mediterranean would account for the many tales of the "Great Flood" and the sinking of atlantis as well.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind

Haven't we shot this down already?

It'll never happen.

Ignorance, like rust, never sleeps.

Harte

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
zoom in at 32n 13.7w ....I think you'll be interested

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
One of the problems with that theory is that "it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit".

It is needed more than a "little bit" to put that region above sea level.

As you can see here most of the area needed to make a continent is pictured in green. Looking at the scale you can see that "green" is around 2,000 metres under the sea level, not just a "little bit".

If the water levels were so low then the Mediterranean sea would have been closed and so the boats from Atlantis could not enter it.

As for the map, if you are referring to this map (I couldn't see anything with the other link) then this map was made in the 17th century and it shows Atlantis "according to the description of Plato", so it has nothing new to add to that description.

in my earlier post, I did detail how the ocean floor in that area has also been known to change dramtically in depth, due to the Ice Ages etc.. With the weight being lifted and causing a rebalancing of the plates, along with the rising sea level from melting glaciers, that 2000m could be dramitically cut. Not saying it did, just that it could have been.

As for the 32N, 13.7W comment above... All I see there are a few submerged mountains. it doesn't appear to be an area that would resemble the "lost continent", as described by Plato. Unless I am missing something.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I was looking at it all wrong. First, go here:
ibis.grdl.noaa.gov...
Then set the zoom factor to 16 and click on the eastern edge of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge formation. The location I'm referring to is actually 37.25N, 22.5W. If the top left corner of the image reads 42.5N, 36.2W then you've clicked on the spot I believe is the location of Atlantis. And the bottom -right corner reads 32N, 13.7W. See the ring formation, and all the streaks coming out from the center in all directions? and there's landmass in the center of the ring, which I believe to be the center of the CITY of Atlantis.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I need some information over the Mid-Atlantic Ridge for a research paper i have to do for school. So if you could email me at [email protected], that would be great. tell me everything about it.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
One of the problems with that theory is that "it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit". It is needed more than a "little bit" to put that region above sea level.

Quite true. However, that entire Azores Plateau region along the Mid-Atlantic fault rests on a very volcanically active and unstable part of the crust. A larger catastrophe such as an asteroid or comet impact -- combined with a corresponding rise in sea levels -- could possibly produce enough disruption along the fault to have dropped the plateau below the surface, leaving only the tops of the mountains dry.

And there's quite a bit of debate about what exactly triggered the Younger Dryas, which coincided pretty well with the date Plato gave for the destruction of the island. Some say a relatively large impact on the North American glaciation could have been the culprit

Not to say that's what actually happened. But unlike previous fanciful conjecture, there is now more actual data coming to light that could provide atmospheric and geologic mechanisms for such a thing to happen, and at the approximate time it was said to have happened. So, curiously, it becomes a little less unlikely all the time.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a polar tilt caused atlantis to sink a polar tilt will cause it to rise in about 2020 the eastern part of atlantis was off the coast of spain and africa the western part extended in to the caribbean and the yucatan peninsulaand the bermuda triangle

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Once again I agree with anonymous, may not be exactly 2020 it maybe 2012 or sometime very near in the future.
As far as maps go what about the Piri Reis map?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join