It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mid-Atlantic Ridge Formation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Right about here.

ibis.grdl.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Well, I guess that link doesn't work.
Anyway, look for Atlantis on this map.
Zoom in as appropriate.

ibis.grdl.noaa.gov...

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Many years back.. late 80's .. their was a joint russian american naval submarine
venture to photo map the entire alantic ridge seabottom. I saw the photo's when they were published publically... they highlighted one area where their was an entire civilazation of structure , stairs, roadways..ect.. at the bottom of this ridge..i am telling the complete truth , this isnt fantasy or conjecture.. their was much structure built from stone photographed.. whatever became of it as far as anyone
researching it... I dont know.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That would make your Atlantis flooded by the rising waters after the last Ice Age. That's 10,000 years ago, way before either Egypt or Athens even existed. So nope, sorry.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
What exactly are we supposed to be looking for at the MOR?

There is no continental crust there, which seems to refute, entirely, the idea of a continent having been there.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkmind
That would make your Atlantis flooded by the rising waters after the last Ice Age. That's 10,000 years ago, way before either Egypt or Athens even existed. So nope, sorry.

Well, if you go by the timeline given by Plato, it would fit, but wether it is the right location is another matter.

EDIT: The shallow, triangular area in the mid-Atlantic is what I assume your pointing at? It does fit with the Plato's description of being beyond the pillars of hercules (Gibraltar) and is smack bang in the middle of the Atlantic....

Still, the area is supposed to be formed by the crusts slitting, so I would imagine, even if it had been above sea level in the Ice Age, it would have been quite volcanic and a bit dangerous...But then, wasn't it supposed to have been destoryed in some great calamity?

Something to think about...

[edit on 12/6/06 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
There wouldn't've been any time at which the MOR was above sea level, short of Iceland.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
There wouldn't've been any time at which the MOR was above sea level, short of Iceland.

Playing devils advocate here Nygdan, but I've just read some info on Ice Age sea levels and I am wondering if it was possible at least some of the ridge area was above sea level at some point?

It explained that the weight of the Ice caused the land mass underneath to sink, pushing up other bits elsewhere were there was no ice. It does say that the sea level depth on the MOR has increased more than the actual rise in sea level, due to the subsiding continetal shelfs, now the ice has dissapeared...

The mid-Atlantic is experiencing a greater rate of relative sea level rise because the entire region is sinking. During the ice age, the mass of the glaciers caused an upward bulge around the edges, similar to the bulge that occurs around one's thumb when one squeezes a rubber ball. Just as removing one's thumb causes the bulge to disappear, the removal of the glaciers from the northern part of the continent has caused adjacent areas to subside. Thus, the southern Atlantic coastal areas, which were farther from the glaciers, are not subsiding as much at the mid-Atlantic, if at all.

Source

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
sorry but i don't know what i'm looking for here. could you give me corridents

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interesting... For all those who just read other poeples stuff. READ Plato!!! Then comment!

I'ts free here www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
and at your loacal libray!

This fit's his discription pretty well. I'm not saying it is Atlantis; However it could be worth looking at;

And as for the first comment...lol.. Atlantis pre-dated Egypt and the Romans by 10,000 years. Do your reasearch, READ Plato!!!. Please don't talk out of your but, it pains me to read it.

How did you find this?
How did you draw this conclusion?
Is there any supporting evidence besides Plato's account?

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
OMG they found it www.atlantia.de here is an other site they are either hiding it or don't want people to find out.

even the atlantis fracture zone
WOW!!!!

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
claps topex.ucsd.edu...

if you take out a little bit of the sea ocean level youll get atlantis so it must have sunk because of the ice caps melting for thousands of years.

It shows that there is land if just a little ocean is taken off. and it shows just as plato and the exact location.

OMG what do you think they should do? does the governemt know this or is hiding it.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iggnorace_is_bliss
Interesting... For all those who just read other poeples stuff. READ Plato!!! Then comment!

I'ts free here www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
and at your loacal libray!

This fit's his discription pretty well. I'm not saying it is Atlantis; However it could be worth looking at;

And as for the first comment...lol.. Atlantis pre-dated Egypt and the Romans by 10,000 years. Do your reasearch, READ Plato!!!. Please don't talk out of your but, it pains me to read it.

How did you find this?
How did you draw this conclusion?
Is there any supporting evidence besides Plato's account?

When plato drew the map america never excisted and wasn't found so it has to be real and in the atlantic ocean near the azores islands and in the middle of atlantic ocean if you look on prevoius post above.
it had sunk because of global warming and the ice caps melting for millions of years.
And it is found already.

This post needs to be change the naem to Atlantis found.We all found altantis.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Please read the start of this thread. We have NOT found Atlantis. The story that Plato tells is an odd one. It is not backed up by any other writings on the ground in Egypt (and the story comes from there in the first place, supposedly!) and it certainly isn't backed up by any archaeology anywhere else. Plato's story mentions Athens being a great power for a start - 10,000 years ago Athens wasn't even founded, let alone being strong enough to go up against a regional superpower like 'Atlantis' supposedly was.
As for the map of 'Atlantis' in the middle of the Atlantic, that's a load of honk. There's nothing down there, there are no mechanisms to raise/lower an area that size on the map, and besides the map was drawn before the concept of plate tectonics was even thought of. Plato mentions the Pillars of Hercules. Problem is, there have been three of these over the millenia. What makes you think that the present ones are the right ones? (Ah and the Atlantic - Atlantis link is meaningless. Atlantic comes from Atlas, the mythological figure that holds up the sky.)

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I was just woundering people if this area is still sunk or not submerged.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by atlantian149]

here is another picture of the ocean floor if it had been lowered level

It looks like a continent.a lost one.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by atlantian149]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The old map actually fits Antarctica quite well. The one shown in this thread was mislabeled. As to Antarctica being in the mid-Atlantic, there have been underwater expeditions to the mid-atlantic ridge, which they've verified by life found there that it was above sea-level at some point, but there is no evidence of Atlantis there.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlantian149
if you take out a little bit of the sea ocean level youll get atlantis so it must have sunk because of the ice caps melting for thousands of years.

Not just a "little bit of the sea ocean(?) level", if you look with more attention you will see that to have that part of the ocean floor above the sea level then the straight of Gibraltar ("Pillars of Hercules"?) would be closed, so no communication between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic.

If you look at this other map on that site (), you will see that the Mediterranean would be completely different, in fact it would be split in two by Italy joining Libya, and all the Mediterranean islands would be part of the continent.

So, just changing the sea level does not make Atlantis "appear", it would change all the Earth's surface.

If you want to keep looking, good for you, but in almost 2000 years I think that all the theories were tested.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Are you talking about the Açores (Azores for the English speaking readers)?

If you are, then I can tell you that the Açores are in the same situation, above water, since they were found.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Are you talking about the Açores (Azores for the English speaking readers)?

If you are, then I can tell you that the Açores are in the same situation, above water, since they were found.
Plato also drew america way before it was found.

ANd it shows that altantis is in the atlantic ocean just like the name.

www.atlantia.de...

The more likely theory is that it is there where plato discribed it on the map. It is said to be a land of wealth and beuty.This is th emost likely location of it because it is where he destribed it and it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Plato also drew america way before it was found.

ANd it shows that altantis is in the atlantic ocean just like the name.

www.atlantia.de...

The more likely theory is that it is there where plato discribed it on the map. It is said to be a land of wealth and beuty.This is th emost likely location of it because it is where he destribed it and it would form a continent if the water level was off by a little bit.

Ummm.... Plato never mentioned America. And he never drew anything, he only wrote about it. Once. In a book that he never finished properly. Based on something that his grandfather supposedly heard about in Egypt, but which has never been verified. Hell, there are no records of the tale that Solon heard in Egypt, there is no record in the ground in the form of trading wares and other archaeological finds anywhere in the Med...
Haven't we shot this down already?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join