It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeological evidence of Jesus?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Most interesting, and yet I still chose to disagree, for the main reason that CARPENTERS WERE NOT A DIME A DOZEN BACK THEN....especially in a town.

Life back then was Agrarian, so at most a person could only repair their houses...anyone devoting themselves to carpentry would have had considerable more talent then to nail a board to another board, which is exactly as Jesus's father would have been.

Much like unions today, Rome had its Colleges of labors, such as Masonry (which is how Freemasonry transfered from the mediterranean to Europe, and also survived Coligula's persecution of the colleges) and there were also colleges of Carpentry and other sciences.

As for the other stuff...Wow...Luke 3:34, he is a direct decendant of Abraham, guess that there proves he's of nobility...now anyways...ahh he was even a decendant of King David...my god he is also the heir to the throne of Israel, he's a Duke at the least...

Regaurdless, I have just read Luke 2 and it only helps to support ME...considering that Simeon told Joseph his son would be the saviour of Israel, you don't tell a commoner that. This is shown throughout literature, especially mideival.

As for Leviticus, it only states that that's what you do if you can't afford a lamb, but considering that they were on the road, I doubt they had much wealth to spend in another city.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 01:54 AM
link   
you have no ideal of jewish cerimony or history,for instance,did you know that every man was REQUIRED by jewish lawto build his own house before he married,id say there wasnt too much need for carpenters if men built their own houses.
also concerning wealth,try reading luke 9:57-58. hmmmm.
also if jesus was so revered,for being the decendant abraham,and david,why did HIS own peopel crucify HIM?
It helps to know what your talking about.
also if Much like unions today, Rome had its Colleges of labors, such as Masonry and there were also colleges of Carpentry and other sciences. then i would say you have proven my point that carpenters were a dime a dozen.
later.

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 02:27 AM
link   
On the names -much ;less unlikely than one might think: and in other cultures too: Old English names, for example, were connected by alliteration.
It is usually reckoned that this was because of the practice of reciting genealogies (X begat Y begat Z begat A -is the common Biblical example): it was considered very essential to be able to rattle off one's ancestors.
Add to that the importance ( in the Semitic world: bin this or bar that), then and now, of one's father's name rather than one's own "first name" - and you'll come to see the inappropriateness of applying modern Western thinking.
Also, we approach these names through the filters of Greek and Latin -distinctions and similarities get blurred: we see it to-day where bin Ladin can also be ben Laden and Usama or Osama.
Finally, "je/ja" or something similar is the word for "God" and is, therefore, to be anticipated in many Jewish names of the period - just as "Abdul" (slave of God) is so frequent in Muslim names.
In short: nothing relevant to be deduced from the names.

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 02:58 AM
link   
If jews were required to build their own houses then why not build them of brick? There was more material in that area for brick then wood...and even if they did, it wouldn't make a stone mason any less valuable, someone SKILLED at a trade far out weighs the bafoon propping up a wall.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 12:05 PM
link   
well, construction obviously isnt your strong point,of course neither it bibical history,or for that matter jewish tradition.....well , what excatly are your strongpoints? ive yet to see any real substance from your end in our posts. you really cant back up anything youve been saying,with any proof.
i dont mean to be offensive but it seem that you have the tendency to just spew anything that comes to mind,so long as it opposes my views. which is fine for empty arguments,however im not one for empty arguments,though i must say its certanily been enteraining. by the way im a construction worker .

posted on Nov, 3 2002 @ 07:19 PM
link   
What does your "job" have to do with the Roman Collegium? The fact is you so far only give evidence from the Bible, a poorly written doccument in history's case...where as I decide to look at simple facts that have prevailed through all time, that being people with Trade Skills such as carpentry tend not to be "poor".

Sincerely,
no signature.

posted on Nov, 4 2002 @ 02:37 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join