It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient sounds recorded in pottery is now a fake (sorry). with video link

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
www.unknowncountry.com...

Okay I know someone has done this before but did not see it with this link.
What if they picked the voice of Jesus or the great kings or music of their time? A lot of pots need testing now hope they find some good stuff I would love to decode it for them.

Hope this lonk helps just thought you might like it.

The video is in french but the video graphics explain it, audio sample is quike chilling to know how old the sounds are.

If this has been seen else where on ATS say so?

[edit on 24-2-2006 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
fascinating, I wish the video was english, my french is...how do you say...non existant

really really interesting stuff, kind of even explains how some object can have a certain "vibe", probably sound embedded within it?

thought provoking to say the least, imagine the things we could learn.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
We may pick up new bits of old language sounds in the streets the animals that they had. Hope they can do a movie version that would be asking for too much. Good idea how ever it was found out but not suprising either.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
The video is in french but the video graphics explain it, audio sample is quike chilling to know how old the sounds are.

It's a hoax. April fools, to be exact. See link

Sorry. On to the next thing...

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The link is in French so I'm not sure where it says its fake. But Like air pockets in ancient Ice that can be tested It sounds reasonable. I have heard that walls can capture sounds of the past and let old sound out. It explains ghost stories of hearing things. Maybe this could be true in some ways. They may have bits of old hair in the pottery which we can test for ancient DNA of humans.

Nothing is lost from it but maybe some day the idea might inspire real facts.
Like the weblink above with its forum as people have put its a shame and it is that its fake. It sounded good and of cause in french it does not help, never thought people could be so cruel on the hopeful few.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Damn! I was excited there for a moment.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
damn it...say it ain't so

everything interesting is turning out to be hoax

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Never mind it was kind of cruel it was put into other websites recently and even they do not realise it's a hoax. Back to square one.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Aha. It was proved fake, then.

When I heard about it, I said that it didn't make sense. Pots aren't created by slowly grinding them away with a fine implement and using clay that's finer than wax. They're shaped by the whole hand in broad sweeps. There's simply no way that a hand vibrates enough to make a recording.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, that might be a hoax, but there is something to the theory. And there has even been some research done on the subject. It's refered to as Archaeoacoustics or Paleoacoustics. And it's a broader subject than just the inadvertant capture of sound, but the whole of the ancient use of acoustics, which is some pretty interesting reading.

From here:

members.chello.se...

By archaeoacoustics I mean the recovery of sounds from the time before the invention of recording. This implies that such sounds would have been recorded inadvertently, while intending to do sometring else. Not much has been written about this subject and only very few experiments have been made.

...What is probably the first publication on the subject appeared in 1969, when Richard G. Woodbridge, III related four experiments in a letter in the Proceedings of the IEEE1. In the first experiment, he could pick up the noise produced by the potter's wheel from a pot...

...Years later, similar experiments were made in Gothenburg, Sweden, by archaeology professor Paul Åström and acoustics professor Mendel Kleiner2.

Their experiments were dedicated to the analysis of the forces acting on a stylus or its equivalent (feather, vane etc.) while working on a soft surface, and to the actual recording of sound on a clay cylinder that was subsequently fired.

1.Acoustic Recordings from Antiquity, by Richard G. Woodbridge, III (Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 57, No. 8, August 1969, pp. 1465-1466).

2.The Brittle Sound of Ceramics - Can Vases Speak? by Mendel Kleiner and Paul Åström (Archaeology and Natural Science, vol. 1, 1993, pp. 66-72, Göteborg: Scandinavian Archaeometry Center, Jonsered, ISSN: 1104-3121).

More here:

karik.wordherders.net...

oi.uchicago.edu...

radio.weblogs.com...

www.cs.huji.ac.il...

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

all the words on that frenchy page: Title of page is April Fools News.
Summary: The scientific community is in agitation: recorded sounds almost two thousand years ago were discovered by a team of Belgian archaeologists... Realization: Bilge Sehir Duration: 1 54' minute ' Support: DVCAM Precedent: Raphaël Mezrahi at the Stage of France Return to the principal menu of the Following site: Pastoral Friterie The long version of "sound Vases" will be finished soon. The documentary one will be visible on this site, or at least information relating to it (frames and chart) This realization will be followed by the other similar ones also devoted to "scientific discoveries disconcerting and little known of general public". This video is the subject currently of debates in the United States... See the site

From Digg.com site:
Archaeologists get ancient audio from grooves on Pompeii pottery

fjarlq submitted by fjarlq 6 days ago (via www.zalea.org...)

French archaeologists have taken pottery from ancient Pompeii and played the grooves back like a record to get the sounds of the pottery workshop, including laughter. Click "Lire la vidéo" to play the short video which contains a sample of the audio.

some person on the message board:
The author of the clip, Bilge Sehir (as acknowledged on the story link) acknowledges that the story was for an april fool's edition on Belgian TV (at the top: "Poisson d'avril de journal televise", translates to: "April fools newscast") Theres a link back to the bilgesehir.com page I first quoted ^

The idea came from a book about the subject: Book.

Description of book "Time Shards":
A researcher attempts to listen to the voices of people from a thousand years ago by reading grooves on pottery. Amazingly, this is a hard science fiction story based on actual research, and it may be possible to do this some day!

someone on a message board
The concept dates from at least the early 1960s. It was mentioned by Arthur C. Clarke in an essay that was included in his book "Profiles of the Future: An Inquirey into the Limits of the Possible," published in 1962. I recall Clarke mentioning that the sound heard most clearly was that of the potter's wheel, although I can't recall if he heard a recording himself or was told about by someone. I don't recall if he cited a reference, but that should be easy enough to check...

I saw a museam exibit about extracting sounds from a vase with a laser, but it was not working that day, and only mentioned that it is scientificly feasable to one day hear the past through an ancient artifact.

posted on Feb, 21 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It's idiotic to dismiss something so quickly just because of a hoax and a few people who did the experiment completely wrong.

If sounds were to be found upon a clay pot, it would not have been recorded during the forming of the shape of the pot from clay.

My guess is that if this is possible, it would need to be "recorded" during the baking process, or after the clay has already hardenened or partially hardenened while being scraped upon by something that easily picks up vibrations.

Basically, there's a LOT of things that have to go right before any scientific discovery becomes successful ... and there's a LOT more things that can go wrong to prevent one from knowing what is and what is not.

So this remains within the realm of the unknown until proven beyond a reasonable doubt either way.

new topics

top topics

join