It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ooooops!!! Got caught!! "Come to Jesus" message compliments of the US taxpayer!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The federal government has agreed to stop funding a national program that promoted teen abstinence after a lawsuit was filed alleging that the funds were being used to convert teens.

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   

The Silver Ring Thing program, related to a Christian ministry based in the Pittsburgh suburbs, has received more than $1 million in federal funding during the past three years.

The program puts on shows at churches that include comedy skits, music videos and a message of abstinence. Young people are given a silver ring and decide whether they want to pledge to abstain from sex.

They needed a million dollars for skits about not having sex??? Sounds like someone was pocketing the money too.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Isn't this the same group that up north, like in Michigan or something that got sued for teaching you can get AIDS from toilet seats and pregnant from holding hands? Also funded by the government, also sued by the ACLU.

Although that would be funny to see, two teens having sex but not holding hands so they don't get pregnant.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by DevinS]

mod edit to remove -R- rated remarks.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
Isn't this the same group that up north, like in Michigan ...

The Silver Ring Thing is out of Pennsylvania.
That's probably why Santorum pushed them through.
www.silverringthing.com...

They kinda look Amway-cultish ...

[edit on 2/25/2006 by FlyersFan]

***mod EDIT, to fix spelling it's AMWAY not Agway

[edit on 26-2-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Anyone else find it Ironic that the same people who are all for the taxing of cigarettes and liquor. Seat Belt laws and helmet laws.... Are also against our government promoting abstinence? What? It's OK for the government to protect its citizens... As long as it has nothing to do with sex?

My god that ring thing does remind me of a cult though. Friggin' creepy.......

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Anyone else find it Ironic that the same people who are all for the taxing of cigarettes and liquor. Seat Belt laws and helmet laws.... Are also against our government promoting abstinence? What? It's OK for the government to protect its citizens... As long as it has nothing to do with sex?

Amen.
I totally agree. "We should regulate cigarettes and beer, because that's just PC. Abstinence? Hell no. That's so not PC."

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hmm...

Smoking=Cancer
Alcohol=Kidney Failure
No Seat Belt=Dead
Telling Kids they will be killed for holding hands or die from sitting on a toilet seat=Great thing to teach in public school, anyone who doesn't is a traitor!

I'm am so glad I am a moderate, don't have to worship Bush and those idiots, and I don't have to worship Hilary and her wife Bill Clinton.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost sailor

My god that ring thing does remind me of a cult though. Frigging' creepy.......

Are you sure you are in the right thread? Um, where are the people who are against our government promoting abstinence? Maybe just abstinence, and nothing else (like birth control), but I don't know of anyone who against the government promoting abstinence. But hey, thanks for stopping by the thread!

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
they can't teach the concept of abstinance without bringing in their religious vews and trying to win over the hearts and minds of the kids???

come on.....they didn't get their funding dropped for teaching abstinance, but rather inscribing a certain bilbical passage on the rings they passed out...and probably other things.

[edit on 25-2-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Hmm...

Smoking=Cancer
Alcohol=Kidney Failure
No Seat Belt=Dead
Telling Kids they will be killed for holding hands or die from sitting on a toilet seat=Great thing to teach in public school, anyone who doesn't is a traitor!

I'm am so glad I am a moderate, don't have to worship Bush and those idiots, and I don't have to worship Hilary and her wife Bill Clinton.

Close, but let me fix it.

Smoking = A chance of cancer.

Alcohol = a chance of Kidney Failure.

No Seat belt = dead if there's a car accident.

Nobody tells kids not to hold hands, or at least I don't. The abstinence ads are about not having sex. Having sex before marriage increases your risk of getting an STD or a girl getting pregnent young. Generally, a person who decides they don't want to wait for marriage isn't only going to have sex with one person in their whole life. Sure, it can happen, but it's most likely going to be at least a few people.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Amen.
I totally agree. "We should regulate cigarettes and beer, because that's just PC. Abstinence? Hell no. That's so not PC."

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

They kinda look Agway-cultish ...

Hey FF, do you mean Amway-cultish? Where I live, Agways are stores where you can buy oats for your horses and other stuff like that.

Sorry, but I just thought that was funny.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

Amen.

Hey Rant, would a smiley be considered a one-liner? I'm pretty sure I've been warned about those in the past.

Just thought I'd let you know.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Hey FF, do you mean Amway-cultish?

OOOOOOOPS. Yep. AMWAY cultish. Exactly.
My apologies to the Agway stores in America.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Hey Rant, would a smiley be considered a one-liner? I'm pretty sure I've been warned about those in the past.
Just thought I'd let you know.

Can a Super Mod get warned? Also, he did have a title, a pretty funny one at that. Does a title count as a line?

And it was a cult, by definition, but so are most monotheistic religons as they worship one thing, that thing is right no matter what, even when it contradicts itself, blah blah blah. I'm just glad my minister never offered Kool Aid on Sunday.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Teaching abstinence?

I’m sorry, but the idea of teaching children -dictating- what they can and can’t do, doesn’t work and is one of the worst forms of education that is in existence. It can be seen with drugs such as smoking and alcohol and also sex, that it doesn’t work. In reality, the only way you can help these children is by being smart enough to teach them the pros and cons of such things, to create a balanced argument and with things such as sexual intercourse to explain protection and to create a culture where people do not feel stigmatised about visiting a doctor over such issues.

Like it or not, but a good portion of children will have sex and many more people will have sex before marriage just telling them not to is…is not going to help the issue. Teaching them about protection and the illnesses surrounding unprotected sex is wiser as well as allowing free and easy access to condoms, the pill and other treatments. At least that way, you limit the number of children infected or making babies themselves.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

And it was a cult, by definition, but so are most monotheistic religons as they worship one thing, that thing is right no matter what, even when it contradicts itself, blah blah blah. I'm just glad my minister never offered Kool Aid on Sunday.

Don't be ignorant. I don't know how you can be talking about my minister offering me "koolaid" on Sundays without knowing anything about me. For your information, I rarely go to church. I haven't been since Christmas eve, and I probably won't go again until Easter. In fact, I don't even know the minister's name at the church nearest to me. I simply see the hypocricy in that some people feel that it's ok to preach something like not smoking, drinking, etc., but those very people think it's not ok to promote abstinence.

And I'm not really sure, CAN a supermod get warned? I guess he's allowed to break the rules. And yes, Rant, I do practice abstinence.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
do you intend to continue practicing abstinence after you are married? or do you plan have just leaving the number of kids you have up to fate, or God, or whatever? just wondering, once we teach these kids that abstinence is the only way....ummm....what do we tell them when they get married? we lied, there's other ways to prevent getting pregnant, we just didn't want them to know about them? or what?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
do you intend to continue practicing abstinence after you are married? or do you plan have just leaving the number of kids you have up to fate, or God, or whatever? just wondering, once we teach these kids that abstinence is the only way....ummm....what do we tell them when they get married? we lied, there's other ways to prevent getting pregnant, we just didn't want them to know about them? or what?

Once I get married, I'll be fine. I don't want to have too many kids...probably 2 or 3. Not having sex with multiple partners isn't just about not having too many kids, there are other problems as well. Well, one major problem, and that's STDs. Personally, I don't care whether or not people have sex before they're married, but I don't see anything wrong with promoting abstinence. It's not like we're forcing them to not have sex, as is the case with drinking, smoking, etc.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   
abstinence isn't just about not having sex with many parteners, but rather, not having sex.....untill you are married, or untill you are ready to have children, depending on your view, I guess.

education isn't just about teaching kids what they need to know for that day, but rather, teaching them the skills they will need not only that day, but for the rest of their lifetime....susposedly.

a have a strange philosophy when it comes to kids, anything that you prohibit them to do, well, you probably shouldn't be doing it either, really. so, well, the kids should be abstaining from sex, until they are ready to have children both physically, emotionally, and materially....so, well, are the adults willing to live by the same rule?

just because one is married, doesn't mean one is equipped to take on having a kid does it? didn't think so. and well, even if married, and all financially set, if a couple already has 10 kids and mom already feels overwelmed, well, is it wise to have more?

isn't this what we married adults use birth control for???
why do we expect more from our children that we are willing to do ourselves?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join