It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black costume in Spider-Man 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Superherohype.com has an exclusive photo from Sony Pictures.
They say this is not a black and white photo.

You can find a larger picture if you click the link above.

I wonder if it really Tobey Maguire under the costume and not actually Topher Grace. This is how I envisioned that the Venom costume would look like.
Topher Grace as Venom. Manip by Umbrax.

Related Links:
Spider-man 3. Venom Vs.Spiderman
Gwen Stacy will be in Spider-Man 3.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here is a link to the official Spider-Man 3 web site.

spiderman.sonypictures.com...

You may think you’re looking at a black and white photo. Look closely, Spider-Man wears a black suit in Spider-Man 3. Tobey Maguire returns as Peter Parker / Spider-Man in Spider-Man 3. In Theaters 5/4/07

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Being honest I brushed the first post aside thinking no way.

So now I ask Why?

what is the reasoning behind changing the whole suit?

Makes no sence to me.

Would superman change his colors? Batman suit is going to be pink and yellow in the next movie.

I kind of like the look of it in the picture.. but still, the original suit can't be tampered with.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
i think its just coluring of the pic to make it look more depressing and what not

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
So now I ask Why?

what is the reasoning behind changing the whole suit?

One word, Venom.

In the Spider-Man comics Spider-Man's red and blues were replaced by a black and white costume during an event called "Secret Wars"
He later found out that the costume was an alien symbiote. Spider-Man learned that the costume was venerable to sonic attacks so he climbed up into a bell tower to get rid of it. The symbiote then attached itself to Eddie Brock, Peter Parkers Daily Bugle rival.
Together the symbiote and Brock formed Venom. The symbiote hated Spider-man for what he did to him. Brock blamed Parker of his life's troubles. Venom existed to kill Spider-Man.

For some info on Spider-man's costume changes in the comics check out this thread.
Iron Spider Man???

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Chissler, the black suit is from the comics.

Here's what happened, umbrax can probably fill the details that I've forgotten.

A long time ago there was a menace that threatened the entire world, and all the superheros of the Marvel Universe had to get together to defeat it. This, of course, invovled them traveling to alien worlds and fighting the bad guys. Along the way, spider-man's costume got torn up big time. Can't have a naked super-hero, so one of the super-aliens made him a new outfit from alien materials. It was the black outfit, with a white spider on it and white eyes. It made him stronger and faster and his spidey sense was better and all that. Which was great. But then, after a while, he came to realize that this suit was sort of....alive! It was an alien symbiont, and it was messing with his head. So finally he gets rid of it.

And so it would've ended, BUT, a newspaper photograhper (just like peter parker) named Eddie Brock, found the outifit, put it on, and got along with the symbiont. Eddie Brock was a big guy, but he seemed to be jealous of peter parker, who'd allways get better spider-man picks. The symbiont was hateful of peter parker too. So Brock learns from the symbiont that spider-man is peter parker, and the hate of the two of them becomes one all consuming hate. Eddie Brock becomes the super villian, Venom, sort of an 'evil spider-man'.

Most of spider-man's enemies have been 'evil opposites' of him, for what its worth. The Scorpion, he was made the same was as spider-man, to counter him infact, but with a radioactive scorpion rather than a spider. The lizard, same idea, half-man, half-creppy crawly creature.

Venom somewho spawns off another symbiont super-villian, Carnage.

Venom is basically a super-crazy cracked out evil spiderman. He has all of spiderman's powers, but spidey can't detect him with his spidey sense. And on top of that, the suit is alive, and it lets him change his appearance and also it moves like a weird liquid and can attack on its own.

And he drools a helluva lot.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Bought time. Venom and Carnage are the best villians in Spider Man

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Venom, btw, is teh r0x0R

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Ok.

So its a picture of Venom not Spiderman.

I am familiar with Venom from old cartoons, was never a comic book guy.

I was just reading it as this was spiderman and not Venom.

Anyone else see this one as being one of the best yet out of this series.

I personally have high hopes for it.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
i think its just coluring of the pic to make it look more depressing and what not

Sony is saying it is a black costume. There is a link a few posts up

Nygdan,, I think you covered it quite well. I have nothing more to add

I really think the Spider-Man 3 Venom will be a lot different than the comic version.

Sam Raimi comes from a different generation of comic book readers. He grew up on Spider-Man but Venom is after his time. I think he will take more creative liberties in this film.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Why is it that "Hollywood" always feels compelled to "improve" or change issues or elements that they find within novels or, in this case, comic books to make their production "better"?

My examples of this are Stephen King's, The Shining or, in the comic book world, "Superman I" and the kiss of forgetfullness or amnesia that Superman used to make Lois Lane forget that Superman was also Clark Kent?

Why do Hollywood types feel that they need to mess around with a superheroes powers or, in the case of the new Spiderman movie, the costume?

Why can't Hollywood producers and directors simply leave well enough alone? Do they really think that they can improve their films by altering basic elements of a character's image and personna?

I always point to the film, "Sin City" when I ask this question. They took Frank Miller's brilliant graphic novel and translated it into film without altering, it would seem, the elements that made "Sin City" the brilliant graphic novel that fans know and love.

All I can say is that Spidey's costume is not black. Don't change it! Would they change Superman's costume? Would they change The Batman's costume? Then why should they change Spiderman's costume?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Sin City is a great example of how a comic book movie can be just like the original material. CatWoman is a good example on how terrible a movie can be when it ventures too far from the source material.

Let's be realistic here. A Comic book is a comic book and a movie is a movie. When Hollywood decides to make a change because they just think it is better it can really go bad. But we can’t expect The movie Spider-Man to be involved in the Beyonder's Secret Wars and find the alien costume.

Some changes we have to accept because Film is a different media than Comics. Today many film and TV writers are getting into writing for comics because of the freedoms they get. When you write for film you have to worry if they have a budget to film what you are writing. In comics you can write any action or sci-fi scene you want. Imagination is the only limit.

As a comic fan you can either be mad at Hollywood or you can be happy to see your favorite characters on the big screen.
And that is a major thing for me and comic movies. The characters have to be true to the original material. Peter Parker has to be a nerd. Batman has to be intelligent. This is why I disliked the Hulk movie so much. Banner has to be a tormented person because he hates becoming the Hulk. Instead they made it so he "thinks he likes it."

I am worried about Spider-Man 3. I'm worried there will be too many characters and the movie will be watered down. I'm worried Eddie Brock/ Venom will be too different from the comics. I really don’t like the idea of bringing Gwen into the film. I do however trust in Sam Raimi. I've always liked his films. I'm an Evil Dead fan. I know that Raimi will do his best to make a great movie. He has jumped from cult status to mainstream status with the Spider-Man movies. I'm sure he will do his best not to screw this up.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Uh, it is the Symbiote costume, when it was attached to SPiderman. That explains why it is dark, am I the only one with a brain here who read Nygdans post?

Spidey has the symbiote for awhile, his costume was diferent then, therefor it is different here. Also Sam may go with the Show's version, not comic version, of how the Symbiote got here. A spaceship with JJs son(the same astronaut MJ was going to marry in SM2) lands on the moon, I think been a long time since I was a kid watching Spider Man, and the Symbiote climbs on board. Then on the return to earth it attacks, causing the space ship to crash in NYC, so Spidey saves the people on board, and finds the Symbiote.

So, they DO NOT CHANGE THE COSTUME!!! They are going along with the comic/cartoon show, where Spidey has a costume change when he is attached to the Symbiote.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
Also Sam may go with the Show's version, not comic version, of how the Symbiote got here. A spaceship with JJs son(the same astronaut MJ was going to marry in SM2) lands on the moon

That is possible and I thought for sure they were going to do that since they introduced John Jameson in the second film.
Since Topher Grace is cast as Eddie Brock I think they are emulating the "Ultimate" version of Venom.
In the Ultimate Spider-Man books Eddie Brock is Peter Parker's childhood friend. There is no symbiote alien. Instead the suit is genetically engineered and was created by the fathers of Brock and Parker. Chances are that in the movie they will try to merge Sandman and Venom's origin so they won’t have to spend much of the movie's time on that. Probably the black suit and Sandman will both come from the same lab.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
That makes sense umbrax. The problem with venom is that he brings in this entire cosmos of alien powers and other superheros and the like, that would clutter and be immpossible to properly represent in the movies.

Sort of like how the star trek cartoon had the K'zin in it, and thus remains non-canonical because you can't mix the star trek world with the "Man v. K'zin Wars" world.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Umbrax,
At risk of veering off topic, wouldn't you, at first like turning into the Hulk? i know i would enjoy it. In saying that, there is no doubt that Bruce Banner eventually becomes tormented by what he begins to realize is a curse, remember the movie was the very beginning of his story. Perhaps we will see this side of him in the following Hulk films..

I must say that i'm looking to the new spiderman movie, i have always loved the vennom charecter...but a question... how many villians are actually supposed to be in the movie? I thought Hobgoblin would be in this one..

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kojac
Umbrax,
At risk of veering off topic, wouldn't you, at first like turning into the Hulk? i know i would enjoy it. In saying that, there is no doubt that Bruce Banner eventually becomes tormented by what he begins to realize is a curse, remember the movie was the very beginning of his story. Perhaps we will see this side of him in the following Hulk films..

It really doesn't matter how I would feel. Dr. Bruce Banner, the character made by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, hated being the Hulk and was always looking for a cure. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to have a brilliant mind taken away and replaced with savage monster. Taking this element out of the movie is about the same as making Peter Parker a football player instead of a nerd.
But back to topic

but a question... how many villians are actually supposed to be in the movie? I thought Hobgoblin would be in this one..

I have all that information put together on this thread
Spider-Man 3: Your Official Information On The Next Spider-Man movie.

top topics

join