It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Detects 'Totally New' Mystery Explosion Nearby

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
could this info be related to this South Pole anomaly?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well, that CERTAINLY is one Weird Video.

You can Clearly See a Big Bright Light, as a Sun, with two little Lights around it.

I do not know if it has got something to do with this Current event - or if it is seen without a Telescope, because it is fairly far away, if you look at it.

But certainly looks strange!

[edit on 24/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
timing seems almost too coincidental for these events not to be related.

btw I just hope the all these extraterrestrial rays don't mess with my magnetic field or me.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

It's unlikely due to the time difference. The South Pole anomaly was written about on Feb. 13, while this phenomenon was detected on the 18th. There are three scenarios I can see where they could be related.

First, the mysterious explosion wasn't detected as soon as it appeared. This is unlikely, as amateur astronomers are cataloging the a lot of the sky every night, and most would call an observatory if they discovered a light that wasn't supposed to be there. Especially considering the discoverer usually gets to name the object.

Another possibility I can think of is that there is something that can travel faster than light that we are unaware of. This is because the forces involved in causing the quantum stall over the South Pole would have to get here before the light from whatever happened got here. This, too, is unlikely unless relativity is incorrect. In order for that to happen, those forces would have to have been going faster than light before the cataclysm happened in order to still be going faster than light.

The final possibility would be that there was something that happened there before visible light was generated that happened several days before the visible explosion took place. While this is the most likely scenario, I think we should look closer to home before attributing the quantum stall to something we didn't see, can't verify and don't understand. It's feasible, but I think for the south pole's activity, we should first try to explain it using observable and known phenomena (as I'm sure the Russian scientists are doing) before jumping to the conclusion that something unseen that came from the same place as the current explosion witnessed is the cause.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Another possibility I can think of is that there is something that can travel faster than light that we are unaware of. This is because the forces involved in causing the quantum stall over the South Pole would have to get here before the light from whatever happened got here. This, too, is unlikely unless relativity is incorrect. In order for that to happen, those forces would have to have been going faster than light before the cataclysm happened in order to still be going faster than light.

Actually, I think that gravity waves created by stars imploding are believed to travel faster than light - at least for a short period after the initial event. I remember some discussion here about a very large gamma ray burst that hit the earth a few hours after the December 26 Tsunami, and the possibility that the events were linked.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Actually, I think that gravity waves created by stars imploding are believed to travel faster than light - at least for a short period after the initial event. I remember some discussion here about a very large gamma ray burst that hit the earth a few hours after the December 26 Tsunami, and the possibility that the events were linked.

While some theories suggest gravity can instantly "appear" as a result of something along these lines, in this case it is most likely not what happened. If there were a gravity well generated 440 million light years away caused by this event, the effects would have been here for 440 million years. Assuming these theories are incorrect and that gravity does travel faster than light, but only slightly (gaining a several day lead on light over the course of 440 million years of travel) we would have seen the effects far earlier in the galaxies between this explosion and Earth. Those nearer to the explosion would have been effected by the gravity well far more, and we would see, instead of the red shift indicating everything in the universe is moving away from everything else, a different shift in the galaxies surrounding this burst indicating they were moving towards it. Since the red shift phenomenon is a constant outside of our galaxy, this is probably not what has happened.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If Nasa is keeping an eye on this event then they are probabley more concerned about satellite disruption than anything else. Unless they detected somthing other observers can not

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
If Nasa is keeping an eye on this event then they are probabley more concerned about satellite disruption than anything else. Unless they detected somthing other observers can not

There's more to NASA than just vehicular space exploration. NASA explores space in many ways, from using probes and manned space craft exploring the universe through optics using things like the Hubble Space Telescope. For more information on NASA's scientific exploration goals, see science@NASA.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No need to worry, as far as it's known a supernova that far away will have no direct effect on us:

www.universetoday.com...

There is also a bit of a delay before the highly charged particles reach here from the time we see it. The more energetic the event, the faster the particles travel.

A 1TeV event (trillion electron volt) 200 light years away would give us less than an hour. A 100GeV event at 200 light years gives us 3 days.

This has the tables on page 4.

personals.galaxyinternet.net...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join