It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Last night a vision came to me, a vision of filtered cigarettes. Why would they put them on if they do not work? Sure reasuring the consumer that they wont get cancer is one, but that cannot be all of it. I realized that when companies put the filter on a cigarette, they are able to use less tobacco, saving money. Then the consumer still pays more, and has a false sense of security. This is just one of the massive lies that is perpetrated by the tobacco industry. Other lies are that nicotene is not addictive, that they put extra nicotene in because it enhances the taste. That along with their ad campaign directed at the youth, and theirs and the cotton industries joint suppression of marijuana just goes to show what a lie the tobacco industry is. Plus they control most other corporations, what with Philip Morris owning Nabisco and other such corporate unions makes so that you cannot avoid tobacco companies no matter what industry you go to.

WRD seemed like the likeliest place to put this, as it was a conspiracy, but directly a government one (though the tobacco lobby is quite powerful in congress).

XAOS

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
xaos, my Dad smoked non-filtered Camel cigarettes for the duration of my youth. He has blown smoke through a kleenex to display the awful mess of tar. The amount of tar is less when filtered smoke is blown through. I believe a filter does work, as if that really says anything. Cigarettes are disgusting! They mean big money for some and death for others. Perhaps added 'filtration' is a marketing scheme...I doubt anything will prevent the lasting effects of the 'nail in the coffin'. Come to think of it, everyone thought my Dad was crazy and 'hardcore' for smoking non-filtered cigs. He smokes filtered cigarettes now and probably won't ever kick the habit.

posted on Oct, 14 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that filters or "reduced nicotine" or anything like that live up to their statement. There's like a constiracy behind the tobacco companies themselves.

Go to: www.thetruth.com... for lots of interesting info.

The thing that I find most depressing on that site is Project SCUM (SubCultural Urban Marketing).

If tobacco companies are doing things like that, then imagine what our governments can...

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Filter DO work, in some kind of way. I don't know by how much it reduce the quantity of nicotine. But that explain why second-hand smoke is more dangerous then filtered smoke.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The cig industry has never lied. (lol) :wink:

The filters do work. I have done the same "kleenex test" myself to see if there was a difference and there was a huge difference.

Another good thing with filters, is that you don't burn your fingers trying to get all of the tobacco out like a nonfilter. So the industry is being thoughtful of their penny pinching patrons so they don't burn themselves as easily.

And cigs are not addictive. I can do with out them. The last one I had was about an hour ago, and I am just now starting to have a nic fit.

****runs for smoke break*********

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If they didn't put filters on butts- there wouldn't be all those 'free advertisements' laying around or piling up in ashtrays...

GIs would cut out their 'police calls' & 'burn 'em if you got 'em' breaks!

the list goes on...manmade fibers, covert delivery systems...
+++++

my interest is the $666.00 i have invested, equal to 14 shares=growing to 18.2752 shares over the years....and the 21 shares of Nabisco, spun-off by RJR->but still being held 'ransome' by their 'dummy corp' aka;
rjr.acquisition corp.(formerly NGH)....AH ! what a tangled web we get caught in...
actually, the grandkids, will? might? profit handsomely?
...[in the next 20 years, that this is in litigation]

famous last words.... got an extra cigarette??

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Go see 'The Insider' by Michael Mann. A great film about the Tobacco Industry.

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The industry itself is a fascinating business study.

First a couple clarifications. Non filtered cigarettes are shorter than filtered ones, by about a filter length, so that is not a conspiracy. Nicotine does not add flavor, it is flavorless, colorless, highly addictive, and an additive to continue people smoking (it is also highly poisonous, one drop injected into the bloodstream can kill)

The tobacco industry boils down to one thing. Personal Choice. I know they are bad for me (good for my state, NC's, economy though). But I also know that Big Macs, Bourbon (in the quantities which I imbibe it) and promiscuous sex (remember college?) are also very dangerous. As a member of a 'free' society, I am, and should be able to partake in the vice of choice. The second hand smoke argument does not hold up. Nothing beyond aggravated asthma or some bronchitis in childer has ever popped up. While those are bad, cigareete smoking by people in area such as their homes(with no children around) BARS, and thier cars is FINE. Let them do as they wish.

The tobacco industry is the only industry that has to advertise AGAINST itself. It is rediculous. The laws passed to outlaw somking in bars in LA and NY are ostensibly to protect the workers, but a dispropotionate percentage of restaurant and bar workers smoke. Many of my fellow bar workers are annoyed far more by patrons that come into a BAR and complain about smoke. Heres an idea...keep your kids out of bars. And if you don't like to smoke, go to your nearest family friendly, non-smoking section and have a few drinks and an appetizer.

If you enjoy smoking, are educated as to its health effects, and still want to enjoy a nice smoke with a delicious beverage, there is not a thing in the world wrong with that. Your choice. But to force the Tobbacco industry to advertise against itself is ludacris.

If you ask me, the alcohol lobby is far stronger. Since prohibition, there is no movement to outlaw a substance that breaks far more families, casues far more problems, and hurts more people than alcohol. I say this as an alcohol enthusiast.

My point is, leave them be. THey are making a commodity. In this time, no one is not aware of the problems of smoking, so if they want to let them. Its their choice. And if their are companies out there that want to produce a product that people enjoy and will continue to buy, let them.

RJ Reynold sold Nabisco after the leveraged buyout in the mid 80's. Philip Morris (now Altria) bought them. RJR sold becasue their cigarette business made them more money. Thats fine. We are a Capitalist society. If a company wants to make money off of peoples choices, its their perogative to do so.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The whole tobbaccoo industry attacks are absolutely stupid.

First of all, people have known smoking is not only addictive, but unhealthy for over 100 years. Look in an old sears catlougue from the turn of the century and you find "curse" and snake oils to cure tobbacco addiction.

My grandmother knew back in 1936 when she was 16 that smokign was bad and addictive, but it dodnt stop her.

People who claim the tovbbacco industries lied to them deserve to die for being stupid #ers. DUH!!!!!!!!

Smoking is bad for you. So? Your body, your choice. If you like smoking, then do it, so long as you realize it could kill you. If you can take this, then feel free to continue, as I do. personally ciggarettes killing me is the least of my worries. if I live long enough without getting blown up, killed in a car crash, poisoned from ym food, the air i breathe, the radiation from everything around me, if the # I was exposed to in the army doesnt kill me, if some psychotic nut doesnt stab me to death, then dying from smoking is hardly anything I worry about. By that time, Ill be OLD. TOO old to enjoy my life anymore.

But really, anyone who claims they were unaware of the dangers of smoking are #ing liars or braindead retards who need to be weeded out before they breed. Even before this anti smoking insanity, I knew it was bad for me, it didnt stop me tho.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
who does not smoke. I puff a cigar on occassion, but that is about 4 times in a heavy month. I enjoy them, with a good liqouer or espresso or both.
I'm anti cigarettes because I'm anti-addict; no greater form of weakness than to be addicted to something, IMHO.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
But really, anyone who claims they were unaware of the dangers of smoking are #ing liars or braindead retards who need to be weeded out before they breed. Even before this anti smoking insanity, I knew it was bad for me, it didnt stop me tho.

Did anyone actually claimed that?!?! I thought the whole issue was just a way to make cig company admit that their # is bad. In fact, they didn't really lied, it's just that people would liek to see them crying out loud "It's bad for you, don't smoke it!".

Mainly because it's the only defense they have against cig company. And tobacco company never said "Smoking is good for you". No, they just arrange so cool and popular actor/actress smokes a cig or two in their latest movie, so youngins will be like "Wow, smoking look so cool." or "Hey, if this guy smoke and have chicks, why shouldn't I?"

Anyway, I'm tired of this whole issue, but most of all, tired of people who tried to get away with stuff like "Hey, I don't care about my health" or "I'll probably die way before cancer hit me". Come on people. Think of all the money you give for cig. And don't say they're a stress releiver for you, cuz they are a stimulus drug, like coffein. So that ain't true. If you don't do it for your self, do it for the others, thinking that if IF someday it get completly eradicated, maybe we will have the possibility to inject all those millions of dollars spent on tobacco producing in say, medicine? Technologie? Whatever... BUt something that would actually improve things.
Stop being selfish.

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
"Second Hand Smoke Fraud"
Link:
www.geocities.com...
(eye-opener)

"Secondhand Smoke Scam"
Link:
www.foxnews.com...

"Second-hand Smoke is Harmful to Science"
Link:
www.fumento.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 01:27 PM
link   
geez, that's a lot of info, but I don't care engouh about cigarette to read all this. Just tell me, why would filtered cig smoke cause cancer, but un-filtered cig smoke wouldn't?

It's still cigarette smoke, no mather what, even if you would blew it throught a frigging water bong.

And whoever plublished that, how can you trust it, while there's still website that says milk is bad, and others that says it's a big scam...

posted on Oct, 17 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It boils down to personal choice. And Cigarette mfg's are saying its bad for you. Plilip Morris is running a ton of TV spots. Also, a stimulant can be a stress reliever. First a stimulous to your body often helps your physical self catch up to the mental stuff going a mile a minute in your head, It can act as a temporary ritalin (also a stimulant used to calm down children with ADD)
Additionally, its the ritual, the act involved in taking a break, lighting a cigarette, and separating yourself from the current stressor that does many people alot of good.
Regardless, i don't think that the cig industry should have to advertise how bad its product is until the alcohol, fast food and gun industry does too (I am against all of these organisations advertising against themselves, i feel like the cig industry shouldn't have to either)
We live in a free society, let companies make a commodity that millions still enjoy. Its a personal choice.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumpy
It boils down to personal choice. And Cigarette mfg's are saying its bad for you. Plilip Morris is running a ton of TV spots. Also, a stimulant can be a stress reliever. First a stimulous to your body often helps your physical self catch up to the mental stuff going a mile a minute in your head, It can act as a temporary ritalin (also a stimulant used to calm down children with ADD)
Additionally, its the ritual, the act involved in taking a break, lighting a cigarette, and separating yourself from the current stressor that does many people alot of good.
Regardless, i don't think that the cig industry should have to advertise how bad its product is until the alcohol, fast food and gun industry does too (I am against all of these organisations advertising against themselves, i feel like the cig industry shouldn't have to either)
We live in a free society, let companies make a commodity that millions still enjoy. Its a personal choice.

Yah probably. But I used to smoke cigarette for like 4 or 5 years, and in the end, it didn't really calmed me down.
And people ususally smoke too much. When I was at high school, I was a complete toxico, and was willing to take almost anythign that'd get me high. One time, a friend of mine arrived at school with lots of Ritalin. I tried 2 times to ingest like 10 to 15 pills, and let me say that both time I was the complete opposite of calm.

So I think smoking lots of cigs just make that whole stress thing worst. But hey, that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
lots, yes. And ritallin, taken at your dosages should have gotten you super wired. If you really want to enjoy ratallin as a stimulant, cruch it and snort it (so i've heard)

But for many that smoke alot, the whoel ritual has ended up meaning more than the substance. I am a long time smoker, but not a heavy one. 2 or 3 smoke a day, and I am fine. But when the wife and I fight, there is nothing that gets us both on a more even keel than goiugn outside, and each lighting a smoke. Its probably the time, the ritual, the act of smoking, and I am sure it could be replaced (my preference, with sex!) but anyway, my argument still stands...if we are free, and capitalistic, then cig companies should be free to market their commodity without having to advertise against themselves. When they, and other makers of harmful products, are forced to do that, then our society has become that much less free....

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumpy
lots, yes. And ritallin, taken at your dosages should have gotten you super wired. If you really want to enjoy ratallin as a stimulant, cruch it and snort it (so i've heard)

Yes, I was kind of super weird, to say the least...

Kids, don't try this at home! Ritalins should never be taken in inapropriate dosage, or with the use of alcohol or other drugs.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Tabacco Is An Evil Industry And The Best Solution To The Problem Is Not To Smoke. Why Would You Want To do this . Every one knows what it would do to you . you only live once why cut that life in half ?

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
who does not smoke. I puff a cigar on occassion, but that is about 4 times in a heavy month. I enjoy them, with a good liqouer or espresso or both.
I'm anti cigarettes because I'm anti-addict; no greater form of weakness than to be addicted to something, IMHO.

what about coffee, and things like that?

I used to have a problem with smoking, but since I started, I've gained a tollerance for it, I understand what the people were going through before I started.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think filters are a good way to help people start smoking. If a first timer smoke an unfiltered cig it is going to be really harsh and they are likely to decide smoking is not for them When a first timer smoke a filtered cig it is not as harsh, though not pleasant, so they are not turned off by the harshness of smoking.

top topics

join