It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how possable was Jurrasic Park ? Really

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I agree, the DoD would take zero interest in this.

But the normal people would love it...Who wouldn't want to go to some vacant country, or island, and take a tour of a "Jarassic Park" type of thing. Except i'd probably leaves out the carnivors...but thats just me.

The spanish Gov is currently trying to clone a bucardo (mountain) goat, the last one died in 2000. But the fact is even if you have a perfect DNA straind, 90% of clones still fail, and the ones that live usually arn't in good shape...meaning: diseases, sick a lot, poor immune systems, and genectic abnormalies.

Disosuars are probably just to old, and will never be re-created...hell, were missing more then half of their DNA.
Hopefully Woolly Mammoths can be cloned, I'd like to see one alive. They found the best preserved one in Siberias in 2003...So hopefully with that and then fill in the emtpy ones spots an elephants dna, and have the mammoth become un-extinct.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Are you kidding? Imagine creating a bunch of Raptors and letting them loose in a part of Africa with Diamond mines. Then a rival diamond company detonates the chip they implanted in their Raptors and move in to take over the mine!

Or imagine the Government of a rouge nation, like the USA, wanting to invade a country with say... Oil. Right now they have to claim the country has WMDs, invade, change reason for invasion, change it again, then change it again while killing as many Arabs as possible. Now imagine what you could do with this technology, make some Deinonych or maybe something bigger, like a Rex, and let them loose in said nation with oil. They kill and eat the people, then the rouge nation, USA, says another nation they want to invade for oil did it, invade original one after detnating chips in dinos killing them, and the new country and get all the oil without having to lie about WMDs.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3Point0
Actually, after hearing that last reply, it got me to thinking. Creation of Dinosaurs could infact be an "interesting" idea for military use, if not for the dangers involved in having to keep them under control, and countless other factors that would count against this being realistic option.

I think advanced robots would be cheaper to develop, and better since they can be controlled and dont need to be fed, taken care of and such. i recommend the scifi movie 'Red Planet' if you want to see how a perfect DoD robot would be.

Good movie too, if you like Scifi!

Originally posted by DevinS
Are you kidding? Imagine creating a bunch of Raptors and letting them loose in a part of Africa with Diamond mines. Then a rival diamond company detonates the chip they implanted in their Raptors and move in to take over the mine!

Again, robots would be better. Or even chimps, maybe a bit modified to have more musclemass, and be more intelligent.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

DoD and control? What are you talking about? DoD if given dinosaurs would not drop the initial prospect of dinosaurs in place of soldiers. My best guess is until it is proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the idea is not functionable, then they would drop it. For crying out loud, the US government never drops a project, the DOE still debates about running cold fussion experiments! If the US military doesn't use them, some other military will.

Besides, they would be great for private security and the animal rights activist can bite the big one.

Then again, this is if dinosaurs could be cloned.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   

the Government of a rouge nation, like the USA, wanting to invade a country

gee, nice and subtle...

Seriously, does every f*ckin thread need a Bush basher.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Theortically it is possible to make any living thing by altering DNA to a point were you would create that species. Here are two ways you could do that.

Take amino acids seperate them and put them into a host cell, and it will grow into what ever. Problem with that is, you have no clue what strands do what. For all you know, what you put in that cell is the coding for hmm ... toe tissue? so it would take a un godly amoutn of time to create something as complex as a dinosaur. Also playing god can be bad. What if you accidentally create a bacteria that could wipe out human life, or cats and dogs, and mutates apes then its the plaent of the apes! In all seriouness it's possible, just not now.

Second possible way is to take a Lizard or any other reptile or a species that has a evolutaianry lineage to a dinosaur and mess with its DNA to see what you get.

Any way building a dinosaur would take... a long time.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Although Shadow19 already beat me to it...You remember the movie (book actually), they had to use frog DBA to suppliment the DNA in the amber. (I also like his idea of why not bird DBA)
So, you would not have TRex but FrogRex, or Velosiraptor but Velosifrogtor.
The bookwas great as Crichton is brrilliant. I be likin his stuff.
skep

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
DNA strands from dead cells get degraded over time, usually over 175 years the DNA extracted is overly contaminated and it is unusable. So ya getting dino DNA from a mosquito trapped in tree amber 200 milion years ago would be virtually impossible.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Its kinda funny I read this, because there is another ATS thread that reports about researchers finding soft tissue and what appears to be blood vessels in the femur of a T-Rex in Montana this summer.

Cool.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
But that filling in missing holes in a DNA sample is pure fantasy with current tech it cant be done.

Sure it can. The problem is more about knowing what to fill in, not filling it in at the right spots.

In theory perhaps but not in practice with current tech. We cant even work with preserved thylacine DNA that has degrade over not even a single century.

In fact, further investigation has now revealed that the thylacine DNA is far too degraded to even construct an DNA library.

There is no way we can at present work with DNA that has degraded over 65 millon years. The technology for recovering degraded DNA and extracting it is getting better but its not even close to doing something like Jurassic park.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Or imagine the Government of a rouge nation, like the USA, wanting to invade a country with say... Oil. Right now they have to claim the country has WMDs, invade, change reason for invasion, change it again, then change it again while killing as many Arabs as possible. Now imagine what you could do with this technology, make some Deinonych or maybe something bigger, like a Rex, and let them loose in said nation with oil. They kill and eat the people, then the rouge nation, USA, says another nation they want to invade for oil did it, invade original one after detnating chips in dinos killing them, and the new country and get all the oil without having to lie about WMDs.

I found this rather amusing. Setting a bunch of raptors loose in a government to kill off the area and move in, only to take over resources. Firstly, dinosaurs only killed when hungry, not for amusement. They would find a means to co-exist and would certainly look for a jungle-like environment they're instincts would be familiar with. Humans are the only creatures who kill for pleasure/amusement. Secondly, electronics fail all the time, planting chips in raptors to kill them would not eliminate them all because being implanted inside them a majority of the chips would fail. This could be due to chip malfunction, brain waves/neurons traveling throughout the body. The fact of the matter is that you would not be able to eliminate them all, even if you could make a more aggressive raptor that would kill for fun (which would be extremely dangerous). Also, "Deinonychus," being the largest of the raptor family(other than the supposed Utah Raptor which hasn't been proven to my knowledge yet), is not horribly large. The "Jurassic Park" version of the velociraptor is horribly off, making them stand 2 meters tall? This is incorrect, in fact, they stand only 3 feet tall and 2 meters long from tip of the nose to end of the tail. That's not horribly big. Not to mention T-Rex wasn't the biggest or meanest of the carnivores either, you'd be better off with something with larger arms, such as, Acrocanthosaurus, But Still... It's fairly large and could easily be taken out with a rocket launcher or helicoptor. I liked your idealogy on this, but fact of the matter is this wouldn't hold up anywhere.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Not to mention T-Rex wasn't the biggest or meanest of the carnivores either, you'd be better off with something with larger arms, such as, Acrocanthosaurus,

I dont know if I would agree with that. T-rex had the strongest estimated bite of any creature that ever lived. T-rex had teeth that would best be described as armour piercing spikes more then capable of crushing bones. Acro's had large, thin, teeth more like a steak knife great for ripping meat but would break if used on bone. T-rex also had a larger brain then Acro.

These are all true for even the bigger Giganotosaurus. I would give the nod to the smarter bone crushing bite of the T-rex over either of these thin tooth theropods

As for the Raptor there might be a contender that dwarfes even the Utah Raptor. The Megaraptor namunhuaiquii ("large thief with lance feet") was 25 to 30 feet long and probably stood 13 feet tall" with a giant 13-inch slashing toe-claw
Theres still debate as if its a true dromaeosaurid or not but no matter that would still be one awesome killer.

megaraptor

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
There are dino egg fossils with a remarkable amount of microscopic detail preserved.

I wonder if, under the right conditions, the mineralization process that occurs to create a fossil could actually preserve DNA?

The other alternative would be to “reverse engineer” the DNA back from its current form to a predecessor form.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by HowardRoark]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

The other alternative would be to “reverse engineer” the DNA back from its current form to a predecessor form.

Thats a interesting prospect and one that I havent seen brought up that often. Not impossible IMO Birds still contain some trace of their dino DNA heritage. Some chickens have grown teeth a structure birds have lacked for millions of years, proof they retain some of this recessive trait.

www.sciam.com... 83414B7F0000

Who knows what we will be able to do in the future so I wouldnt rule it out.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Not to mention T-Rex wasn't the biggest or meanest of the carnivores either, you'd be better off with something with larger arms, such as, Acrocanthosaurus,

I dont know if I would agree with that. T-rex had the strongest estimated bite of any creature that ever lived. T-rex had teeth that would best be described as armour piercing spikes more then capable of crushing bones. Acro's had large, thin, teeth more like a steak knife great for ripping meat but would break if used on bone. T-rex also had a larger brain then Acro.

These are all true for even the bigger Giganotosaurus. I would give the nod to the smarter bone crushing bite of the T-rex over either of these thin tooth theropods

As for the Raptor there might be a contender that dwarfes even the Utah Raptor. The Megaraptor namunhuaiquii ("large thief with lance feet") was 25 to 30 feet long and probably stood 13 feet tall" with a giant 13-inch slashing toe-claw
Theres still debate as if its a true dromaeosaurid or not but no matter that would still be one awesome killer.

megaraptor

You are right about Acro's having thin, more so, serrated teeth, I still would pick them over T-Rex. Just because of the fact that Dino's had large, extremely resiliant bone structures. Acro's teeth would, IMO, work just fine against something as fragile as a human, lol. And I forgot about "Megaraptor namunhuaiquii," but yes, I was refering to facts, and this is still unproven. It's been a while since I've done any research into Dinosaurs so my terms aren't quite up to date, but I do remember quite the hefty chunk. But, on the more humorous side, I think I'd rather just hang a tree in front of an "Ultrasaurus" ((sauropod which when I quit researching dinosaurs only a leg had been found from this extremely large and docile creature) and atach laser's all over it with plate armoring and send it into battle. Now that'd be a sight to see.

As for the reverse engineering, that's an idea, but it took us years and years to complete the human genome. Imagine how hard and how long it would be for them to work backwords working with partial DNA and birds/reptile DNA. We wouldn't even be sure what we were creating. Playing god isn't something you want to mess with unless you're absolutely sure you know what's going on every second. It's certainly no child's play.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Thats a interesting prospect and one that I havent seen brought up that often. Not impossible IMO Birds still contain some trace of their dino DNA heritage. Some chickens have grown teeth a structure birds have lacked for millions of years, proof they retain some of this recessive trait.

Reverse engineering the DNA would speed up the processes of trying to desgin a dinosaur, but lets say you wanted a Raptor. What living animal could you use to reverse engineer it?

Just a thought, could you take lizard DNA and tweak the hox genes to create something larger to mimic something like a dinosaur?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

You are right about Acro's having thin, more so, serrated teeth, I still would pick them over T-Rex. Just because of the fact that Dino's had large, extremely resiliant bone structures. Acro's teeth would, IMO, work just fine against something as fragile as a human, lol. And I forgot .

Yeah I guess against humans its wouldnt make much of a difference. Our little chicken bones wouldnt be much of a problem. But if it was fight between T-Rex and Acro I would put my money on the Tyrant Lizard king.

Mainly for the reason I would pick a Pitbull over even larger dog. A super strong bite can be a huge advantage.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesnafued1
Reverse engineering the DNA would speed up the processes of trying to desgin a dinosaur, but lets say you wanted a Raptor. What living animal could you use to reverse engineer it?

I would think some type of bird maybe a ostrich. Seems like something like that would need the least amount of tweaking to make something that resembled a dinosaur.

This IMHO is far beyond modern tech but may be possible in the Future. Like was mentioned we just mapped the Human genome and we are still learning alot.

I guess in theory much of the dinosaur genetic code may be deep down inside bird genes somewhere even the huge size. Might be worth practicing on crocodiles first since they havent change much except for size. They use to get 40ft plus long if we could trigger that recessive gene could be a good start.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
DNA strands from dead cells get degraded over time, usually over 175 years the DNA extracted is overly contaminated and it is unusable. So ya getting dino DNA from a mosquito trapped in tree amber 200 milion years ago would be virtually impossible.

If creating a real life dino is anywhere close to possible, chances are someone has already been researching and executing the project since the profit generated by the dino is virtually endless. Everyone would pay almost anything just to see a real living raptor, T rex etc. Imagine eating a dino meat burger, using their hide to make exotic handbags for women...The profit possibilities are endless.

So chances are if creating a dino is ANYWHERE close to possible, someone has already done it.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthUnificationFrontier
. Imagine eating a dino meat burger

mmmmm Dino burgers
That mad me laugh. I bet they would taste like chicken.

I have to agree the profit potential would be huge. What did the lawyer say in Jurrasic Park " we are going to be rich" or something to that effect? I would have to agree with him

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join