It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contacts for stigmatism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Ok, well to start off, this is not a thread proclaiming the production of mass producable contacts for stigmatis.

Now, onto the thread.

I recently went to the eye doctors to do a visio exam and order a new pair of glasses, now I've known since last year that I have a stigmatism of the eye, for anyone who does'nt know what that is, it's like this.

A normal eye is spherical and marble shaped, an eye with a stigmatism on the cornea is more football shaped.

Now, at the time I was'nt thinking about contacts, I feared them for along time, always imagining that it would slip behind my eye or hurt my eye, but this time I decided to ask about them, since I'm sorta tired of wearing glasses.

And thats when I found out that I could'nt use normal contacts, that I would need a specially made pair, or a pair that molds
(I'm not sure if she meant they mold to your eye shape, or they mold your eye), this pretty much sorta made me a little down and p*ssed. I was looking forward to trying contacts, but since the only way I could have them, would be unpleasant and expensive, I can't.

Now, on to my question for you all.

Whyin the wide world can't they make contacts that fit any type of eye?

I mean, it does'nt seem like it should be to hard to accomplish.

So yeah, that's basically it.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think, but I'm not sure, that is has to do with the focal length of the lens. When you wear glasses, the lens is made to have a longer focal length and they can manipulate the shape of the lens without any danger of hitting your eye (obviously), but with contacts, the lens can't vary very much due to the short focal length (since it's literally on your eye) and any major irregularity in shape in the lens to compensate for an irregularity in the eye may risk grinding or hurting eye tissue.

That's just a semi-educated guess, I'm in medicine, but not optometry. Hope it helps a little.

Ciao ciao e buone notte,
~MFP

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have a stigmatism, and i've worn contacts for them for 6 years now and it's really no different from any other contact. Except for the fact that a normal contact spins around your eye during the course of a normal day. While they are slightly more expensive its not really a problem. I pay close to ninety dollars for a year supply (6 pair). But the only real difference is that with a stigmatism the contact cant roll in your eye or you will lose focus.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You'll have to forgive me, I'n rather unknowlegable about all of this.

What does the contact spinning in the eye provide, like what does that do?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
they tried the same bs on me as well, but i asked to try normal ($25 for 3 mos supply) contacts. i abuse my eyes by not taking contacts out for up to 6 months at a time. over the past 10 years my vision has improved and i no longer have an astigmatism.

top topics

join