It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible condones slavery

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
First off to Thinker..
I like your method or reasoning. It is not with histronics.
Slavery is a man made institution practiced by just about every civilization on earth. The tendency for rational logical histronic peoples is to blame it on God. This is a man made institution...world wide...no matter what the religions. This was the custom of the day. 20/20 hindsight always makes us think we are more or better than others. REmember these people did not have electricity..stereos, televisions, automobiles..etc etc etc. IN just about every nation in existance ..a few people had a little the rest had almost nothing. Almost everything was labor intensive.
A poor person in this country lives today better than a king did back then. We often forget this while passing sentance on the customs back then.
Some of you need to imagine what would happen if they freed all the slaves on one day in any given nation...they would starve to death many of them. This topic came up in reading something about a machine invented in the time of the ancient Romans which would save alot of manpower. The Romans turned it down ..when it was offered to the Government. THe problem or matter at issue was what would they do with all the slaves...they could not just turn them loose. Hence the invention did not make use or come to fruitition.
I dont condone slavery in this ..but Just that some of you while looking with 20/20 hindsight ...do not think of the conditions or prioritys of the nations at hand ..nor the origins of the practice of slavery.
Yes Thinker ..it does border on a type of insanity...because of what I posted above. We tend to think we are so superior to those of centurys ago...I dont happen to think so in many arenas. One of my biggest fears is to be stuck on a deserted Island with about 200 or so of these intellectuals who can pass judgements like this but no real skills in life. This is why I call it 20/20 hindsight.

Rasobasi420
I agree the bible did not cause world wide slavery as it was practiced in nations not under the Olde or New Testaments. This is obvious.

I dont pass judgement on God...the concept I know is of a Soverign God..not a subject god on whom his subjects pass judgement on what he requires us to do or not do.
This is not what you get in most churchs today. What you get is a subject god.

As I stated to Thinker...we can always assume greatness with 20/20 hindsight. The question is what would we do if we were time warped back to those days ...not from the security of our living rooms behind our televisions sets.
The concept is that a Soverign God does not practice the morals of men...but of Himself. This is called His will be done. A huge gulf.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I dont pass judgement on God...the concept I know is of a Soverign God..not a subject god on whom his subjects pass judgement on what he requires us to do or not do.
This is not what you get in most churchs today. What you get is a subject god.

As I stated to Thinker...we can always assume greatness with 20/20 hindsight. The question is what would we do if we were time warped back to those days ...not from the security of our living rooms behind our televisions sets.
The concept is that a Soverign God does not practice the morals of men...but of Himself. This is called His will be done. A huge gulf.

What I was trying to say was that this seems to be an instance of man imposing his will and calling it God's. When this happens you must step up and admit the possibility that this isn't god talking, but a wealthy slave owner who managed to convince some people that rules needed to be made for slaving. Maybe judging God isn't what's necessary. Maybe we need to judge more crefully what truly is the word of God, and seperate that from people claiming the word of God.

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join