It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lost files!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
HTH do I find out WTH my files have gone?

I have like 20 blank file icons in my kodak pictures that once held pictures but are now empty-they all have the same freaking last edited date etc but I can promise you I did't dump whole piles of photos-I can't even get myself in gear to go through the files and edited out pictures within them, though I am forever planning to...

so where did they go and where can I find them?!?!?!?

I noticed the fact those files just had a blank file folder icon instead of the usual little thumbnails of some of the pictures within...and so the've been gone for some time...are they gone forever...where? How? Why?

ARGH!!!!!

[edit on 23-2-2006 by think2much]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Start > Search > Search for All Files and Folders >

Put in the file name

If this doesn't find them...

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View >

Show Hidden Files and Folders

Back to option number 1. This probably won't find it if the first search doesn't but its worth the shot.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by think2much
they all have the same freaking last edited date

That sounds suspisciously like a virus that hit me and wiped out half the media files in my computer. Have you run a virus scan? Updated the virus pattern definitions?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Start > Search > Search for All Files and Folders >

Put in the file name

If this doesn't find them...

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View >

Show Hidden Files and Folders

Back to option number 1. This probably won't find it if the first search doesn't but its worth the shot.

That finds the file folders that are in the pictures folder-but they're empty-I don't have the file number for each pic so I can't search for each picture that way and if I did a search for all jpgs we're talking tens of 1,000's-I take ALOT of pictures-so they'd all come up

ARGH!! (but thanks)

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
That sounds suspisciously like a virus that hit me and wiped out half the media files in my computer. Have you run a virus scan? Updated the virus pattern definitions?

UGH...that is what I was afraid of but I've done all these freakin virus scans, just spent like $100 on mcaffee product downloads-which yielded NOTHING and seem to be making my computer WORSE if thatis possible since downloading them last month.

ARGH! I'm going to check with adaware and spybot etc and what I can clean up in my computer...I think those files are lost though-oh my god if you knew what my photography meant to me! I can't believe this.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That finds the file folders that are in the pictures folder-but they're empty-I don't have the file number for each pic so I can't search for each picture that way and if I did a search for all jpgs we're talking tens of 1,000's-I take ALOT of pictures-so they'd all come up

ARGH!! (but thanks)

Windows' built in search feature really really sucks. Try using this search software instead: Ava Find

It's like Google for your computer, in fact better than Google Desktop in my opinion. It will show hidden files in it's search result. Totally awesome program, you'll soon become totally dependent on it

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Beachcoma-that sounds pretty cool-except una problemo....is it easy for anyone to then find anything on my computer?
See, I have some privacy issues and I don't want to make it to easy for prying eyes to find things...

ugh...I don't know...I am fearing they are gone...gone gone

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

UGH...that is what I was afraid of but I've done all these freakin virus scans, just spent like $100 on mcaffee product downloads-which yielded NOTHING and seem to be making my computer WORSE if thatis possible since downloading them last month.

I work in a microsoft department with viruses, and believe me I find alot of problems with Norton and Mcafee. Too many people trust their money in these programs, my pain beef is the first time you have a problem with the program you paid for, they expect another $40 for you to get a chance to speak to them.

Thats enough for me to boycott them.

I use...

Free AVG Antivirus

No different than Norton or Mcafee, only its free; Updates itself daily and detects everything they do and then some I find.

Check it out!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
think2much - I know what you mean. Fortunately so do the software developers. It's got an option to block certain folders from being included in the search.

Alternatively you can just stop it from loading at startup and remove the shortcuts from the Start menu, running it manually whenever you need to use it.

On another note, chissler's right about Norton and McAfee -- they're overated. AVG is an excellent free anti-virus software. Another brand, the one I've been using for two years now without problems or complaint is avast! Antivirus

The Home Edition is free. I kinda like the interface better than AVG. It's sleeker. Sexy.

join