It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain to go more European

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Now the EU want us to go metric ,first it was fruit now our road signs. I find this to be another example of centralisation. Everyday there is another example of centralisation but the EU is not a government just a group of countries.

www.sky.com
Britain is being urged to go the extra mile and switch all road signs to kilometers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Neil Kinnock the one who never got the labour party into power now seems to have more power than if he had of won the general election he fought for,He lost an election but still dictates rules while collecting a fat pay check from Brussels.

I ask how much would it cost the tax payer to replace all these signs?, My answer iis If your in the sign business it's going to be a great year.

[edit on 23/2/2006 by kuhl]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
And so marches on the great Nazi master plan. All of europe under the great german banner, goose stepping our way into camps for dissenters....

I hate europe, hate all it stands for, cannot abide the deep overwhelming corruption and deciet, and abhore the idea that i have to pay taxes to support lazy arsed farmers in tin pot third world countries to produce sh@ we don't even get to eat......

Give us back our country Blair you bastard......Down with europe, down with europeans. Lets get back to a free trade with who ever we like, support the common wealth not greek bloody farmers and spanish pirate fishermen, and being proud to be an Island of independant people.

DOWN WITH EUROPE. SAY NO TO A FEDERAL SUPERSTATE RUN BY NAZI SYMPATHISERS.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm surprised you still have Imperial measurements on your roads...I thought we in the U.S. were the lone holdouts.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm surprised you still have Imperial measurements on your roads...I thought we in the U.S. were the lone holdouts.

No were with you all the way ,It's all miles here and so it should stay.Kilometers? Whats all that about? If things carry on the Euro way I shall bring my skills to the USA if they'll have me lol.I see no probs though I'm a telecomms engineer.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Today at the Scottish Labour Party conference, at the MacDonald Complex in Aviemore. Mr. Blair openly admitted, that politics are a conspiracy, if so, Blair for the presidency of a Federal Republic of Europe.

Are the small changes, hiding a different agenda.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Other than the French farm subsidies and the potentially letting turkey join, I think that the EU is great. I am proud to be part of it. And why not have the road signs in kilometres? I personally look at all the other imperial units with puzzlement. I am an Engineer and all my calculations and measurements are always in metric, it is so much better than using imperial, so why not have metric speed limits? Ireland just changed (well actually concurrent). I could understand the fuss if we were talking about making us drive on the other side of the road and having to change all the roads/ junctions / cars etc., but what is the problem with using kms? I could see your point if you were arguing that it is a waste of money, but then so are MPs and Dole scum.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Neil Kinnock the one who never got the labour party into power now seems to have more power than if he had of won the general election he fought for,He lost an election but still dictates rules while collecting a fat pay check from Brussels.

Well, he is in the House Of Lords...
I dont think he gets a "fat pay check from Brussels"....he isn't French.
things will probably change, Blair will butter them up so he can be first to walk in the office of the EU President.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
pull out of the EU - none of us can stand each other anyway!!

every country hates britain (especially the french frog eaters).

we put too much into the EU, and france have WAYYY too much to say about our affairs (chirac thinks he owns us)

[edit on 24-2-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i understand what ur sayin about the money, but i personally think its a good idea, the closer we get with the rest of europe the better, also miles is such a stupid way of measuring distance its so outdated and needlessly confusing! Kilometres is the way

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
ehhh i dont bout you people but ilive in the netherlands and i can tell you one thing EURO

Hope britain dusnt make the same mistake

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
Now the EU want us to go metric ,first it was fruit now our road signs.

- So the only thing anyone is talking about is that we consider switching from miles to kilometres, correct?

....cos we are already metric in just about everything else now, right?

You should reread your article; it doesn't say the EU are demanding we do anything actually.

I find this to be another example of centralisation. Everyday there is another example of centralisation

- Maybe you could list the "everyday examples" for say the last two weeks that you want to claim have been forced upon us then, hmmmm?

Go on, 14 examples of the EU forcing unwanted change on the UK in the last 2 weeks.

I shall not be holding my breath.

but the EU is not a government just a group of countries.

- Quite so, a cooperating collective acting in concert for mutual benefit, an excellent idea and one that has done the UK and the rest of Europe a hell of a lot of good for a long time.

- Er, Neil Kinnoch stopped being an EU commissioner in 2004 actually.
He has merely backed this British campaign and explained why -

UKMA (United Kingdom Metric Association) chairman Robin Paice said: "The Irish have shown how easily, safely, and economically it can be done. The British government should just get on with it."

Ex-Labour leader Lord Kinnock, who is backing the report, says the UK's imperial signs contradict its modern image.

In an introduction to the report, he says: "Our imperial road signs are perhaps the most obvious example of the muddle of measurement units in the United Kingdom.

"They contradict the image - and the reality - of our country as a modern, multicultural, dynamic place where the past is valued and respected and the future is approached with creativity and confidence."

news.bbc.co.uk...

I ask how much would it cost the tax payer to replace all these signs?, My answer iis If your in the sign business it's going to be a great year.

- Why don't these people stop wasting time and resources pretending there is the slightest chance of this happening?

The Sky link you provide shows it hasn't been approved by the UK government and it also states clearly that this is not a case that "the EU want us to go metric " on our roads at all.

Britain should set an early date for converting its road signs from miles to kilometres, a report by the UK Metric Association says.
The imperial signs are a "confusing" exception as most of the UK officially operates in metric measures, it claims.

It says conversion would make it easier to calculate fuel consumption and enable more finely tuned speed limits.

However, the government insists it has no plans to make the switch, which would be a "waste of taxpayers' money".

news.bbc.co.uk...

- I could care less whether people are pro or anti-EU, it's a free country (personally I am pro-EU)
but
I do wish the anti-EU side could at least try to keep the debate honest and stop blatantly trying to use exaggerated myth and outright lies and falsehoods to create ridiculous 'strawman' arguments.

.....and of course that is without mentioning the absurd inherent suggestion that there is something to be concerned, worried or frightened about by claiming a part of the world that is already 'European' is set to (somehow) become even more 'European'.

Cooooo, the horror.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
What I would like to know is how much is this going to cost the British Tax payer??? Does anyone have an idea how much it costs to replace EVERY road sign from Lands end to John O Groats and everywhere else in between? Then what is the motorist going to have to pay to have their speedometer in their car changed out for one that reads KM's?? The speed cameras are going to be raking in cash from people confused about the change, another blow from the government turning ordinary people into criminals for the sake of making 60 pound a time.

They can go stick their EU up their

BTW some of us still buy goods in ounces, halfs and quarters if you know what I mean

[edit on 26-2-2006 by Oakley]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oakley
What I would like to know is how much is this going to cost the British Tax payer?

- Nothing.

You could try reading the thread; the claims made about the given link are bogus.
(The EU isn't doing anything about this, it is a British pressure group asking for the UK government to consider making this change.)

It isn't going to happen (for any realistic foreseeable future at least).

Does anyone have an idea how much it costs to replace EVERY road sign from Lands end to John O Groats and everywhere else in between?

- I'm sure it's been costed by someone.

But it isn't simply a matter of costing the signage and making the change, there would be cost savings to offset against that initial cost.

If you want to know a little of the other side to this you could try looking at the UKMA links.

Then what is the motorist going to have to pay to have their speedometer in their car changed out for one that reads KM's?

- Er, I think you'll find it has been mandatory for all UK vehicle speedometers to have a kilometres scale as well as a miles per hour scale since the mid 1970's.

The speed cameras are going to be raking in cash from people confused about the change, another blow from the government turning ordinary people into criminals for the sake of making 60 pound a time.

- .....or alternatively they might not speed and therefore not incur the fine.

The idea that Britons simply couldn't 'handle' KPH is ridiculous and frankly insulting nonsense.

They can go stick their EU up their

- ......or alternatively you might stop getting wound up over some of these ridiculous childish myths and lies and get angry about what is really going on in the world, hmmmm?

BTW some of us still buy goods in ounces, halfs and quarters if you know what I mean

- Yeah and if you go to Amsterdam I'm sure you're only too happy to buy in grammes.

and
so
what?

It's the same stuff only measured by a modern, more widely known and understood, metric system as opposed to a very old Roman one.
Big deal.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
*chuckles* Ok im in american and maybe me butting in isnt exactly kosher here, but I think England should stay the way it is. Even the US has it's holdovers from England, we use miles, weigh things in pounds, we use gallons to fill up our cars.....

Maybe the US should unite with our motherland!

Long live our Imperial measurements!

Keep the English measurements! metric is ok for international, but keep the old ways!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I say we stay the way we are, the way we have been for hundreds of years. Lets cut off all ties with Europe and be our own god damn country for a change.

The EU, making Britain, worse.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Maybe the US should unite with our motherland!

Well, we did try to convince you nicely back in the 1770's (and 1812 I believe)
hehe, but you bloody Yanks always think you know best

On the subject of metricisation, I would prefer using metric. I used to get by with Imperial, but it is confusing and illogical. Metric is simple and based on science.

How many of you imperials out there could tell me (without looking it up on google!!
) how many yards are in a mile?

Or for that matter,how many metres are in a mile? Does anyone know how far a mile is?

Or how many ounces in a pound (well, the "smokers" out there would know about ounces!).

I know how far a Kilometre is, but a mile is just random in comparison and makes no sense.

Metric all the way!

And stick with the EU while we're at it. All the Euro sceptics who get their info from either the Sun or UKIP seem to blindly gloss over the overwhelming benefits that being in the EU has provided the UK.

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If we stick with the EU, the Euro will probably come here and that would be a sad day indeed. In one fell swoop, centurys of history wiped out. I admit it, I actually hate what has happened in Europe, scrapping the currency that they have had for hundreds of years in favour of the 'Euro'.

Down with the EU!

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
I say we stay the way we are, the way we have been for hundreds of years.

- The idea that the UK has stood unchanging for hundreds of years is just false.

In any case British people have not been taught imperial measurements in almost everything for decades; the idea that the UK should reject metric measurements is simply absurd and would cost us a hell of a lot more trouble and cash........

..... than this idiotic lie.

Face it guys the thread on which this latest EU-bash hangs is bogus.

Deny ignorance is supposed to be the motto around here, right?

Lets cut off all ties with Europe and be our own god damn country for a change.

- We are our own country.
We are acting in cooperation with our largest single trading partners to our mutual benefit and security.

The EU, making Britain, worse.

- OK, there's the slogan.......now (sorry if some think this is taking the thread off topic but then again, as pointed out, the thread is based on a total falsehood) the lets hear how the EU is making the UK "worse", exactly, hmmmm?

Quite why some people in Britain wish to clutch on to their ancient Roman measurements (including the £, yes that was a Roman import too) - to the point of making up ridiculous lies about what is going on - is beyond me.

......and get over it, we are sticking with the EU.

[edit on 26-2-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
If we stick with the EU, the Euro will probably come here and that would be a sad day indeed. In one fell swoop, centurys of history wiped out. I admit it, I actually hate what has happened in Europe, scrapping the currency that they have had for hundreds of years in favour of the 'Euro'.

Down with the EU!

But why? Like I said above, the actual, tangible benefits of mebership of the EU far outwieghs "going it alone". As a member, we get several major benefits.

1. Scientific Co-operation in ESA, EADS etc.
  2. Free trade without border restrictions.
  3. Freedom of movement for people allowing you to work, be educated or get health care in any of the 25 member states.
  4. We act as a bridge to the US. Speaking the same language as them makes them come here to setup their European operations, boosting our economy further.
  5. Increased security.
  6. No more wars with Germany. A good thing, considering the old saying of "third time lucky!"

The EU is far from perfect and needs some fundamental changes to allow it too move forward, but going it alone would cost us dearly.

You could guarantee that our (now) 4th largest world economy wouldn't stay like that for long. Lets see how many of you who lose your jobs are anti-EU then?

EDIT: Just to add, down with UKIP (and the Sun for its anti-Euro campaigns, amongst other trashy things it has done). UKIP are made up of stuffy old Tories and miserable land owning gentry from Cumbria. What do they know about the real world, economics and the tangible benefits EU membership brings?

If any of you Anti-EU types can offer a convincing argument for leaving the EU, rather than wanting to keep the queens head on some worthless bits of paper, then I'm all ears. But I know you can't.

[edit on 26/2/06 by stumason]

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well I want to 'clutch' onto our measurements because they make sense, I've grown up using them and it would be a real pain learning all the new ones. I know the British currency has changed, but not that much over time.

And lets face it, most of Britain hate Europe, we have always disliked the French and most of us only go to Europe for a holiday.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join