It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuck in Reboot Cycle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well – I gave my new rig its maiden voyage last night….and it sunk….lol

I used my tax return to order a whole slew of new PC parts – I pieced them all together and decided I would use my two hard drives from my current/old computer to test it out…

This is only build number four for me…All other PCs I’ve built, I’ve started with a new hard drive and put a fresh install of XP on….This is the first time I’ve taken an entirely new PC and stuck an old hard drive with Windows already installed on it…

Everything powers up fine and I get the mobo loading screen…Can get into BIOS just fine…But if I let it simply boot to XP, I see the XP loading screen for about a second or two, then it flashes quickly to that blue error screen then gets all garbled up and restarts all in about a half-second’s time, so I can’t read what the error says…

They’re IDE hard drives…I have the one with windows loaded on it set as the master, with the other hard drive (just used for file storage) set as the slave…They’re plugged into the number one IDE plug…My CD/DVD drive is master with no slave and plugged into the number two slot…

Boot order is CD, Hard Drive (IDE1-primary), Floppy…

I have no clue what’s going on…I’ve been itching to get this thing up and going – Atholn 64 3500+, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum mobo, 2GB RAM, 256MB Nvidia 6800GS – She’ll scream once I can get her running!!

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Did you replace the motherboard?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I see you did, You have a 50/50 chance of the new motherboard finding the drivers on the HD. The motherboard stores the way to find driver, and may hold some on the board.

You are getting the blue screen of death. Put in a new hard drive and install windows all will be good. I promise.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
XP, logs various drives that are unique to the system which it is origionally loaded on. Your problem is that XP is looking for the old motherboard, memory, Bios etc.
What you can do to resolve the issue is to boot to your XP CD and do a repair instead of new install. The Device Manager will then take an inventory of the new system and load the drivers for it.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

What you can do to resolve the issue is to boot to your XP CD and do a repair instead of new install. The Device Manager will then take an inventory of the new system and load the drivers for it.

This may or may not work. It will not work if you are going from intel to AMD. It also did not work for me.

I followed this. support.microsoft.com...

[edit on 23-2-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
First, try booting into safe mode-keep hitting f-8 durning boot.
Once booted in safe mode, try running the defrager start>programs>accessaries>system tools>defragmentor.

If that does not work try this, boot to safe mode and call up a dos prompt start>programs>accessaries>command Prompt. In this box type: chkdsk /f/r

"YOU WILL NEED THE ORIGINAL LEGAL OS DISK TO RUN THAT-IT WILL ASK FOR IT"

If there is nothing irreplacable on your harddrive, may i suggest you reload the OS and distroy the partion and recreate it durning the OS loading process.

Now load your motherboard drivers and reboot

Once that is done, load direct x 9c, then sp1a then reboot.

Load sp2 and reboot

now load the rest of your software including anti-spy, firerwall, anti-virus.......

As soon as you are online, go and update your anti-virus and your anti-spyware programs. Generally this will require a reboot now.

Now see if there are more updates for your antivirus program then go to M$ and download all the rest of the updates.

Once you are done, check to see you have good drivers for all of your hardware.

Hope this helps u

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions and advice

I figured it had something to do with Windows not being able to recognize all the fancy new hardware....My poor hard drives, they went from the Compaq slums to this overnight – I think it may just be a culture shock

Luckily, I also invested in a 120GB external hard drive so I'll give each of your approaches a shot and back up everything just in case....I could stand to do a reformat anyways since I goofed and put all my superfluous program installs on the 20GB Windows partition it always defaults to

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
basically you cant switch your motherboard and use the same install of windows on that hard drive. it just wont work.. u might get lucky 1 out of 100 tries, but really the only way is to start with a freshly formatted HD and new install of OS.

i just did the same thing with my tax return

what kind of system u got together?

i bought: AMD athlon 64 x2 4200+, 1 gig of ram, 250 gig sata hd, cool black case with neon green hehe( Xion), and Asus MB.

EDIT: im blind and didnt see u already said what you bought. please disregard my question

[edit on 2/23/2006 by McGuirk]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Nice setup McGuirk

Once I get everything up and running, I’ll have to post a couple pics of it…I used to picture myself the type that wouldn’t stand for lights in his case, but…um…Well – Things have changed

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Hi EOH

You can ususally get this to work, but you'll owe me a virtual beer.

Basically XP is loading until it looks at its hardware enviornment, then it pukes because it has specific hardware drivers on record, and they only match the old hardware. So the poor thing is confused. Thats all.

The point is, you can boot to the recovery console, rename the c:\windows\system32\config\system file to system.bad, then copy the c:\windows\repair\system file into the c:\windows\system32\config folder, reboot, and install the correct software for your new hardware.

You knew that didn't you, you're just messin with us!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hey enron, here's a pic of mine :0

picture really doesnt do the green color justice... its a real nice green.

[edit on 2/24/2006 by McGuirk]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Nice! Is that a mis between green and blue or just green? Has a cool kind of alien look to it...

Well - After what seemed like forever backing up all my old files on a USB 1 port, I did a fresh install of Windows and decided to go ahead and wipe the rest of my partitions to get a fresh start....

I've been running updates most of yesterday and today, but I've finally got her running smoother than a...Well....you know....lol

I'll post some pictures a little later...Right now I'm installing WoW....

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well...Thanks to everyone for the help....It's running like I dreamed it would

Here's the photos I promised, for those interested...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2006 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am glad you got it up and running!

new topics

top topics

join