It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll says Brits are the world`s dullest people!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
How
typical. Another 'lets bash England' thread.... but those frog eating, garlic growing, beret wearing French
, invented cricket!...

If only we could export sarcasm...the world would be a brighter place
(with warm beer)

[edit on 23-2-2006 by timski]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Interesting poll here.
Arent the British responsible for games like croquet etc ? How boring is that !
Also the vile habit of tea drinking, was a British invention, at least in the western world ! Why do people drink hot water that tastes like bark? I can never figure that out !

But on the whole I guess its not in such a sorry state. I mean people like Ozzy etc have made it from the UK ! Also the club scene and pub culture are comparable

Maybe it has something to do with that silly British accent

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
...Also the vile habit of tea drinking, was a British invention, at least in the western world ! Why do people drink hot water that tastes like bark? I can never figure that out!...

Maybe if you didn't throw the tea-leaves into the harbour first, then your cuppa would taste better....seriously though, when I was in the states some time back, I actually took a big box of tea bags with me just in case...and my suspicions were proved right, you can't get decent tea for love nor money over there...

one lump?
or two?.....

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Also the vile habit of tea drinking, was a British invention, at least in the western world ! Why do people drink hot water that tastes like bark? I can never figure that out !

Hey, hey! Didn't you know, the British Empire was built on cups of tea?

And taste like bark? Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to sample some of the finer blends of tea there is. Or maybe the tea you had was expired and lacked sugar or honey. Besides, tea drinking reduces the risk of cancer.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by timski
...you can't get decent tea for love nor money over there...

Why would anyone in their right mind want to have TEA when they can have coffee, which tastes and feels much better ?
But as for Tea bags, you do get them but not everwhere because people rarely make tea.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
And taste like bark? Perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to sample some of the finer blends of tea there is. Or maybe the tea you had was expired and lacked sugar or honey. Besides, tea drinking reduces the risk of cancer.

Finer blends ? They have more blends of bark ?

Anyway, when you are on strong coffee tea is more hot water than anything else. Maybe the lack of caffine is why people dont take enough tea.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Who says you can't enjoy cofee and also enjoy tea? Why limit yourself?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Tea contains as much caffeine as coffee, sometimes more depending on the blend...

*Idea* I reckon there's a gap in the market in the US for tea-bars..like coffee-based starbux, only better...and serving marmalade on toast too!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Yeh it's not fair, if there is a bloody startbucks or Mc Donalds on every corner of my city then there should be greasy spoon cafe's slowly replacing everything in American towns. People forced to eat full English breakfast morning noon and night with only tea to wash it down ...ENDLESS TEA...FORCE FED TEAARrrhrhehhahhahahahahahahahahaha...........

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Coffee all morning (at least 10 cups), with tea all afternoon. Can't beat a nice cup of splosh in the afternoon. Just drink coffee and nothing else? I thought us Brits were supposed to be the boring ones!!! And at least we don't stick sugar in our bread

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
What puzzles me is that if I want to go out for a meal, I have an endless choice of Indian/Chinese/Italian/etc...but what if I want to go for an English? There's nowt!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by timski
What puzzles me is that if I want to go out for a meal, I have an endless choice of Indian/Chinese/Italian/etc...but what if I want to go for an English? There's nowt!

That is very true never seen a place that sells english food. I and many people hardly know what the English eat, Fish and chips they say but never seen what that really is !

Well as far as I know British cusine is mostly, tea and bread with a multitude of jams, etc . Also Scones, pudding and a variety of pies I would think.
Do you people make any thing else ?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   

[ Fish and chips they say but never seen what that really is !

hmmmm......with beer too, now that really is an English lunch. I have to say that battered cod and chips (with mushy peas) is one of my favourite meals.

Other very english food, bubble and squeek! toad in the hole! Hotpot! beans on toast?

But you cannot beat the full english (veggie for me I have a good karma diet!) breakfast

hmmmmm............

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:45 AM
link   
*High-fives IAF101*

Dude, that's exactly what I'm thinking! What are British dishes anyway? If the above is any indication, no wonder the poll says they're dull

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 04:53 AM
link   

*High-fives IAF101*

Dude, that's exactly what I'm thinking! What are British dishes anyway? If the above is any indication, no wonder the poll says they're dull

Hey don't knock our tastes in food! We may have bland tastebuds but at least we didn't invent the big mac!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Well theres the traditional roast dinner (beef, lamb, pork, chicken etc.). Lots of recipes with different types of sausages, toad-in-the-hole being my favourite (sausages with yorkshire pudding). Traditional English breakfast, which is usually pork sausage, eggs, bacon, black/blood sausage, fried mushrooms, fried tomatoes, fried bread. Many dishes using 'game' meats (pheasant, deer, grouse, hare, rabbit, partridge, duck, goose, quail, woodpigeon etc). The good old British pies (steak and kidney, minced beef, game pie, shepherds pie etc). Being the island nation we are, fish plays a large part in cooking, most traditional/common are salmon, cod, haddock, plaice, mackeral, trout but there are loads more.

Some extra information can be found
here and here

I know we've got a reputation as having pretty crappy food, but thats just a wicked rumour spread by the French! British food can be fantastic (as long as you don't think too much about what some of its made of!), a fact born out by us having a lot of the worlds best restaurants

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
If we are the dullest, then why did "American Idol" need our Simon Cowell to "spice things" up?

We also hold claim to - Timmy Mallet, old gameshows like Going for Gold, Runway and The Krypton Factor, and such classic kids shows as Pigeon Street, Knightmare and Finders Keepers (but not the vulgar new version).

And what about the booze? There's nothing better than a Newcastle Brown, not here, not in Europe, not anywhere. Newcastle Brown > Stella > Budweiser > Carling. See, we also have the worst beer, Carling, just to make things fair.

We have the best league in the world, the Premier League, along with the best team (Manchester United, of course).

And last but not least, we have NEVER owned David Hasselhof, Steve Irwin, Arnold Schwarzenegger or Mussolini . Bonus Points?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob
Pigeon Street, Knightmare

Wow now that takes me back. What about the clangers and button moon?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone

Wow now that takes me back. What about the clangers and button moon?

Classics, the lot of them, And not forgetting Bagpuss, Count Duckula, Funhouse, Roobarb, Charlie Chalk..........the list goes on, they just don't make em like they used to

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   

*High-fives IAF101*

There you go, read it and weep

14 in the top 50 goes to little old blighty, the tiny little insignificant island, and gastronomic joke

10 goes to the USA, the bastion of great cooking in the western world

Only 8 goes to France. Nuff said

<< 1    3  4 >>

join