It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi special forces assuming a greater role

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

The Bush administration has anchored its plans for troop withdrawals from Iraq on the promise of increasingly capable indigenous security units: the army, the police, border patrols and a facilities-protection service, currently totaling 227,000, although they are trained to vastly different levels of proficiency.

The new Iraqi counterterrorism unit is 70 percent Shiite, 20 percent Sunni and 10 percent Kurdish. About 65 percent have military experience, and American advisers have to take into account how Saddam Hussein used his military to quash political opponents, and how some members of today's new Iraqi military and police forces have been discovered committing abuses, even atrocities.

link

This article has given me some hope that we may see the birth of a new nation. IMO Iraq only exits on a map in some cases people put tribal loyalites before there country. We havnt seen the end of Iraqs problems but if this trend continues I could be proven wrong. A stable democratic iraq may emerge from the ashes.

I just hope that they are able to screen out any possible infitrates who seek to undermine the future of Iraq.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
keep dreaming, the Iraqis security forces are a joke and will never be cohesive, doesn't matter if they number '227000' they will never be under a unified command structure or be able to hold any territory..US only option is to abandon this failed operation uncondistionally and withdraw..another 7 American soldiers were killed today

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jajabinks
keep dreaming, the Iraqis security forces are a joke and will never be cohesive, doesn't matter if they number '227000'

For the most part I agree with you to much emphis has been placed on sheer numbers for political reasons. Mayabe at some stage this trend will be reserved . I suspect it wont be untill 2008 that we could see any change in the US Iraq policy.

join