posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Huckleberry
1) Is there a real difference (pros/cons) of doing pull ups with your palm facing away and palm facing towards you?
2) Do they build bulk or make the body more defined?
3) What is the affect of getting a wide grip or inside shoulder grip?
1) Not really, palms out works a little more of the forearm than palms in.
2) Pull ups really won't bulk you up that much, but doing wide grip palms out will define you back and lats quit a bit.
3) Close grip mainly works the biceps and wide grip works the back, lats and a little of the biceps. Starting out it's harder to do wide grip than
close grip, but after a few weeks it'll be easy because you are using a bigger muscle..your back and lats as opposed to your biceps.
Also wide grip is easier because you have to travel less distance to get you chin over the bar than if you were to do a close grip pull up. Many
people cheat themselves with pull-ups....they go half way down, or they "kip" (rocking back and front to get momentum to get a pull up), that does
not help one bit.
My reccomendation, palms out wide grip.
The Marine Corps dead hang pull up
(7) One repetition consists of raising the body with the arms until the chin is above the bar, and then lowering the body until the arms are fully
extended; repeat the exercise. At no time during the execution of this event can a Marine rest his chin on the bar.
[edit on 22/2/2006 by SportyMB]