It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self fulfilling prophecy - End of the World!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The millenium did not pan out for all those waiting for the big one, now its 2012 cant wait.

My points or questions are:

Why is it that we (A large majority of the population) seem to expect the world to end?

Why cant we just be happy for our lot and get on with it?

Seems to me that a lot of people are getting hot under the collar about their impending deaths. Anywhoooo its almost like we are trying our best one way or another to fulfill the end of the world scenario.

Am i the only person that thinks this way or does anyone care?

One last point does anyone have prophecies that see past 2012 or much later even that we are still here?

C'mon guys n gals enough with the doom and gloom its bad enough watching the news this weather.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
The millenium did not pan out for all those waiting for the big one, now its 2012 cant wait.

My points or questions are:

Why is it that we (A large majority of the population) seem to expect the world to end?

I expect many are expecting the rapture and the return of the Messiah...looking forward to it as a matter of fact. Personally, I don't think the world will end...more likely just gear down and re-focus. Not a moment too soon, IMO.

Why cant we just be happy for our lot and get on with it?

Because our lot is unsustainable. Things are gonna get difficult to maintain.

Seems to me that a lot of people are getting hot under the collar about their impending deaths. Anywhoooo its almost like we are trying our best one way or another to fulfill the end of the world scenario.

Nobody wants to die...well, not most people...(heh) But, yes, the way we're plunging headlong into what appears to be WW3 is kinda worrying, isn't it?

Am i the only person that thinks this way or does anyone care?

I care, but I'm just looking at it differently than you.

One last point does anyone have prophecies that see past 2012 or much later even that we are still here?

Yup, there's lots of prophecies that portend human life beyong 2012...maybe. Seven Fires is one.

No doom and gloom from me...I'm looking forward to the Fifth World and a new age of peace.

cheers

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Hi
No doom & gloom here awaiting the end! Tis a New Beginning for Me, Can't Wait!
Then the 1,000 year reign - nothing but peace! No Sickness, No death here, a New Beginning!
Word says, 10,000 will fall at your right, 10,000 at my left and nothing by all means will hurt you!
My Belief, may not be for everyone, but I live in Joy knowing their is no end!
And No Death! But Life, Life More Abundantly!
Angel

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The problem with humanity is the fear of the unknown. Through that fear we commit some of the worst atrocities imaginable. We will fulfill our fear of being annihilated by trying to stop the next person, race, religion, or country from ending our existence even if that is not the opposition's plan. As humans we are too arrogant to really try to resolve our issues with one another without secretly trying to defeat each other in some way.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There are plenty of prophesies that date beyond 2012. A few of them even say that it is not what it's hyped up to be. Personally I don't know, but I have the feeling that something will be going down soon.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You feel that too Barc - a lot going on latley, did you see this in Los Angeles what is happening today! Real Strange, I feel its Volcanic activity underneath, the sidewalk heated up to 103 degrees today with black goo they call it oozing up, really weird- here is the link was rather interesting, I must say!
www.dailynews.com...
Angel

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Almost like the ghostbusters 2 storyline. WIll follow the story on ATS.

Understand what your saying about feeling something happening, sense of doom - putting it down to spending too long on ATS and RENSE.

Always feel better after a few conspiracy free days.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I can see your point Munro.

Actually, I just wanted to post this flash movie about the end of the world I found. It's funny as hell:

www.break.com...

[This external flash movie is rated PG-13 for language]

...As for the end of the world being a self-fulfilling prophecy, I think you might be right. There are those persons who feel that restlessness and dissatisfaction is the nature of humans. That the masses will always whine and complain about world conditions and then when they get seriously much worse, the same people will be pining for the "good old days".

But then, I think there's too much to be gained from Armageddon, for it not to get attempted at least. Earth is becoming a zero-sum game in the minds of some of the moronic world leaders we humans have "elected".

Well anyway, your post makes me feel glad. I say keep disbelieving.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I was thinking about this today and I think theres a reason for this. If you look at your life in the western world, think of how complex and stressful it is. Also, look how meaningless many of our lives have become...everything is provided for us--food, heat, clean water, any information you could ever want (via the internet). This may seem great when you first think about it, but then you start thinking that without exploration or dependence on yourself for survival, its really hard to find something meaningful to do with your time. Also, I always feel like I'm being watched all the time. I don't think the human race wasn't meant to be kept under constant surveillance. A lot of people see the future and they hope so much that destruction of society will come so they can immediately stop worrying about their everyday tasks that they loathe so much. Most of us go our whole lives never even being in one life or death situation. Is that life?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The "End of the World" senario is pivotal in the Christian religion as it has been used down the millenia's as a means to control the masses and also has been a very profitable scheme (scam). The message of the end of the world should be corrected in the translation from Latin to English to the end of an "ERA". The date of 2012 has been bandied around for what seems like thoudands of years (Mayan Calender).
The era of aquarius is the period were are moving into roughly around the year 2010-2012 as can best be calculated using old Pagan calendars, the era of Pisces is the current era/age and is represented by the fish/fisherman but that message has been lost through the "Church" with fire and brimstone putting more bums on seats and bringing more evil "MONEY" into their coffers.
I suggest people move on from the literal end of the world senario as wether you like it or not...the end of the world will come to you eventually.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I think it's just the subset of a certain group of people. Most aren't expecting the end of the world... including most Christians.

Remember that people have been prophecying this for thousands of years and always with the "these times are SO evil and can't get worse!" logic. In fact, previous times were MUCH worse. Your property could be stolen directly by your warlord's gang of men, your family could be raped or enslaved, and you were in constant fear of starvation and worse.

I think the doomsayers need to read more history!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Every large modern religion that claims a "higher being” as the director of their society has a self fulfilling end time prophesy. For some crazy reason they all happen to end with the destruction of everything and everyone except those that follow the exact precepts that whatever God they follow expects them to fulfil. Funny that.

So far, in the generally western direction, I think we get off easy. Our days of countenance are easy to spot and it’s nowadays sponsored by someone like St Mark for the year, Timex for the week, or half price at your local supermarket for the day.

That’s hellish to some, and a hell of a relief to far more.

The Muslim world needs the same kind of iconoclasts now more than anything. No one will disagree with that.

Gnostics, Agnostics, Wiccans, Atheists, et all will all say of mainstream religion you’ve made your bed now lie in it. You can’t really argue with that either.

None of them, and many more, profess to know your fate.

Damnation Religions all work both consciously and subconsciously toward the end that their particular religion prescribes. If two or more religions, birthed from the same stories have similar end times, then all the better for the fanatics of both. They'll both be safe with whatever fanciful rewards their religion allows for dying for 'The One True Faith'. Safe in the knowledge that all was wrong with the world, and in pushing to end it, without trying to actually help it, they were right.

'An eternity in paradise', ‘70 odd virgins', Whatever.

All of us normal people will just have to lump it for Hell/Hades/ Christmas Eve Shopping/ A Slow Radioactive Death… or whatever.

For eternity.

Apparently.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Now, I'll speak as a Christian, but will not speak for anyone else, and I'll speak as far as the scriptures are concerned.

From the first days after Christa left, the early Christians were expecting His return, and in their lifetime. Fact of the matter is, there were still some events that had to take place. The explosion of knowledge, the rebirth of Israel, the falling away, the spread of the Good News, etc...

It would appear that the prophisies have just about all come to fruition. The one we aren't sure about is the spreading of the Good News throughout the entire world. If it hasn't happened, it is just a matter of time.

We also know that the generation that sees the rebirth of Israel will see the beginning of the end. What is meant by "generation" is up for speculation, but the stage is set almost perfectly.

Still, the Book says no man shall know the day or hour. Yet, it also says you can tell when spring is near, so we should have a gut feeling.

Biblical prophesies are self-fulfilling because they aren't thoughts of what might happen, but are glimpses of what has already happened. When John was taken in the spirit, he was taken to the future to see what is occuring, has occured and what will occur. Remember, G'd is not constrained by time; we are.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Evening TC. Long time no see.

Without explaining my Scottish Catholic upbringing and my inherited nose for religious bull#:

Biblical prophesies are self-fulfilling because they aren't thoughts of what might happen, but are glimpses of what has already happened. When John was taken in the spirit, he was taken to the future to see what is occuring, has occured and what will occur. Remember, G'd is not constrained by time; we are.

Let me narrow it down:

When John was taken in the spirit, he was taken to the future to see what is occuring, has occured and what will occur. Remember, G'd is not constrained by time; we are.

No, no, we're not predicting anything..

[edit on 24-2-2006 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
If and I say if a prophecy (jewish/christian) was to come true END of the WORLD
type scenario, is it just for the JEWS and CHRISTIANS or do the Muslims, Hindus, chinese, etc, etc. get a taste of the doom n gloom?

Would they not need to help fulfil a end time scenario or is it the christian religion the biggy and all others don't count?

Sorry for not putting it more poetically correct. lol.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
kegs and mazzroth

You both seem to take one Christian religion’s past exploits and stretch it over the rest like a rubber band, and most of what you are speaking of applies only to Catholism. Most Protestant Christian Religions teach salvation through the Grace, how exactly can this be construed as using “Fire and Brimstone”, to, “fill coffers, fill seats, or control the masses’, hm?

The Catholic Church is about the only Christian church that can be accused of using works as a measure of salvation, and thus as control of the masses. This they did do to great effect, which is what lead to the Protestant Reformation to begin with. I know that I am saved no matter if I never step foot in a physical church in my entire life, nor ever give them a dime, so in what way am I being controlled?

It is only through accepting Christ as my savior that I am granted forgiveness of my sins not through any works of man, “Lest any man should boast”.

In addition, it might help you to know that most mainstream Protestant Churches I know of shy away from the teaching of Escotology as it is complex and often misunderstood by its parishioners. I went to Private Religious Schools my entire life and never even heard of Revelations until someone brought it up to me when I was in High School. Most teaching on this subject is done in small bible study groups as an extra curricular style activity. Its generally not taught from the pulpit on Sunday mornings. So, with that in mind would you two care to rethink your opinions on the subject since they are obviously born of ignorance and hatred of Christianity?

Byrd

I have read plenty of history, especially being a Historicist (
) yet I still think that we are drawing very near the final events of the end times (the actual end times started in 70 AD). I of course realize that we have it better then our ancestors did, life is easier now, but things are starting to change and I truly believe they will get much, much worse very rapidly. I believe that most of this will be coming from wars and environmental changes, not from some Super Villain Anti-Christ like the Futurists are still looking for. To me the second beast of Revelations is the Capitalist Corporate controlled United States, being worldly is one of the main things that is warned against throughout the bible and we have made it into an art form beyond any other time in history, and idolatry is one of the main sins mentioned in the end times (the worship of earthly stuff).

Munro_DreadGod

You should look up what these other religions you speak of believe (well except Chinese as that is a nationality and not a religion
) Each does have its own end time’s scenario; many of theirs are also coming true at this point in time.

PS…Jews have the book of Daniel, besides many other Old Testament Books which contain end time prophecy, these are similarly used by Christians in the study of Escotology.

[edit on 2/25/2006 by defcon5]

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
You make it sound like a countdown. I have not heard of any creditable source that mentions this.

As far as i can see its a list that we are doing our best to tick off each item as they come up. Shoe horning any like disaster in just to say its a sign.

Its paranoia only I think.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hi Munro,

I am of the impression that our political masters are following a path using Christian/Muslim doctrine to take us to the brink of a great cataclysm.

Is this linked to NWO, de-population or even both? I believe both are viable options in a NWO, particularly if PTB have taken into account the World's population growth which cannot be sustained. Over the next 40 years or so we will see an unchecked World population growth of around 50%, leading to 9 Billion inhabitants on this planet by 2050.

In answer to your question; yes this is self-fulfilling, but could this have been prophisied? Yes!

Regards

J

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

kegs and mazzroth

You both seem to take one Christian religion’s past exploits and stretch it over the rest like a rubber band, and most of what you are speaking of applies only to Catholism. Most Protestant Christian Religions teach salvation through the Grace, how exactly can this be construed as using “Fire and Brimstone”, to, “fill coffers, fill seats, or control the masses’, hm?

The Catholic Church is about the only Christian church that can be accused of using works as a measure of salvation, and thus as control of the masses. This they did do to great effect, which is what lead to the Protestant Reformation to begin with. I know that I am saved no matter if I never step foot in a physical church in my entire life, nor ever give them a dime, so in what way am I being controlled?

defcon5

Being brought up a Catholic in the west coast of Scotland teaches you a lot about religion. In terms of Christian sectarianism it's second only to Northern Ireland.

Being beat up for your parents religion before you even know what religion is kinda makes you think about it.

Don't give me pish about your idea of modern Protestant vs. Catholic mythos.

I'm talking about Christianity as a whole; Involving every sect and righteous faction; every weirdo survivalist commune and money making evangelical trust account.

Stove your triumphalism of one faction over the other. They're all equal servants of "Christian hell" to me.

Your Google version of religious history is fooling no one by the way.

[edit on 25-2-2006 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Being brought up a Catholic in the west coast of Scotland teaches you a lot about religion. In terms of Christian sectarianism it's second only to Northern Ireland.

Being beat up for your parents religion before you even know what religion is kinda makes you think about it.

Don't give me pish about your idea of modern Protestant vs. Catholic mythos.

No I would say that it taught you nothing whatsoever about religion, what it did apparently do though is taught you hate. Hate and prejudice that you now stretch over everything that you consider to be from organized religion.

If what you are saying is true, then I as a protestant should want to beat the snot out of you just for having been a Catholic, but that is not the way it is. I would happily sit and discuss religion with you over a beer, even if we both came away not agreeing in the end, and I would still not consider you my enemy. What you are talking about is a schism that goes way deeper then just; “this guy is a Catholic and this ones a Protestant”. It was also very much political in nature dating back to the whole Queen Mary I Vs Queen Elizabeth I insident, this being aggravated in more recent times by the IRA (many of whom have migrated to western Scotland) and the UDA.

That being said, is it really religions fault, or the fault of politics?

I'm talking about Christianity as a whole; Involving every sect and righteous faction; every weirdo survivalist commune and money making evangelical trust account.

Stove your triumphalism of one faction over the other. They're all equal servants of "Christian hell" to me.

So you show yourself to be just as ignorant and intolerant as those that once beat you, then you wonder why this hatred has festered for centuries? Take a good look at yourself to figure out the real reasons behind their actions; it has nothing to do with religion. Religion is just a convenient scapegoat for your anger. Besides this it has become quite the popular fad to be Anti-Christian in the UK in general, so I am sure that you think being Agnostic makes you “da man”…

Your Google version of religious history is fooling no one by the way.

Being raised in a Protestant School my entire life then going to Catholic High school has obviously educated me on the origins of religion way beyond what you are aware. I only have to use google if I need to know something more specific on the topic that I am discussing, like an exact date, or to back up what it is I am saying. Besides where is it that I spoke of the history of the church anyway? Other then my mentioning that the RCC used to do unethical/unbiblical things and change its dogma at a whim as a means to power and the control of Europe up through the 1800’s, I don’t see where I discussed church history.

Do you mean that I mentioned I am a Historicist? That is a style of Prophetic interpretation, in case that is what you’re alluding too, or was this just meant to be an insult to help try and alleviate some of that hatred you have pent up…

[edit on 2/27/2006 by defcon5]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join