It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are No Atheists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
And also so long as the person who believes has not has any experiences which contradict what is considered possible by others and is also not reproducable on demand. If the reasons for the belief are such, then they will obviously not convince any others of their reality, just the person to whom they happened. The native who is fooled by the magician or illusionist is a good example, me being the native, and Copperfield being the illusionist. In each of the three performances I have attended, I have witnessed 'illusions' beyond my ability to comprehend. Not that I am hard to fool, I likely am no harder to fool than anyone else, but I am no academic slouch either. At least not according to our educational system's testing anyway. I tend to feel that their testing, particularly in my case, can be misleading. I am nowhere near as intelligent as the official results conclude, in my opinion.
As for the subject of the thread, since my fiance is an atheist, I say that there are atheists.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Black,

I used pretty much the same example for how our friendly tribal guy could experience 'miracles' of the stage illusionist. It's not so much that his sense lied to him. Our tribal friend was wholly uneducated and unable to understand and comprehend that the "miracles" performed weren't supernatural in nature. Another example I used, your name on here is BlackGuardXIII. Going through the evidence, such as, you posting under that name, you answering to that name, me seeing that name, me talking directly to you under that name. Chance's are my sense's aren't lying to me about BlackGuardXIII being your name here on ATS. If my senses were lying, so would everyone elses be here on ATS. There's a point where the whole senses argument just doesn't work as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by John bull 1

Anyway, I'll pose a question for all you believers who are tied to primitive superstitious behavior. What makes you think that your superstition is more credible than others ? From the Earth Mother, Sun God past the polytheistic religions of Norse, Greek, Roman, and Hindu to the modern monotheistic religions of Judaism,Christianity, and Islam.

Why is your God the one ?

Okay, am I wrong in the way I took this, or did you intentionally mean to call anyone with a spiritual belief primitive and superstitious? Because if that's what you meant to do, I'm not going to be answering you because your highly evolved and advanced intellectual condition probably won't be able to interpret my primitive guttural response.

So I'll just take me happy li'l self over here in the corner and fling me poo at the window and eat boogers.

Have a good day!

Hey Val.

Yes I did say that I thought those who believed in God were superstitious. I didn't say primitive though.

I really don't understand why this should cause offence. Afterall athiests have been persecuted by God worshippers for millenia. It is we that have been consistently insulted, ostracised, mutilated, cruelly murdered, or forced under duress to conform not the devout sheep (not my term but religions).

In that respect nothing has changed if you won't engage.

tra-la-la.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What are you talking about im atheist. I believe in no supreme being and that us humans will understand everything about the universe in a matter of time. We are unqiue species because we are highly intelligent. Eventually we will understand the universe and all other questions about life. But one that I don't understand is why people ask "what are we suppose to do" easy reproduce we are animals the only thing we are meant to do is reproduce. However we can also figure out anything if we use our minds and brains.

posted on Mar, 12 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
A thought came slamming into my head as I glanced over the title of this thread.

To Jack of Scythes, the original poster. You claim "There Are No Atheists" much like an Atheist might claim "There is No God". And your argument is that if they can imagine the concept of God, then they aren't Atheist.

Well, can you imagine the concept of atheist? Yes? Then, by your logic, they must exist!

Glad I could help.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_for_sum
Atheism is a faith itself;

Atheism is a belief, but not all beliefs are religions. Atheism is not a religion.

it's the faith that there is no god. The reason I say it's a faith is because there is no scientific evidence or proof that God doesn't exist.

Of course there is scientific evidence that God does not exist: the very existence of SO MANY RELIGIONS on Earth prove that. If God really existed, he would not allow so many religions to flourish.

Here is some other proof that the christian God does not exist: sex is sin, but the urge for sex was given by ...God.

Here is yet another proof that God does not exist: if time and space exists for God, then God is not an ominpotent being, because God moves inside a universe which is greater than God itself. On the other hand, if time and space does not exist for God, then the concept of God creating something is not meaningful, since creation implies a state 'before' and a state 'after'.

And here is another proof: who created God? if God is eternal, then the universe could be eternal, too. If, on the other hand, the universe is not eternal, then God may have been created by some other God. But this is illogical, as it requires an infinite level of Gods.

And yet another proof: everything around us is governed by mathematics. Mathematics means logic. Yet the church does not allow me to use logic when trying to understand God. If God is a mathematician, then we should be mathematicians too and the concept of 'you will see only if you believe' is wrong, therefore religions are a mad-made thing. If, on the other hand, God is not a mathematician, then the universe should not have laws, something which is obviously false. Therefore religion is false, and God too.

The problem is that if there is no god, then science will NEVER be able to prove it because you can't prove a negative (if something doesn't exist, it can't leave any evidence of its lack of existence).

I have just proven it for you. If you would like to stay blind, then feel free to do so.

EDIT:

Have you ever wondered what is the role of God in this? God has created 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars/planets, then created man on one of those planets... AND THEN WHAT? nothing...God's purpose is to create man...that's ridiculus!

EDIT2:

Yet another proof God does not exist: if God has already planned the future and described it to the prophets, then there is no free will, with great implications that do not need any further analysis for the quality of god we are talking about. If, on the other hand, there is free will, then prophecies are wrong, prophecies can not be, and the whole Christian dogma is thrown out of the window.

How much more proof one needs?

[edit on 13-3-2006 by masterp]

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
All fantastic points maspterp.....for a human with a conciousness that is so minuscule it barily registers on the spectrum.

Not to say your inferior whatsoever, your not. All humans are pretty much clinicly braindead in comparison to ultimate universal conciousness. To even start guessing about a being (exsisting or nonexsisting) of that cosmic size is futility itself.

People say "well if god created us where is he", personally I consider the knowledge of our cosmic exsistence and our relation to the universe we are bound to is reserved for those that shed the ego enough to realize that the day to day is not all there is. If you lean upon your own logic (keeping in mind our perspective is unmessurably small) then thats all we will receive.

I cant stand religion. Or anything it stands for. However, Ive never been closer to God in my life. In my opinion, institutional religion is a machine of ritual, dogma, peer pressure, and generally a man made abomination. Modern day man has made such an obsession over being a "catholic" or a "mormon" or an "islamic" that they have forgotten what the theme is.....why we are here.

Ditch the shoud...ditch the ego...and you can BEGIN to realize yourself as not a christian, or a man, or a body, or an earthling.....but infinitely connected.

[edit on 14-4-2006 by transparency]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Atheists do exist, always have and always will. AS for being 'faith based' or a religion unto itself, i don't think this is true at all. We cannot prove that god does not exist therefore out belief requires faith? From my perspective, why would i need to disprove the existence of something that simply does not exist??

To any that are arguing that being an atheist is faith based, let me ask you this:

I do not acknowledge the Greek deity known as Zeus as being real.
I do not acknowledge the Hindu deity known as Brahman as being real.
I do not acknowledge the Norse deity known as Odin as being real.
I do not acknowledge the Shinto deities known as Izanagi and Izanami as being real.
I do not acknowledge the Christian deities known as God/Jesus as being real.

Do you consider any of these stances as being different from the others? Which require 'proof' and which do not?

To the atheist, they are all one in the same.

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Donner]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join