It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are Building Homes on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
If one of these were in a perminent orbit above earth, and one above Mars, then it would take a spacecraft 45 days to reach Mars, and the same to get back.

Is that during what part of the orbit? I'm guessing opposition, but you never know.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
your thread is a little messed up.... no body is building homes on mars... people are building homes on earth that "simulate" how homes on mars would look like. thats what the title should have been to avoid confusion.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rouschkateer
The way the Space exploration program has stalled here in the USA, I doubt they will offer private flights anytime soon. There will need to be a bigger, sleeker, lighter, more fuel efficient shuttle developed first.

We are already giving private flights into space...Take the billionaire that was in the news a while back, he paid x amount of money to go to space for an hour...I really dont think we are that far from extended space travel. The owner of virgin records is already talking to our government about building a space port for these so called trips to space. I dont know, i hope we can do it in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Why stop at plant life? I wonder how well cats or birds would adapt to the free fall? Of course, there may be a problem of them going to the bathroom... Maybe some sort of animal diapers?

Animal pets I would think would be much better way easier to relate to a cat or bird then a plant. Bathroom time could be a problem from what I understand thats still alittle tricky for even humans in space.

I heard one astronaut say your not a "real astronaut" until you use the space toliet.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Bathroom time could be a problem from what I understand thats still alittle tricky for even humans in space.

Yeah, I really think the only way to get an animal into space would be with a diaper. I know they make them for animals. The problem would be, who wants to do it!?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Originally posted by Murcielago
If one of these were in a perminent orbit above earth, and one above Mars, then it would take a spacecraft 45 days to reach Mars, and the same to get back.

Is that during what part of the orbit? I'm guessing opposition, but you never know.

I'm actually not sure how it all works, just that the spacecraft gets in front of the plasma beam (which is pointed at Mars) and it sends it along, and keeps giving it boosts until its half way there, then stops. At that point the on orbiting Mars would turn on and push the craft away, which would slow it down so it can enter Mars' atmosphere (if landing). Its reported that for a 90 day round trip mission, would cost as much as putting a man into sub-orbit...which I think is around a quarter mill. which means is VERY cheap.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join