It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New findings suggest Pluto may have rings

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Not necessarily true. For example, some of Saturns moons like Pan are what astronomers call 'shepherd moons'. Basically they keep the rings around Saturn in place and help shape the edges of the rings. Hence the term shepherd moons.

Hey I really have no clue. I just base my guess off of how tight the orbits are. From my understanding Pluto herself has a significantly greater "wobble" from her moon's gravity than other planets. With Saturn, there is enough distance between the moons and the rings that the moons dont suck the rings up. Again I have no knowledge of the math involved, but I don't think this would be the case with Pluto.

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
I'm not quite sure what you mean about that, but here's an image of the Solar System viewed from the top down on July 15th, 2015.

You know... the alien outpost, the asteroid on the collision course with Earth... the good stuff.

> And is that screenshot from the top down or the bottom up?

[edit on 23-2-2006 by apc]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't know the maths involved either, but I've read up a lot on the Cassini mission to Saturn

What they've come up with so far is that with Saturns ring systems, certain icy moons like Enceladus may have cryovolcanoes or ice-volcanoes that replenish the rings with new material. And then some moons shape the edges of the rings with their gravitational tug. There are even tiny moons within the ring system that help keep the rings in line with their gravity.

That's what got me thinking about Pluto's P1 and P2. Perhaps they act like shepherd moons as well if the rings around Pluto can be verified. And if the rings still exists after all these years, then there must be something replenishing it. That is if there are rings. It's just my speculation, I've got nothing to back it up

<< 1   >>

join