It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

billiard balls and transfer of momentum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
billiard balls.

this is an interesting and relevent 'take' on the physics picture.
any models should keep this in mind. the thing with complicated, indepth detail study, is that sometimes we can forget the bigger, simpler picture.
this is well illustrated by howard roark's recent thread, 'will it fly'.

external image

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22/2/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Billybob, as I mentioned in the other thread physics is not my strong suit. What are you trying to say?

PS: I am proud to be the first person to give you points on this thread!

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hi billybob (point whore) lol

Only one thing to correct on this graph. We'd have to slide it over by about 25 seconds because the fall initiated somewhere around the 83rd floor and then the floor collapses (going with the pancake collapse) would be up and down with each impact.

Agreed? (It stills comes out over 70 seconds for the 83rd floor I believe.)

[edit on 2-23-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   
thanks, valhall. i'll take this moment in thread obscurity, to say, 'you're smart', and, THANKS for putting another sandbag on the riverbank.

i'm not good at marketing and negotiating. my thread title is too dry. oh, well. i'm one 'spent' points hound.

i'm a 'plodder' in the thought department. it takes me a while to understand things, because i need to UNDERSTAND them. that's why i'm still working on my personal perception of the pool theory.

the elastic factor is what i'm wrestling with.

[edit on 24-2-2006 by billybob]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Billybob, as I mentioned in the other thread physics is not my strong suit. What are you trying to say?

PS: I am proud to be the first person to give you points on this thread!

force over time. the shorter the time for a task, the more force in a hurry you need.

the way physics works is like a 1.5 volt battery. if you put two of them into a cassette walkman, they only last a small fraction of the time they would last in a CD walkman, because of the reduced friction(it's easier to spin a disc freely then it is to keep a tape in perfect tension, as well as overcoming the increased 'rubbing/friction' of the cassette mechanism)

or think of it this way... a weak person can crush a can with their hands, but slowly, whereas a strong person can crush it quickly.

and, THANKS!

i'm so going to frivolously spend those points!

[edit on 24-2-2006 by billybob]

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but I gave an example of dropping a 10 pound weight onto a bathroom scale and the readout going all the way up to like 90 before settling back down to 10. I am guessing that in your theory I could place the weight gently on the scale and it would just go up to and stop at 10.

Am I on the right track here?

PS: One hand washed the other... I get an education from you and you get points from me!

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
I don't know if you saw my post in the other thread, but I gave an example of dropping a 10 pound weight onto a bathroom scale and the readout going all the way up to like 90 before settling back down to 10. I am guessing that in your theory I could place the weight gently on the scale and it would just go up to and stop at 10.

Am I on the right track here?

PS: One hand washed the other... I get an education from you and you get points from me!

that's right.

and momentum is the agent responsible. mass in motion has kinetic energy. the bigger the mass, and the higher the velocity, the higher the energy of kinesis.

in the case of dropping a weight on the scales, gravity forces the object down. the same experiment would be coasting into a stop sign at a very high speed, and then coasting into one a slow speed over a different one with a different car.

although the weight of the car hasn't changed, and the strength of the stop sign hasn't changed, the stop sign will be pushed out of the way at high speed, and the sign will stop the car at slow speed.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I just have to put this somewhere! Cool kinetic "sculpture"

The Kinetic Sculpture is a metaphorical translation of the process of form-finding in art and design. 714 metal spheres, hanging from thin steel wires attached to individually-controlled stepper motors and covering the area of six square meters, animate a seven minute long mechatronic narrative. In the beginning, moving chaotically, then evolving to several competing forms that eventually resolve to the finished object, the Kinetic Sculpture creates an artistic visualisation of the process of form-finding in different variations. Technology: 714 metal spheres, individually controllable with millimetre accuracy; cable winches with individual high-precision motors for each sphere; software for defining animation paths and controlling motion.

seanlinnane.blogspot.com...

top topics

join