It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russians love our battleships that they posted one on their banner for Motherland Day.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I don't remember them having a battleship similar to America's, the only ship thats almost close to being as powerful as the America's is the Kirov battlecruiser. But does this show how bad or downgraded Russia's military is that they are force to use one of America's heroic battleship which is the U.S.S. Missouri I believe that helped ended WW2? Tsk Tsk.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

It's probably a Gangut class battlecruiser
most likely Gangut (1911) - Renamed Oktybyrskaya Revoltsiya, BU 1959
or Petropavlovsk (1911) - Renamed Marat, sunk 1941 but beached and used as floating battery, BU 1952

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I doubt it is that battlecruiser. Just compare thier hulls. This russian battlecruiser have cannons much closer to deck end that ship on first pic. This russian one also dont have curved deck. For me it looks like Iowa class.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The pic is of the ship in its original form 1911... it looked a lot different at 1940... just can't find a pic... but i could be Iowa, but i doubt, since US BBs had "nothing" to do with Russia during ww2... if they wanted an allied ship, i would have thinked they'd taken a RN ship, since they were the ones protecting Soviet life line to murmansk...

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
with respect i would say its more likley to be : Sovyetskiy Soyuz

rather than any american battle wagon

the fact that the ship was never built would not hinder the sovier propaganda mill

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Sorry ape but that picture doesn't look like the battleship in the poster, just look at their superstructures, they don't match.

Now look at this shot of the USS Iowa and the battleship in the poster.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If thats a 63 on the hull, then BB63 is indeed USS Missouri.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yep that's Mssouri all right.
Oops.

Some graphic designer in Moscow is about to need a new job...

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
If it is a ship like the USS Missouri it wouldnt be so bad since when that was created the US and Russia were on the same side fighting a common enemy the Axis powers.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't think this actualy show how bad or downgraded Russia's military is. It probably show that one guy over there don't care about his work much. Just picking up pictures from Internet, and mixing them. I think he didn't even noticed that battleship is american one. By the way, where did you get this picture?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Yep.. I think this just shows that some guy who photoshopped the picture was bored or lazy or trying to be funny. It reminds me of the "Bert" from Sesame Street they found in those Islamic fundamentalist protest banners.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It's the Missouri alright, seems a few Russian oficers aren't too happy about it.

www.mosnews.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Good find mad scientist

author’s incompetence

Thats pretty funny I wouldnt want to be that guy.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
I don't remember them having a battleship similar to America's, the only ship thats almost close to being as powerful as the America's is the Kirov battlecruiser.

Then obviously you never knew the Russian sea power in the first place....

Originally posted by deltaboyBut does this show how bad or downgraded Russia's military is

No - not at all. What it does show, is your lack of military knowledge.

Russia has many big, powerful ships, and this is just one of them.

Get over it.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
And you're deluded. The RUSSIANS admitted it was the USS Missouri. You can even *SEE* the 63 on the bow. Look up pictures of the Missouri, and it's a PERFECT MATCH.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Russia did make some fine ships, they could have put a Sverdelov on there, one of the best looking heavy cruiser designs ever, unfortunately the idiot that made the poster used a US ship, probably because he didn't know any better.

Graphic designers usually aren't military experts, obviously this one wasn't.

I don't think this says anything about the Russian military in general, just the guy that designed the poster.

[edit on 2/23/06 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   

I guess its better than a Chinese Battleship

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
No - not at all. What it does show, is your lack of military knowledge.

Get over it.

Then the picture in the banner must be my mistake eh? That it was not the Missouri as I have stated in my first post. What the heck means "and this is just one of them." You talking about the Missouri? Thats an American battleship. Hellooooo. As Zaphod said, the Russians admitted that the ship aint theirs. "Lack of military knowledge."

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Ha, and it apparently isn't the first time either, seems to me they need to educate their graphic designers.

From the provided link.

However, Moscow was also celebrating the Navy Day last August with banners containing image of the U.S. Nox frigate.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
LMFAO! its raining!

Originally posted by deltaboy

Originally posted by Manincloak
"Lack of military knowledge."

new topics

<<   2 >>

join