It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The day the earth stood still.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I just watched this movie for the first time and although I felt the movie kind of sucked I could see that the underlying sci-fi short story had merit to it. Anyway.. Shortly after watching this movie I stumble across the story from the new scientist magazine where they intend to develop a hyperdrive capable of faster than light travel using alternate dimensions. They plan to have a prototype in 5 years. That puts the completion of this project right around 2012. I figure once the prototype is done, if it works, it will take probably a year to really ramp up production on faster than light space ships and decide where we want to go with them.

Wouldnt it be kind of mind blowing if we develop this technology and get ready to use it and then some advanced alien race shows up on our doorstep and says we need to be exterminated before we spread like a virus into the universe.

I do strongly believe there has to be other life out there, its just improbable that there wouldnt be other intelligent life in a universe this vast. Its also very likely that they are older and more advanced than us and capable of alot more than we think is even possible yet. The odds just seem to favor it. its probability. Hell physicists say that given an infinite number of tries you could walk through a wall because its not impossible its just super unlikely. That could make a good case for advanced alien life too.

I like that date of 2012, I dont think the universe will just cease to exist spontaneously or anything like that. There are a whole lot of possibilities for how it could mark the end of life as we know it, not the end of life, just a life recognizable to contemporary mankind. It could be the birth of superintelligent A.I. on the internet or it could be Time travel or alien contact. Any number of things.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
There are aliens out there. Whether or not their civilization came about 1-2 million years before ours giving them a huge technological advantage is unknown.
I have never heard of this hyperdrive. Sounds like it's possible. Einstein never examined dimensions, or did he?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Einstein never really refuted, absolutely, the possibilites of other dimensions but he seemed to have a "spiritual" resistance to the idea of such. Odd for such a mathematical mind, but remember he said, "God does NOT play dice with the universe".
That being said, instead of Einstein maybe we should consult Lovecraft about the problems with interfering with other dimensions.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
You might be happier with

Earth Versus The Flying Saucers

or

"This Island Earth."

. . . set your interocitors on "stun."

I love cheesy 50's pulp sci-fi, although TDTESS is a bit slow in spots. That, coupled with the religious imagery, and it can be a bit much for those with a weak constitution. The savior happens to be named "carpenter," etc.

Anyway, the others are lots of fun, tho cheesy-nutty.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What magazine did this come from? Is there a link? I would love to hear more of this "hyperdrive". What kind of fuel is it based off of? Is it jet-propelled?

More, please.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think this maybe what he was refering to
hyperdrive
but I can find nothing to support his 5 year timeline.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
O my lord, sucked????? That is an old time classic!!!!! That and Visit to a Small Planet!!!!!

There have never been better movies!!!!!

top topics

join