It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is possible to position two pump jet propulsors on the side of a submarine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I know that it would increase the weight and size of the submarine, especially the width. Also that it requires having more generators, engines, etc. to have the pair of pump jets working.

It could look like something like this when having a pair of pump jet systems. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having two? Increase speed? Increase drag? Cost?

I added another pic to have a better view of the sub with two pump jets.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
i think your talking about eather a impeller like on a skido or like a sumppump. well first off those systems are LOUD just from the way it is designed as you know the best defence for a sub is to hear the badguys first and or quietly slink away. this would increse the oer all power to speed ratio so if this would be made a realaty would make a small atack fighter sub that seats 2 ..like a fighter plane of the sea. another posabilaty is a magnetic flow or some other electronic means of moving water...witch could move the sub more sicently then is curently posable especialy if you could elimanate all the moveing parts.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Well if your talking something quiet like MHD Turbines A La Red October then certainly the advantaged are obvious, speed and manouverability would be greatly improved.

Where did you get those pics by the way?

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 07:59 AM
link   
you wouldnt put two pumpjets on a sub, It would increase the noise and complexety (more to break down) too much. A single large pumpjet is the current favoured propulsion system on modern western subs and will be for quite a while. Having two would not provide that many advantages, it would be no more manouverable (manouverability is mosty limited by what the human body can take). You would probably get a small increase in speed (drag will have also increased substantially).

As for electromagneto hydrodynamics (Red October catapiller drive). In theory they would be one of the best systems to use on submarines as there are few moving parts (cooling pumps are about it). The problem is that seawater is not a good enough conductor of electricity. Systems have been designed and tested but there efficiency is very low. To get efficiency levels up to something similar to a conventional system would take very high voltages and extreamly high magnetic fields (which are beyond current technology - even with superconducting magnets).

Loved the pics tho, we may yet see subs move in that direction, but not for a while.

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   
KISS....Keep IT Simple Stupid.

increased complexity and of course costs. Detriments outweigh the advantages by far.

KISS..Keep IT Simple Stupid. Works well most of the time.

Paperplane UK is also correct about the electromagneto Hydrodynamics.
I am also curious about this in as far as how difficult is it to detect a powerful electromagnetic field underwater..and how far it can be detected??? In otherwords is it that stealthy???

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 24 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mabus the Forsaken

Where did you get those pics by the way?

www.full-metal-panic.com...

Here.
Its based on anime series Full Metal Panic. Lots of action and lots of comedy. Mech based plots, as well as subplots. I recommend it if you like anime.

posted on Feb, 25 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Thanks for letting me know

But personally, I don't think that you would see that sort of arrangement for quite some time, but if the bugs are worked out of MHD technology then I wouldn't discount the idea.

top topics

join