It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another photo phenomenon debunked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
So this morning I woke up and came downstairs, and I see this big shadow on the wall. My first thought was "holy crap, it's the mothman" shortly followed by "holy crap, it's an angel". About one second afterwards, I realized it was just a shadow. But before anything changed, I ran downstairs and got my camera and tripod to capture an image of the thing. Here it is:

The only thing that has been altered in this photo was to increase brightness, because I took the photos at about 7 AM, and even a 4 second aperture wasn't enough to capture it properly.

The image seems to be a combination of the lamp in the foreground, combined with a candle you see in front of that as well.

Today's lesson: Candlelight casts weird shadows. Any paranormal photos that include candles should probably be discredited about as fast as orbs.

Nothing paranormal per-say about the photo, but it's kinda neat like those Virgin Mary apparitions.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Beleive your have put a Angel figure infront of the Lightbulb or hid behind it and layer so we can't see causing it's reflection Shadow too hit the wall.

This could be hoax or not bud im not their so im not dissing ya buddy,try checking around it and stuff.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Yarcofin this is purely the reflection of the light coming up through the lampshade, you can clearly see the struts from the stem to the shade and the circle at the top is just distorted by angle of wall and ceiling.

Hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Did you people even bother to read his post?

I expected more of you! He wasn't saying "OMG! I have a mothman/angel/shadowdaemon in my living room!" - he was saying "Here's a shadow caused by the wierd positioning of lights - shadow-images should nearly always be discredited."

And then you come along and treat him like he thought it was real?

So once again, I ask, did you even bother to read the post?

Anyways, Yarcofin, I agree with you. This is a PERFECT example of how placements of lights can cause odd shadows, but it is ALSO a perfect example of how the human mind searches for related images all on its own.

I mean look at your thoughts, as well as the first reply, you thought "boogie-man (essentially the moth-man)" then "angel". The second poster, since he didn't read your post, also thought there was an angel-figurine in front of the candle.

Why did we all think angel? Why do we see an angel? It is but the light from the candle passing up-wards through the lamp, which causes a shadowed figure to appear on the wall. Why do we associate two large "flaps" of shadow, a bulbous "head", and a "robe" as an angel?

Why not a bird-man? Why not a lamp?

I think it helps show how we have tendencies to see what we WANT to see, and not really what is there. Tricks of the eyes ladies and gentlemen, tricks of the eyes.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
So this morning I woke up and came downstairs, and I see this big shadow on the wall.

Yarcofin, I would not recommend going to bed leaving a candle burning under a lamp shade and next to a fabric lounge suite.

This is a community safety announcement

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Swear i read it right lol...
I was just saying it's weird how it's done and you could do it with Angel figure too

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think Yarcofin edited his post after we read it

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Ye i had keep going back anyway too read bottom bit again it confusing me a bit :S

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thank you Yarium for being one of the few to actually READ the post, not just look at the pretty pictures. lol.

Beleive your have put a Angel figure infront of the Lightbulb or hid behind it and layer so we can't see

There's no angel figure. Just a clock, a candle, and a lamp.

Yarcofin, I would not recommend going to bed leaving a candle burning under a lamp shade and next to a fabric lounge suite.

Heh, someone else lit the candle when they woke up. Not dumb enough to leave a candle burning overnight. The candle is also about 2 feet away from the lamp itself or anything flammable, and enclosed (except the top) in a glass jar. So it's all good.

I think Yarcofin edited his post after we read it

Nah you're just dumb. Thanks for coming out though
. Edit was to correct image URLs and add the Virgin Mary comment. The title stayed the same since the very start, with the word "DEBUNKED" clearly in it.

The actual shadow itself is obviously the bottom of the lamp, the lampshade with light shining up through it on an angle (angel?
), and the "head" is either the lightbulb or actually the flame of the candle.

Lol, upon closer inspection, I did think of a bird actually, Yarium. But yeah, the human mind is a crazy thing, always joining things together into objects they aren't

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
yea if you look close enough, you can see the shadows of the wireframe stuff that comes down from the top of the shade into the middle where u attach it to the lamp base. and the "head" is def. the lightbulb
u can see the little screw on cap thingy just above it on the wall. definately an interesting shadow, reminds me of times when i have woken up and been freaked out by crazy shadows from a pile of clothes or some things stacked on a desk

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The picture, imho, is a simple demonstration by Yarcofin on how normal shadows, cast by normal objects, could be mistaken for paranormal events...

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I love it Yarcofin It made me smile alot.

Never the less it may be a sign,and no i dont mean that you and i are crazy.hehehehe

The mothman got to me though ecspecialy since i am currently studying that case a little.It is a good post friend thanks for sharing.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Heh, it kind of reminds me of the picture in your mini-profile, now that I look of it toraylin

And yes, I suppose just because it's explainable doesn't mean it can't be "a sign". There has to be something normal casting all those crazy Virgin Mary and Jesus faces on windows, pancakes, and grilled cheese sandwiches, right?

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
What is the mothman Case about i never really looked into it or watched the Movie about it sorry, i was going too though thanks if you explain to me

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have a great interview between art bell and the guy who wrote alot of the articles and information surrounding numerous sightings of the mothman in some small community down in the states.

This guy himself seems to think that the mothman was trying to warn people.For most or alot of people who had reported seeing the mothman died in an accident where a bridge collapsed.

The mothman is supposed to be a strange creature tied to disasters or something,you could probably find something on it in the cryptozoology section but i don't know.I can go study it more then post later if wanted.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Thats a neat trick of the light that that Candle made Yarcofin.
Oh, and I actually read the post before I looked at the pictures by the way.

Um, not much else to say..umm..some nioce furniture you have.

new topics

top topics

join