It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pros & cons of covering up the truth of UFOs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I've heard good arguments for both why it's good or bad that the government (or somebody) is covering up the existence of extraterrestrials visiting our planet. There doesn't seem to be much discussion about the pros, but one that I do find worth considering is that if the human race to find out that aliens have been visiting us, there would be the risk of world-wide chaos and people would freak out and stop working and then we'd all die from lack of production.

But again, even if that is the case, it probably is a good thing that there are people like us to balance this power. We'd be the checks and balances of this "power struggle." We'd also probably be helping the public slowly acclimate themselves with UFOlogy.

Thoughts?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
No one should ever lie... ESPECIALLY not a form of power... unless that power is told to keep the information confidential by the E.T.'s themselves... which I think may be the case at this time. Either way we'll see. That'd be the only excuse I could ever think of that wouldn't drive people into a chaotic shooting rage against the governmental lies about the ufo topic. Still... then I would not trust the E.T.'s... who gave us the Bibles? Ourselves or the messengers? Why would they tell us not to lie and then the first modern formal contact we ever have with them, is them telling us they've been lying all along?

[edit on 22-2-2006 by dgoodpasture]

MoT

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
for those who are in power i dont see any cons of covering up the UFO (cant say they are real but i do belive)... but it is the case most likley because how could those in power be independent on th E.T.'s ???? if they could fly here ... they could control those in power which means control all of us

"Why would they tell us not to lie and then the first modern formal contact we ever have with them, is them telling us they've been lying all along?"

dgoodpasture you made a great point here... why you ask ? because its in our nature to seek a lie where its most probable to appear but hiding it where its least probable is the "perfect" cover up ... note that i might be very wrong but i dont feel that way

ZEN teaching is very hard to fully comprehend but from what i've learned about it is that everything is associated to everything (basically without the yin there's no yang) and that two things of opposite nature add up to one

which is what u said ... they tell us to never lie but they've been lying all along ... i see these as opposites ... and besides i lied in my life mooore than once but i am assured that i've never hurt anyone with those lies...

which brings me to what if this whole LIE is "better"/safer than the truth for us as humans... because there would be many riots and chaos through out the whole world ---> leading to our own destruction

a pro is that those in power stay there a bit longer for sure

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Cool discussion. Good points and views presented. :0

Here's more food for thought...

Why are so many believers sooooo adamant about revealing the truth? Why is it not enough for them to just know amongst themselves the truth? There is of course, the moralistic ideal that people just must simply know, but this doesn't really tell me anything. WHY is it a moral obligation for all people to simply know??? I can understand if the truth is harming people...

[edit on 22-2-2006 by thiopental sodium]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
We can never live in a lie, for when time is a great revealer of truths. With UFOs, those in power presume we will never know the truth, for in knowing will only cause an upheaval in our ordered society, but such truths can never be hidden for long, and it will only worsen the impact much more when truth is delayed.

Only in knowing the truth will we be able to deal with it. By brushing it under the carpet will only lead us to trip and fall over it one day, injuring ourselves.

In the past, our education and technology was limited, so it was easy to deny the presence of UFOs. But in this century, it is no longer easy where even a general worker can afford a handheld camera cell phone if he wants to. Anything captured on film can be constituted as evidence. How long are those in power going to keep slapping their own faces by denying obvious truths???

In dealing with unknowns, there is ALWAYS fear, it is only natural. And with it comes all kinds of irrational fearsome hypothesises. The only thing we really have to fear is fear itself.

NEVER give it to fear, for it is thru fear that mankind can be easily manipulated, as history has proven over and over again sadly. Only truth and open knowledge will set us free to confront and come up with solutions to proceed over and beyond our present circumstances.....

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Why are so many believers sooooo adamant about revealing the truth? Why is it not enough for them to just know amongst themselves the truth? There is of course, the moralistic ideal that people just must simply know, but this doesn't really tell me anything. WHY is it a moral obligation for all people to simply know??? I can understand if the truth is harming people...

People want a validation of their beliefs. The same reason little kids ask God to turn off their light if He's real. Or a guy wants his friends to think his girlfriend is attractive. Our brain wants reasons and will interpret information to match it's preconceived constructs. Some personal truths need external validation, some don't. Depends on the person I guess. Or maybe some people feel that it's genuinely harmful to society not to know. I find it very interesting how the prospect of non terrestrial life affects our psyche or concept of reality. I would love to be alive when it happens just to see how people, society, and culture react.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Truth? What "truth"? Truth is...you can't handle the truth. If I were a self-proclaimed guardian of truth and freedom in the world (aka government bureaucrats), I would most likely handle the whole alien-conspiracy thing much like the modern truth-guardians have for the past several decades:

1. Keep the masses guessing about what the truth really is.
2. Use the surrounding confusion as cover for national security purposes.
3. Represent all Terrans in negotiations with the aliens behind the scenes.
4. Slowly release new technologies and secrets to acclimate the masses to a future of alien contact and coexistence.
5. When it all hits the fan, deny all knowledge and involvement.

Makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Many things to consider here...

1. Obviously, the aliens want to keep the secret too, as it's entirely up to them if they want to reveal themselves or not. They would not need governmental cooperation for this.

2. If their purposes are sinister, it certainly makes sense to hide this.

3. If their purposes are benign, the impact must be monitored and meted...
Think of it this way. Let's say the aliens introduced just ONE advance...a clean burning engine that requires no fossil fuels, etc. Just this one introduction has the potential to completely collapse the world economy. Car sales halt, as consumers wait for the new engines. Gas stations go bust, the oil companies go under, the airlines struggle to retool...all with millions of unemployed people with no marketable skills (as the skills are now obsolete). A similar thing happened to the scribes of Europe after the printing press...but think of this on a much larger and more global scale. With economies collapsing, wars for resources wage, etc. This ONE little thing suddenly brings about the apocolypse... Now, imagine just a handfull of such advances, suddenly realized.

4. What if their purposes have yet to be stated, and any meeting between them and government has been guarded at best? Without knowing their agenda, would YOU go public, as a government official?

5. The aliens have shown a keen interest in defense installations. Most early sightings were all around such sites. There are even cases of direct interference with operations. Surely, this isn't something you'd want the people to know, that there are intruders in your airspace, you're charged with protecting them, yet there's nothing you can do about it. Not exactly something you want to say at a press conference.

To be perfectly honest, as interested as I am in the topic, even I wouldn't just support total disclosure. I think it has to be done in stages...but much faster than we're seeing. Something like this....

1. Announce the find of water elsewhere....(NASA has pretty much done this already)
2. Announce the existence of extra-terrestrial microbes (kind of did this, but then suggested terrestrial contamination possibilities)...
3. Announce the discovery of extra-terrestrial insect life (as the majority of species on Earth (more than all others combined), it's likely most ETs are insectoid, if we apply our ideas to other worlds). This would likely be fossilized, such as in meteorites, etc. or on other planets by robotic probes.
4. After the announcement of such complex life forms on other worlds, the public will be better equipped to deal with the idea of sentient life elsewhere being not only a possibility, but a likely one. In addition, some of the newer ideas in physics will have to be "dumbed down" and made palatable to the masses in order to understand the possibility of interstellar travel.
5. The media would be brought on board, to stop ridiculing the topic, and these previous steps would go a long way towards this.

Then, you'd be in a good position to present aliens...but of course, only if their motivations were not unpleasant. I sometimes think the best evidence for a malicious motive, is the fact that neither they, nor the government, has let the cat out of the bag yet..

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
cedargrove, that makes a lot of sense and probably describes a good majority of the incentive behind believers' desire for disclosure. Psychology major (i'm interested in psychology as well, but only casually)?

SeekerofTruth101, I actually believe that with enough power, you CAN keep a secret if you're careful enough. But again, technology seems to be growing AND also becoming more accessible to the public at a rate faster than the government can keep up. This may be a cause in the near future when the government must surrender to the public.

Gazrok, that makes a lot of sense. I think you are probably right now that you explain it that the aliens' motive(s) are sinister. Of course, "sinister" is purely determined by an arbitrary standard of "morals." What is sinister to us may be benign to them. Or if they don't have the same kind of thinking and consciousness as we do, it may be like calling an eagle evil because it kills rabbits and mice. Or a dolphin is evil because it has been observed to play and toy with its prey before finally killing it. But yeah, I see what you're saying. What matters is if it's sinister TO US. Because the government has good reason for not wanting the public to find it out that the military is powerless against a potentially dangerous (extraterrestrial) force. Maybe the government feels that it's best for the public to FEEL SAFE, confident, and protected.

[edit on 23-2-2006 by thiopental sodium]

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I, for one, am one of those people that has had an opportunity to cover most of the entire United States and the Greater parts of Canada,(including Alaska) and I have seen many different thing's that were of interest to me and apparently others.
My Father was a truck driver and I used to go everywhere with him in the summer time or during school breaks. There has been more than one instance where we both seen something and could not talk to anybody but our selves about it. It would always start out,"Did you see that?!" LOL
Because what was once reality,just for a moment became insanity with visual aids. Our Universe is huge to say the least and to think that people are trying to debunk the one's that are trying to find the answers to put the issue to bed as for the validity of the existance of such crafts and possible E.T.'s, The truth would set them on thier heels and put thier eye's wide open.
"I know,for I've seen it with my own eye's, that something is out there."
Great thread!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yes, the truth is out there. Will we (meaning the majority of ordinary Joes and Janes) ever know it? I think not. We will, however, know more than we know now. Perhaps after this "WWIII-apocolypse" in the next 6 years pans out and we get our 1000 years of peace, then we will definitely know more. Some of us that are lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time know more, but just fragments. That keeps the government secret agencies safe.

I too, know there is something out there, and here, but only from my point of reference and experiences. I wish I knew more. Some of us who know bits are trying to gather bits and make bigger pieces of the puzzle, but that takes time and lots of effort, not to mention risk. It's slowly happening. But slowly. We all have conflicting data and experiences. But we are working slowly to an end to this mayhem of half truths and disinformation.......

new topics

top topics

join