It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion Rocks Shi'ite holiest site

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I also believe that it may have been Iraqi soldiers US will not be wearing uniforms while doing special ops.

Also US is also known from staying back as an observer even when they know something major is about to happen that doesn't concern them but may help in some other way.

I still feel that blowing such temple is going to have some very bad repercussions.

Specially when the Iraqi leader now in government was going public telling the tribal members to stop violence that was just two days ago and look what happen.

He also was aiming to the violence against Sunnis that seems to be in the raise lately.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
That kind of activity is only done by extremist minorities.

exactly,
i will admit and some will agree, i am openly against America, but seriously, US government or agents are not stupid enough to spark a Civil War that has the potential to cause chaos in the whole of the muslim world.

US may have, and may still do, support terrorism, but this is something that will not sink too

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
From the report that Benevolent Heretic noted, apparently the Shia's are of the mind that this was done by the Sunnis.

Its possible to speculate that anyone did this, including Shias. In the end, it seems most obvious that a group of sunnis have done this. The shia and sunnis have a long standing rivalry, the country is somewhat anarachic right now, and something like this is expected.

No doubt, al-Sadr's Mahdi Army is extremely popular right now.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
From what I understand, Shia Islam beleives that the 12th Imam, not recognized by the Sunnis, is Mohammed Mahdi. They beleive that he went into Occultation, became hidden, and never died, and will return to take command of an army and bring about the apocalypse. The Sunnis too beleive that a man called the Mahdi will appear at the apocalypse, but they don't beleive that he is the man named Mohammed Mahdi.

many believe mahdi has already arrived and that would be usamah bin laden

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Associated Press

Shiite leaders called for calm, but militants attacked Sunni mosques and a gunfight broke out between Shiite militiamen and guards at the offices of a Sunni political party in Basra. About 500 soldiers were sent to Sunni neighborhoods in Baghdad to prevent clashes between the sects, army Capt. Jassim al-Wahash said.

The Iraqi Islamic Party, the country's largest Sunni political group, said at least 60 mosques were attacked, burned or taken over by Shiites.

In Basra, Shiite militants traded rifle and rocket-propelled grenade fire with guards at the office of the Sunni-led Iraqi Islamic Party. Smoke billowed from the building.

Shiite protesters later set fire to a Sunni shrine containing the seventh century tomb of Talha bin Obeid-Allah, a companion of the Prophet Muhamm.

Protesters in Najaf, Kut and Baghdad's Shiite slum of Sadr City also marched through the streets by the hundreds and thousands, many shouting anti-American and anti-Israeli slogans and burning those nations' flags.ad, on the outskirts of the southern city, but there was no immediate word on the extent of the damage or any casualties.

Elsewhere in the capital, about 40 Shiite militiamen sprayed a Sunni mosque in eastern Baghdad with automatic fire.

Gunmen in a speeding car shot and killed Sunni cleric Sheik Khalil al-Dulaimi as he was entering the al-Rashidi mosque in eastern Baghdad, the Iraqi army said. A street vendor was killed in another mosque attack.

"We are facing a major conspiracy that is targeting Iraq's unity," Talabani said when he received a delegation from Salahuddin province, which includes Samarra.

Indeed it is a Conspiracy.

Whoever did it, had a Very Good reason to choose this kind of Target of High Religious Importance - as this exact Mosque.

And whoever did it, knew what results it would have - the ones that you can read in the Article above.

Exactly how hard it is to put the Blame on the regular Public Enemies when the Shiite mosque is attacked - who you gonna blame?

The Sunni's.

OR ofcourse - the Notorious, the Enigmatic, the Phantom, Al-Qaeda.

Choose your Poision.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I guess is not doubt in our minds that this will bring the worst civil unrest we will see since the Iraqi government was established.

I hate to speculate as the role of our soldier in all this, I think that they should let the political and clerical leaders get involve and US should stay in the background as much as possible.

This is going to be very ugly.

Expected but ugly.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
A muslim blowing up a muslim mosque, 2nd Holy site to all muslims next to mecca, yeah right

divide and rule
Illuminati trying to fan the flames ready for ww3 in end of march.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is a tradgedy, to attack a holy site is atrocious. The only thing worse is American citizens thinking their government was involved. This is a war in that region 1400 years old, which was described very well in a previous post.

Saddam did hold control through fear and intimidation, and the US liberation of Iraq shows that those parts of the Arab world are not ready for democracy, nor are prepared.

I hope those who claim responsibility are dealt with swiftly.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by fattyp
many believe mahdi has already arrived and that would be usamah bin laden

Who beleives this? I haven't seen any muslim groups calling him as such. Bin Ladin doesn't qualify as the mahdi since he is a yemeni and not related in any way to Mo. Not to mention that he's a vile un-islamic murdering dirtbag, and a vile un-islamic murderer of women and civilians wouldn't be allah's representative on earth. That and the fact that he is performing miserably in this war, unable to even field an army. The mahdi doesn't get defeated or hide in a cave amoung his own excrement like bin ladin the pig.

marg
I think that they should let the political and clerical leaders get involve and US should stay in the background as much as possible

Then what is the point of being there? Any anti-government militias in Iraq will be targeted and destroyed by the US Army. If al-Sadr actual moves openly against the Iraqi government, I doubt he will get the special treatment he received before.

[A muslim blowing up a muslim mosque, 2nd Holy site to all muslims next to mecca, yeah right

Why is this in the least bit unbeleivable? Muslims aren't some monolithic group that allways protects itself. Shia and Sunni Islam have been at each other's throats for centuries. Indeed, its interesting that you mention the illuminati. The Ismaili sect of islam, closely associated with the Shia, are seen as the "Illuminati of the East", in so far as, whenever there is rumour of a dark conspiracy, its allways the ismaili or shia that are said to be behind it (by the sunnis). The Sunnis don't revere Shi'ite mosqes, the practice of Shia traditions/religion in Saudi Arabia, for example, is entirely illegal. The Sunnis beleive that the Mahdi is someone that will come about, the Shia beleif, that there is a 12th imam, that he's been 'occulted', and that he will physically return, must seem as an utter perversion of the 'core' islamic faith of the sunnis. Of course the sunnis and shia's attack and kill each other, this incident is hardly the first, and it certainly won't be the last.
As far as 'divide and conquer', who needs to conquer and occupy iraq right now? The americans? Clearly not, the americans have already invaded, destroyed, and now occupy the country. Having shia and sunnis engage in open internicene warfare with each other only damages US or even "Illuminati" interests in the region. Its the dis-empowered sunni strongmen that are the ones that need to divide and conquer, that will benefit from civil war and that will be able to take power in such a situation.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
US are not stupid enough to spark Civil War in Iraq, to think that the US would bomb Shi'te holiest site, is crazy thinking. The area is full of sectarian(sp?) violence. im not suprised this happened.

This attack would be like protestants bombing the vatican

Aren't we? I am not saying this is the case but let me create a scenario for ya.

An unamed government whose name rhymes with the UNITED STATES, sees a way to distract the worlds eyes by creating a rift in the sunni and shia populace and even fanning the flames. An agency whose name rhymes with the CIA infiltrates the Holy of Holies at Mecca and plants a nuke. A few more reprisals and WHAM. Off goes the nuke. Or even maybe the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa with a tactical nuke. The Israeli's are the only locals equiped to handle the problem and the third temple is built along side a new and improved dome of the rock thereby fostering peace and good will. Just a crazy thought.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

i will admit and some will agree, i am openly against America,

errrr, you are? Is it the government or the peoples you are at issue with? And if you are against the government how can you side with the idea that it isn't our fault. If you were truely against us then you'd be foaming at the mouth like most do around here that it is always our fault for everything...my .02

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Questioneverything
A muslim blowing up a muslim mosque, 2nd Holy site to all muslims next to mecca, yeah right

It has been done in the past.

Al Qaeda attacks Shiite Mosque

'Suicide bomb' at Afghan mosque

January 20, 2005: A suicide bomber exploded inside the Ghocha Park Mosque

Edit to add a few more just to rub it in

Source

Pakistan mosque bomb kills 30

Now what was that you were saying about muslims not bombing mosques?

[edit on 2/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I'll insinuate that the US did this too.

Look up pics and you'll see how that building got all kinds of f'ed up.

Ask yourself what kind of explosive someone could walk into a place with, and do that kind of damage.

This is just like the Bali Bombing. I really doubt it was a conventional weapon.

Unless I see some damned convincing evidence to the contrary, I'm now of the opinion that a certain unmentionable US device was exploded in that building.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
This is a tradgedy, to attack a holy site is atrocious. The only thing worse is American citizens thinking their government was involved.

A thought, a speculation is worse than blowing up a holy shrine?

On topic:
I think we can all agree that the most likely effect of this move would be a civil war in Iraq. Muslim against Muslim. Who would benefit from that? Is it what the Shia want? A civil war? I don't know.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneGodJesus

An unamed government whose name rhymes with the UNITED STATES, sees a way to distract the worlds eyes by creating a rift in the sunni and shia populace and even fanning the flames. An agency whose name rhymes with the CIA infiltrates the Holy of Holies at Mecca and plants a nuke. A few more reprisals and WHAM. Off goes the nuke. Or even maybe the Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa with a tactical nuke. The Israeli's are the only locals equiped to handle the problem and the third temple is built along side a new and improved dome of the rock thereby fostering peace and good will. Just a crazy thought.

Yes it is a crazy thought, to think (and it doesn't matter whose doing the so called thinking, CIA or rabid funnymentalist Christian, Jew or Muslim) that doing anything of the kind would thereby foster peace and goodwill. Such toxic and yes evil thought is one of the byproducts of a literalist worldview. If that is the type of God these people believe in, then it is not a god worth believng in.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
I'm now of the opinion that a certain unmentionable US device was exploded in that building.

Don't be ridiculous.

If the bomb was anything other then a conventional one as you are implying more people would have died.

[edit on 2/22/2006 by shots]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Then what is the point of being there? Any anti-government militias in Iraq will be targeted and destroyed by the US Army. If al-Sadr actual moves openly against the Iraqi government, I doubt he will get the special treatment he received before.

We should not be there by now, Iraq has an elected government, Iraq has a police force, Iraq has a military force.

So, let the government of Iraq deal with their insurgency, tribal rivalry and civil unrest.

That is why the administration made sure that they do have a government of their own.

Occurs. . . . is all for show and US is still the occupying forces in charge. Right?

But that is not what our government tells us.

Let Iraq handle their own domestic problems.

[edit on 22-2-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
I'll insinuate that the US did this too.

Look up pics and you'll see how that building got all kinds of f'ed up.

Ask yourself what kind of explosive someone could walk into a place with, and do that kind of damage.

Unless I see some damned convincing evidence to the contrary, I'm now of the opinion that a certain unmentionable US device was exploded in that building.

Geez, may I suggest an age-old, readily available, and commonly used explosive [device] such as C-4?

source:
A small amount of C-4 packs a pretty big punch. Less than a pound of C-4 could potentially kill several people, and several military issue M112 blocks of C-4, weighing about 1.25 pounds (half a kilogram) each, could potentially demolish a truck.

On the low-end 40-50# would do the trick rather nicely. Hell, I can easily carry 50+#, at a dead run.

You, obviously, have no comprehension as to the explosive capabilities of commonly used, and readily available, conventional means.

for now ...

[edit: BBcode]

[edit on 2/22/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The US has a policy where they are not allowed to attack Holy sites, and there are many cases where insurgents hole up in mosques.

There is NO reason for the US to conduct this type of operation, and this is a Moslem thing. THey are of the same religion with different beliefs. Think black catholic and southern baptist as an easy analogy. Very different views, however in the US civil rights have prevailed. These people are still back in the middle ages in some cases. Blindly following a religion that is all they know.

AS the other links suggest, there are many accounts of these types of attacks.

As far as anyting other than a convential weapon, you are kidding, right?

Please give a valid reason that the US would need to use this for?

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
If the bomb was anything other then a conventional one as you are implying more people would have died.

What exactly leads you to believe this?

Hell, they don't even know how many people have died yet.

I'm just looking at the damage to the building. Im assuming it was detonated from inside, and not by somebody dancing on the roof, since most of the damage seems to have been done to the insides of the building. And yet look at the dome itself.

That was one hell of a bomb.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join