It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forensic Scientist Could Predict Your Surname From DNA (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Researchers from the University of Leicester, UK, have devised a method to predict a suspect's surname from DNA evidence at the crime scene. The technique compares the Y chromosome between two men with the same surname to match the identity of a suspect. Just like a surname, the Y chromosome is passed down from father to son.

news.bbc.co.uk
Forensic scientists could use DNA retrieved from a crime scene to predict the surname of the suspect, according to a new British study.

It is not perfect, but could be an important investigative tool when combined with other intelligence.

The method exploits genetic likenesses between men who share the same surname, and may help prioritise inquiries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although it is far from perfect, this technique can supplement current 'DNA fingerprinting' techniques to allow criminal investigators to narrow down the suspects list.

However, it seems that this method only works for male suspects, as it looks for matches in the Y chromosome. Perhaps in the future, a technique that exploits the mitochodrial DNA that is passed down the maternal line can be devised.

Related News Links:
www.sciencedirect.com

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic for me, because I do not believe in random chance,
and statistical probability is far more likely to yield the correct results. Nothing is 100% certain (or is it?) is DNA 100% proof positive of Identification? Seems that society is hedging its bets on the results. I have this friend Bob who worked at the US Census Bureau, who put together this genealogy list.. What's in a Surname. The thing that is interesting about this is...

The name SMITH is the most common Surname, ranking #1 occurring with 1.06% frequency.

I wonder if DNA could actually tell if a person was a "SMITH"? Do ya catch my drift?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This also fails to take into account names that have been changed (for example, Ellis Island). Would the results give the pre-name change or the post-name change?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'm afraid that surnames don't pass so much in a patrilineal way as they once did and that is becoming more common.

I've seen a family where all the children were from the union of one man and one woman, though unmarried, and the children carried three last names among them, representing the father, the mother and the mother's mother's maiden name.

Variations on this theme are not as uncommon as one might think.

[edit on 2008/9/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The Surname/DNA thing was interesting because if History is any indicator of the Future. One has to look at Statistical data.. Given names like: George, John, Abraham, Harry, Richard, etc are all Judeo-Christian names.. A name like "Barack Obama" represents something completely different. My opinion, this is a sublimity that will bias the vote. Perhaps Barack Obama should have legally changed his name to "James Smith". Note: James Smith is the most common given name/surname combination. Can you see how the automatic bias?

So, What's in a Name? I may be wrong on this whole subject, but does History repeat itself? Or are we in for a paradigm shift? I am sure that either way, we end up with a good man... but I am just saying. The market, the us election, etc are influence by sentiment. So I am just observing the social factors involved here. I wonder if the web-bots are examining the same statistics??

Regards,

-map

join